Fwd: [mohe] See Bev Harris in action

1 view

Hoffman

Feb 17, 2006, 6:30:18 PM2/17/06
to nostolene...@yahoogroups.com, GKCDFA GKCDFA, KC 4 Kerry
this may be of interest.

---------------------------------
There is an initiative at BBV to make videos, taken by
Bev and others,available on VideoGoogle. Links to the
ones currently available are inthe original message
included below.

Anwar Adi, who has been doing the heavy lifting on
this project, hasposted some of his developmental work
here. It is "Whyare throwing away ballots and poll
tapes", only with text scroll, whichadds information
that you don't get from the audio. I recall that
therewas some discussion earlier about whether or not
the final comment wasappropriate, and I am sure if
that question has been resolved. Thisparticular link
may only be available for a short time. Further, If
youdon't have broadband, this one may not be for you.
It is a 17MB fileand Windows downloads the whole thing
before it starts playing. (TheVideoGoogle links start
playing immediately after the page loads.)

Question. Would it be useful to provide the "Valusa
link" and the "Canyou spot a memory card swap?" link
to the BOEC and County Board members?

Feb 20, 2006, 11:16:50 AM2/20/06
to Greater Kansas City Democracy For America
Here is good link for election reform info
http://www.votersunite.org/

Please proceed with caution when getting info from Bev Harris. There is
a good history of her and BBV on DU:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=203&topic_id=340188

Hoffman

Feb 20, 2006, 11:22:35 AM2/20/06
to GKC...@googlegroups.com
Another one is votetrustusa.org. Bev Harris does have
detractors, unfortunately, and some of her tactics may
raise eyebrows, but she and her crew at
blackboxvoting.org do excellent work. They're also a
valuable source of information.

teacher

Feb 22, 2006, 12:19:29 AM2/22/06
to Greater Kansas City Democracy For America
Posted with permission from the author:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
According to Montesquieu:

Political liberty is to be found only in moderate governments.... It is
present only when power is not abused, but it has eternally been
observed that any man who has power is led to abuse it; he continues
until he finds limits. Who would think it: Even virtue has need of
limits. So that one cannot abuse power, power must check power by the
arrangement of things.
--MONTESQUIEU, THE SPIRIT OF THE LAWS, bk. XI, ch. 4, at 155 (Anne M.
Cohler et al. trans., Cambridge Univ. Press 1989); id. ch. 6, at 157

And, another observant quote for elections officials seemingly shocked
at the notion of inside jobs as a primary threat to elections:

"Do not neglect during a period of administration by the virtuous to
provide against succession by the incompetent or corrupt, for that time
will come. Wise and just magistrates encourage us to relax our
vigilance, but that is when it is most important to exercise strict
safeguards."
- Jon Roland

Those of you too polite to tell the truth to elections officials
(namely, that they have NO BUSINESS even asking for "trust" which is
inappropriate in a system of checks and balances) you can use the quote
above to flatter the current officials while still preparing for the
possibility if not the overwhelming likelihood of future corruption
given the temptation. And if these officials don't think the temptation
is enormous, they **must not love their country enough** to realize how
valuable and coveted controlling it would be.

Speaking of being "offended" by not being trusted: Imagine Congress
getting all bent out of shape because the courts reserve the power to
check the Congress's unconstitutional exercise of power with judicial
review, by whiningly protesting: "But we in Congress would NEVER EVER
EVER deign to pass an unconstitutional bill!! You should trust us!"
When, Congressional history is replete with unconstitutional acts of
Congress, some of which sit on the books still unreversed by the
Courts, given the Courts' requirement for a proper "case or
controversy" to be before the Courts before an issue can be ruled on.

When there is no power checking power, the Framers thought fraud and
abuse inevitable, if not already present.

If the Framers had to choose between what are today being called
tinfoil hatters and the Pollyanna election officials described in other
Pilgrim hats and don the tinfoil, in a heartbeat, if that's what it
really took (the "tinfoil" label is a gross distortion, however).

And here's the reason why they'd prefer the tinfoil, in an excerpted
quote from a much longer law review article that I think is accessible
and shows that the idea that trust has no part in our government has an
enormous Constitutional validity and American resonance, and indeed the
author below calls the Constitutional convention itself "a feast of
distrust":

CARDOZO LAW REVIEW
REPRESENTATION AND NONDELEGATION:
BACK TO BASICS
Marci A. Hamilton*

The Framers assumed that every individual exercising power would be
tempted to misuse that power either by underutilizing it or by using it
overly aggressively.<13> At the same time, they expressed hope that
their project of effecting a system of government would preserve
liberty. This is what I have called elsewhere the Calvinist paradox of
distrust and hope.<14>

Much, or even most, of what was said at the Constitutional Convention
was couched in terms of distrust - distrust of the legislature, of
the Executive, of the people, of power in general, of religion, of the
states, of the large states, and of the small states.<15> It was a
feast of distrust. Frankly, one can point to precious little in the
intervening centuries that would prove their assumptions wrong.

Given that they trusted nobody and no particular social institution but
still believed that they might craft a government geared toward
liberty, the Framers' debates focused on finding the appropriate
balance of power.<17> The Framers believed that a balance of power was
effected by pitting one social entity against another and by assigning
different jobs to different branches. Their theory was that you could
not trust either one alone but you might be able to trust both if they
were working toward the common good in different and potentially
conflicting ways.<19>

The Framers had come to fear the "excesses of democracy"<20> The
two branches might then check each other and thus render the balance
necessary to forestall tyranny.

END QUOTE ____________________________

Are our elections officials, in asking for trust or objecting to the
implication that they should not be trusted or are not trusted, really
the defenders of democracy, the "sentinels of democracy"? A real
sentinel will rise to defend at the instant of a possible threat and
summon reinforcements at the moment of a probable threat. In contrast,
some elections officials seem to wish to be left alone with the
*actual* threat and ability to modify an electronic election,
unmolested by any power checking power.

If one is truly defending democracy, one does not wish to be ALONE at a
point of technological election vulnerability (or election
"opportunity") one wants company! And Lots of it!

Think of Paul Revere, if you like, have fun, feast on distrust as did
the Framers, and defend democracy.

Paul R. Lehto
Attorney at Law
lehto...@hotmail.com
www.votersunite.org/info/lehtolawsuit.asp (the lawsuit and study
of voting irregularities that put an exclamation point behind the
political philosophy)

Hoffman

Feb 22, 2006, 12:45:48 PM2/22/06
to GKC...@googlegroups.com, nostolene...@yahoogroups.com, KC 4 Kerry
Good stuff, thanks for sending! Paul Lehto is a true
patriot--tireless in his work for fairness and
democracy.

Add to this false "trust" the fact that election
officials trust salesmen over hard facts. I and many
others have sent facts about Diebold machines'
vulnerabilities to local election officials, yet they
trust Diebold salesmen, who say their machines are
impervious to hacking. They stick their heads in the
sand when informed of the famous Leon County FL hack
and this month's re-vote in Montgomery County OH due
to Diebold machines (same model purchased by the KCEB)
counting more votes than voters. It's surreal the way
they keep repeating the mantra, "Diebold machines are
infallible.... They cannot be manipulated..." when the
facts state otherwise. This is very disturbing.

For those of you who are as concerned about vote
rigging as I am, please download the attached flyer,
copy it (cut and fold, too), and leave stacks at your
church, local coffee shop, library, neighborhood
organization, etc. This is similar to the handout I
brought to the October DFA Meetup but altered to fit
Diebold specifically (since that's what KCMO just
bought, also used in Johnson, Wyandotte, Clay, and
Platte counties). The graphic on the front is from the
True Majority "The computer ate my vote" campaign.

Missourians for Honest Elections KC is working on this
issue (GKCDFA approved a resolution on it in October),
and has purchased ad space on an Admobile--watch for
it in a couple of weeks. We're also working on a
website, to be up soon. There is much to do, including
giving presentations, speaking with elected officials,
and investigating legislative action. If you would
like to get involved, let me or Joe Medley
(medley...@yahoo.com) know.

--- teacher <good...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> to the Google Groups "Greater Kansas City Democracy
> For America" group.

=== message truncated ===

Computer_Ate_My_Vote_flyer.pdf