RSN ... Ukees?

Brudenell

Feb 25, 2007, 6:02:46 PM2/25/07
to GA Alumni Association
Real soon now many, if not all of us, will be joining the community of
uclue. What will we be known as? Here in Canada we already have the a
tiny community known as Ucluelet inhabited by "Ukes" & "Ukees". I
expect that some of them will, real soon now, turn up on uclue.com .
Their sense of humour will be readily identifiable...

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/british-columbia/41253-ukees.html

barneca

Feb 25, 2007, 6:27:48 PM2/25/07
to GA Alumni Association
my own 2 cents is i don't want to be a uke. following the link you
provided, i see one i like better: uclutians (or, perhaps better,
ucluetians). this flows off the tongue so well i don't see any real
competition. my question is, assuming the model is similar to our
dear departed GA, what will we use for the equivalent of GARs and GACs
and GAQs? i guess the term "peanuts" could just be transplanted to
UC, but UCRs? UCQs? nah. i propose that roger hold off opening the
site up for a few more days until this is all worked out.

-cab

Archae0pterYx

Feb 26, 2007, 2:29:11 AM2/26/07
to GA Alumni Association
I agree with cab. It's an unattractive label, both visually and
phonetically, and does not beckon at all. I would think it would be
preferable to let names evolve. Affectionate nicknames don't come
about by decree.

I don't find the sample of humor appealing, either. It's vulgar. Is
this the style we should expect from the new service?

Tryx

saroki...@epa.gov

Feb 26, 2007, 8:03:02 AM2/26/07
to GA Alumni Association
I don't know what nickname will emerge, but I can't help noticing a
certain phonetic similarity between uclue and yokel.

dj

> > >http://forums.canadiancontent.net/british-columbia/41253-ukees.html- Hide quoted text -

Brudenell

Feb 26, 2007, 8:10:05 AM2/26/07
to GA Alumni Association
That word crossed my mind too. I wonder since we are in pre-public
unveiling is it possible for us to put forward other suggested site
names to eiffel? Naturally these suggestions should not be revealled
in a public forum.

rb

eiffel

Feb 27, 2007, 10:06:41 AM2/27/07
to GA Alumni Association
Brudenell wrote:
> I wonder since we are in pre-public
> unveiling is it possible for us to put forward other suggested site
> names to eiffel? Naturally these suggestions should not be revealled
> in a public forum.

Do you mean the domain name for the new service? Uclue.com is not
everyone's favourite, that's for sure. But it's one that most people
can at least live with as their second favourite.

At one of the Researcher forums we debated dozens of names at length,
but couldn't find a more universally-acceptable name. We eventually
selected uclue.com by a vote.

It would be a bit awkward to change this late in the process, what
with a company registered, bank account applied for, etc. But, if the
ideal name emerges, we would be prepared to make the change.

So feel free to suggest away. It's probably better if people suggest
names here at GA Alumni so that they can be discussed. The only
downside is that a speculator might register the name - but we can
allay that risk by declaring in advance that we won't be purchasing
any domain name held by a squatter.

Regards,
Roger

Probonopublico

Feb 27, 2007, 10:54:10 AM2/27/07
to GA Alumni Association
What about 'askjollyroger.com'?

With an eye catching logo: a Skull and Crossbones!

Questioners would be known as Askers; Commenters as Jollies; and
Researchers as Rogers.

It's memorable and sexy AND the entire suite of Domain Names is
currently available, but HURRY! - Not for much longer.

Askers could rate answers by awarding Gold Dubloons and, for a really
great answer, they could hoist the Skull and Crossbones to the sound
of the roar of cannons.

For their AJR names, Researchers would be asked to take names of well-
known Pirates like: Bluebeard ... and here's a huge list to choose
from:

http://www.kipar.org/piratical-resources/pirate-fame.html

Already, I can here everyone muttering ...

'Why oh why did we not AskBry?'

Billy the Kid

(Also known as William Kidd)

Brudenell

Feb 27, 2007, 11:21:24 AM2/27/07
to GA Alumni Association
and we could all have quite a day on September 19th!

http://www.yarr.org.uk/

On Feb 27, 11:54 am, "Probonopublico" <bryanclough...@googlemail.com>

Mark VMD

Feb 28, 2007, 3:08:12 AM2/28/07
to GA Alumni Association
I think "ucluetians" has a nice "Euclidean" sound to it.

Cluers?
ClueMe's, or vice-versa?
Clue-ish? They practice Cluedaism and keep Cluesher.
Cluevoyant?
The Eggmen (Clue clue katchoo)?
You will inhabit the Clueniverse, of course.
Ignored questions will get flushed to the cluaca maxima.

[ducking a hurled tomato]