Anyone lost bookmarks??

uketutor

Jan 24, 2008, 8:08:31 PM1/24/08
to GMarks
Just found all but a handful of my google bookmarks have disappeared
from the site as well as Gmarks. I'm not alone, there are a number of
postings at the Google Web Search group, seems we all lost them
today. Anyone else facing this here? Has this happened before? I'm
frantic....

scott.kevin

Jan 24, 2008, 8:33:11 PM1/24/08
to GMarks
I lost my bookmarks today as well. Looks like they ended up in the
Notebook service.
/My Account/Notebook.....

John Marshall

Jan 24, 2008, 9:10:01 PM1/24/08
to GMa...@googlegroups.com
There have also been some reports at the Google Bookmarks group, although Google wouldn't see them there since it isn't really a 'Google' group. I haven't had this problem and you are the first one to report it here. Do you use the google toolbar in IE or Firefox, or just the site and GMarks?

Do you see your bookmarks in google notebook? http://google.com/notebook. You should be able to see bookmarks in the Unfiled notebook if they are there. There is a chance they are in the Trash in notebook, too.

GMarks still currently gets its bookmarks from the google bookmarks service. I looked into taking them from Google notebook when the bookmarks+notebook merger first started, but there was no way to get more than 20 bookmarks at a time because the max number argument just didn't work. I'll look and see if that has changed.

RGS CAN

Jan 24, 2008, 9:41:32 PM1/24/08
to GMarks
I just discovered all but a handful of my bookmarks are gone as well.
I normally use them from the google toolbar in Firefox.
When I opened my google notebook they are all still there with the
proper categories.
Any suggestions to getting them back?

Ray

On Jan 24, 9:10 pm, "John Marshall" <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There have also been some reports at the Google Bookmarks group, although
> Google wouldn't see them there since it isn't really a 'Google' group. I
> haven't had this problem and you are the first one to report it here. Do you
> use the google toolbar in IE or Firefox, or just the site and GMarks?
>
> Do you see your bookmarks in google notebook?http://google.com/notebook.
> You should be able to see bookmarks in the Unfiled notebook if they are
> there. There is a chance they are in the Trash in notebook, too.
>
> GMarks still currently gets its bookmarks from the google bookmarks service.
> I looked into taking them from Google notebook when the bookmarks+notebook
> merger first started, but there was no way to get more than 20 bookmarks at
> a time because the max number argument just didn't work. I'll look and see
> if that has changed.

uketutor

Jan 24, 2008, 9:43:05 PM1/24/08
to GMarks
The same handful I'm left with are listed in Google Notebook. A few
additional ones (about 20)under unfiled bookmarks and in trash.... I
had over1,800!! I just use the site and Gmarks.

On Jan 24, 9:10 pm, "John Marshall" <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There have also been some reports at the Google Bookmarks group, although
> Google wouldn't see them there since it isn't really a 'Google' group. I
> haven't had this problem and you are the first one to report it here. Do you
> use the google toolbar in IE or Firefox, or just the site and GMarks?
>
> Do you see your bookmarks in google notebook?http://google.com/notebook.
> You should be able to see bookmarks in the Unfiled notebook if they are
> there. There is a chance they are in the Trash in notebook, too.
>
> GMarks still currently gets its bookmarks from the google bookmarks service.
> I looked into taking them from Google notebook when the bookmarks+notebook
> merger first started, but there was no way to get more than 20 bookmarks at
> a time because the max number argument just didn't work. I'll look and see
> if that has changed.

John Marshall

Jan 24, 2008, 9:48:49 PM1/24/08
to GMa...@googlegroups.com
For me (and I think most people) they should be in both locations. That is how it was when they first merged anyway. After looking at Google Notebook it seems nothing much has changed with their feed. I don't *think* it will let me retrieve more than 20 bookmarks at a time, which makes things a little bit of a pain. Using the Google bookmarks service I can get 1000 bookmarks at a time. That just means its not likely I'll be switching GMarks to pull from Google Notebook. Maybe there is something I'm missing though.

uketutor

Jan 24, 2008, 10:39:58 PM1/24/08
to GMarks
Thank goodness, my bookmarks are sloooowly reappearing in unfiled. Is
there a way to get them back into GMarks? Will Google have a fix?

On Jan 24, 9:48 pm, "John Marshall" <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For me (and I think most people) they should be in both locations. That is
> how it was when they first merged anyway. After looking at Google Notebook
> it seems nothing much has changed with their feed. I don't *think* it will
> let me retrieve more than 20 bookmarks at a time, which makes things a
> little bit of a pain. Using the Google bookmarks service I can get 1000
> bookmarks at a time. That just means its not likely I'll be switching GMarks
> to pull from Google Notebook. Maybe there is something I'm missing though.

John Marshall

Jan 24, 2008, 11:32:50 PM1/24/08
to GMa...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't expect Google to fix anything quickly. I'm not even sure if this is on purpose or an accident.
I just saved my bookmarks to an html file just in case. I'll try and write a script tomorrow that can re-add some of the bookmarks if they do in fact exist in notebook and not google bookmarks. I wish I could do more to help...

John Marshall

Jan 24, 2008, 11:54:06 PM1/24/08
to GMa...@googlegroups.com

Giblets

Jan 25, 2008, 10:22:06 AM1/25/08
to GMarks
Most of my google bookmarks went awol last night too.
They are back now, but I wasn't happy in the interim!

Perhaps GMarks could be modified to automatically back up google
bookmarks daily, as Firefox does with its own internal bookmarks?

Great add-on by the way, so much less intrusive and bloated than the
Google sync tool.

On Jan 25, 4:54 am, "John Marshall" <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They seem to be aware of it now:http://www.google.com/support/firefox/bin/answer.py?answer=87089&topi...
>
> On Jan 24, 2008 11:32 PM, John Marshall <johnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't expect Google to fix anything quickly. I'm not even sure if
> > this is on purpose or an accident.
> > I just saved my bookmarks to an html file just in case. I'll try and write
> > a script tomorrow that can re-add some of the bookmarks if they do in fact
> > exist in notebook and not google bookmarks. I wish I could do more to
> > help...

uketutor

Jan 25, 2008, 11:55:46 AM1/25/08
to GMarks
And mine are all back as well...

+1 on the backup recommendation from Giblets...
Message has been deleted

ekbworldwide

Jan 25, 2008, 7:12:19 PM1/25/08
to GMarks
> +1 on the backup recommendation from Giblets...

Usually gmaks reads about

Google Bookmarks (9,000)

today it reads

Google Bookmarks (996)

John - I really hope you make an firefox bookmark extension for FF 3.

ekbworldwide

Jan 25, 2008, 8:08:35 PM1/25/08
to GMarks
For anybody still having problems - check this thread:

Google Bookmarks issue now fixed :-) - Something's Broken | Google
Groups
http://groups.google.com/group/IEToolbar-Group-Bugs/browse_thread/thread/f426481ff7060e6d/964c827e8b743cc9#964c827e8b743cc9

The label was premature - I'd say "probably almost all fixed".

And gmarks is getting there....

Google Bookmarks (7,800)

John Marshall

Jan 25, 2008, 8:46:20 PM1/25/08
to GMa...@googlegroups.com
That is a crazy number of bookmarks. That means GMarks needs to make around 9 requests just to download all of your bookmarks... wow. I only have 735. I never had issues with lost bookmarks like others did.

ekbworldwide

Jan 25, 2008, 9:13:29 PM1/25/08
to GMarks
> That is a crazy number of bookmarks

I use imdb and gmarks like a movie database - setting it up took too
much time to admit - but now it works like a charm.

I'm a bit unclear about the number shown at the top the gmarks
sidebar: Google Bookmarks (x)

x is the "everything" right? folders, sub-folders, and bookmarks? Or
just bookmarks?

John Marshall

Jan 25, 2008, 9:15:10 PM1/25/08
to GMa...@googlegroups.com