Patrick Jarvis plays an African drum that he made, a hobby that ...

News Desk

Jun 15, 2006, 2:56:00 PM6/15/06
to FMS Global News
ChronicleHerald.ca, Canada -... to Nova Scotia," she said. James
Goucher has fibromyalgia, a condition that causes pain throughout his
body. He said that when he ...

Catching the art beat
Digby Disabilities Partnership Committee's clients gain focus, calm
through creativity
By INGRID DEON

DIGBY - Patrick Jarvis started making African drums more than a year
ago. He had just gotten control of his alcohol addiction and needed
something to keep himself occupied.

"I went to a drum circle with a friend of mine and fell in love with
drums," he said.

He couldn't afford to buy a djembe drum, so he taught himself how to
make one out of wood and natural hides.

Now he has a large collection of African drums of every shape and size,
and continues to make them to keep his mind off alcohol and the
osteoarthritis in his spine.

Jarvis is one of 16 physically and emotionally disabled artists in the
Digby area who recently took part in an art exhibit at the Digby
Disabilities Partnership Committee, a non-profit organization that
helps people with disabilities find employment.

Sara Payson, community development co-ordinator, said she has noticed
how art has helped many of the organization's clients.

"It gives them a focus, so it really calms and soothes, and it's
something they enjoy," she said.

Payson said there are stigmas attached to people with disabilities.
She's hoping that by encouraging clients to create works of art,
other people will realize that people with disabilities can be
creative.

"These people have great skills, great talents, and it should be
exposed to Nova Scotia," she said.

James Goucher has fibromyalgia, a condition that causes pain throughout
his body. He said that when he was younger, he used to drink a lot, so
he needed something to change the path he was taking.

"My disability is something I can't get away from, but photography is
one thing that helps me get along from day to day," he said.

Today, he's an award-winning photographer with 23 years'
experience.

Goucher said photography has changed his life and he's thankful to
have a hobby that keeps him focused.

"Creativity is what keeps my mind active because when you have a
disability, your mind wanders a lot," he said.

( id...@herald.ca)

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Entertainment/510406.html