New Survey Reveals the Devastating Impact of Chronic Pain on the ...

News Desk

Jun 15, 2006, 1:42:03 PM6/15/06
to FMS Global News
PR Newswire (press release), NY - 12 hours ago
... The most common sources of chronic pain are low back problems,
arthritis, cancer, repetitive stress injuries, shingles, headaches and
fibromyalgia. ...

New Survey Reveals the Devastating Impact of Chronic Pain on the Lives
of Patients
Patients Expressed Strong Desire for New Options to Help Manage Their
Pain

BALTIMORE, June 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Chronic pain takes a devastating
toll on the lives of those who suffer, according to new findings
released today by the American Pain Foundation. Results from the Voices
of Chronic Pain patient survey reveal that more than half (51%) of
chronic pain patients currently using an opioid analgesic agent felt
they had little or no control over their pain. This survey is the first
of its kind to evaluate the attitudes and impact chronic pain has on
patients who have sought care from their physician and are currently
using an opioid to treat their pain.

"These results are extremely concerning and paint a stark picture of
how significant a public health issue chronic pain has become," said
Will Rowe, Executive Director of the American Pain Foundation.
"Although medical solutions exist to relieve or ease pain, the reality
is that most pain goes untreated, undertreated or improperly treated,
with millions of patients suffering in silence."

Alarmingly, six of ten patients (60%) surveyed said they experience
breakthrough pain one or more times daily, severely impacting their
quality of life and overall well-being. Chronic pain affects
approximately 50 million Americans, and untreated pain can impair a
person's ability to carry out daily activities, such as relationships,
hobbies and work, and can greatly diminish his or her quality of life.

Survey Shows Chronic Pain Greatly Impacts Quality of Life and Overall
Well-Being

The Voices of Chronic Pain survey found that as a result of pain, more
than three quarters of patients (77%) reported feeling depressed, 70%
said they have trouble concentrating, and more than half (52%) said
their chronic pain has put a strain on relationships with family and
friends. Chronic pain is a major cause of absenteeism and unemployment.
In fact, pain results in more than 50 million lost workdays each year
and costs the United States an estimated $100 billion in lost
productivity and healthcare expenses. According to the survey, nearly
70% of people said their pain has a great deal of impact on their work
and half (50%) have lost a job due to their chronic pain.

"People don't seem to understand how debilitating it can be to live
with chronic pain. It affects everything I do -- from not sleeping
through the night to not being able to work anymore," said Andrea
Cooper, who has been living with chronic pain for 30 years. "I may look
okay on the outside but I'm screaming on the inside. It's brought so
much compromise into my life -- my relationship with my husband, with
my kids. It prevents me from doing some of the things I love the most,
link singing and playing the guitar and creating artwork."

Survey Reveals Need for New Options to Treat Chronic Pain

The Voices of Chronic Pain Survey also found more than three-quarters
(77%) of patients surveyed said they are looking for new options to
treat their pain. Only 14% of those surveyed reported that they were
satisfied with their current medications and less than half (48%) of
respondents felt they were currently getting enough information on the
most effective ways to manage chronic pain. While safe and effective
medical treatments for many types of pain are available, only an
estimated one in four people suffering receives proper treatment.

"I recommend that my chronic pain patients use an opioid to manage
their pain. However, patients can respond differently or develop
tolerance to a particular treatment, so a new opioid often needs to be
prescribed to give patients the pain relief they are seeking," said
Scott Fishman, M.D., Chief of the Division of Pain Medicine and
Professor of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of
California, Davis. "It is crucial that physicians and patients have
several treatment options available to find the right strategy to
ensure long-term optimal pain relief."

About Chronic Pain

Chronic pain is pain that continues a month or more beyond the usual
recovery period for an injury or illness, or pain that continues for
months or years due to a chronic condition. The most common sources of
chronic pain are low back problems, arthritis, cancer, repetitive
stress injuries, shingles, headaches and fibromyalgia. Other causes
include diabetic neuropathy, phantom limb sensation and other
neurological conditions. Chronic pain can exist for no apparent cause.
Opioid analgesics are a commonly prescribed treatment option that
provides proven pain relief for patients who suffer from mild-to-severe
chronic pain.

The American Pain Foundation encourages chronic pain patients to talk
to their doctor about ways to effectively control their pain to help
take back control of their life. For more information about Voices of
Chronic Pain survey and chronic pain, log onto
http://www.painfoundation.org/.

Survey Methodology

Voices of Chronic Pain was conducted on the Internet using an online
panel of Americans who were screened for having chronic pain and using
opioids for the treatment and control of that pain. A total of 303
chronic pain sufferers who take opioids were included in the final
sample. Voices of Chronic Pain was administered between May 9 and May
13, 2006. The survey was based on survey panels from Common Knowledge.
International Communications Research (ICR) of Media, PA administered
the data collection. ICR also conducted the data processing and
preparation of statistical tables.

About American Pain Foundation

The American Pain Foundation (APF) is a 501 (c) (3), non-profit
organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people
affected by pain. APF accomplishes its mission through numerous efforts
providing education and support, advocacy, and promotion of pain
research.

The Voices of Chronic Pain survey was funded by Endo Pharmaceuticals.

Website: http://www.painfoundation.org/

http://sev.prnewswire.com/medical-pharmaceuticals/20060614/NYW10414062006-1.html