Pool fitness a watered-down workout? Anything but

News Desk

Jun 13, 2006, 5:33:52 PM6/13/06
to FMS Global News
Pool fitness a watered-down workout? Anything but

AZ Central.com, AZ - 2 hours ago
... Grodzki says the aquatic fitness instructors at the Y are trained
to modify classes for people with multiple sclerosis, arthritis,
fibromyalgia or other ...

Keep jogging, hiking muscles toned during hot months

Mary Beth Faller
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 13, 2006 12:00 AM

Many fitness buffs think that splashing around in the pool suits only
those at opposite ends of the age spectrum - swimming lessons for kids
and gentle workouts for the over-50 set.

That theory doesn't hold water with Mindy Grodzki, the aquatics
director at the Tempe YMCA. She used to teach water fitness classes at
the University of Arizona.

"The water polo coach sent his team over. He thought my class would be
good cross-training for them," she says. "Half of the team ended up
leaving halfway through the class because they were too tired.

"It's a serious workout."

Now that it's hot outside, the usual outdoor fitness routines of
walking, hiking or jogging are less pleasant. Moving the workout to
water doesn't require learning a whole new set of skills - you can
still "walk" or "jog" in the water.

"Not only are you using the same muscles as on land but you're getting
seven times as much resistance in the water," Grodzki says. "And it's
friendlier on your joints.

"I've had people that are in shape from land workouts start doing water
workouts and tell me, 'I've never had this part of my body this toned
before.' "

Water walking or jogging is usually done wearing a flotation belt and,
possibly, water shoes. It uses the same motions in the water as on
land.

Water aerobics classes, held at every YMCA in the Valley as well as at
most community pools, are usually divided into two kinds. Shallow-water
aerobics are done in water that's between waist- and chest-deep, is
somewhat gentler than deep-water aerobics, and may not use equipment.
Deep-water aerobics uses flotation belts and, often, other equipment,
such as foam "noodles," resistance weights or gloves.

Aquatic gloves, webbed to provide resistance in the water, are
especially good at toning the arms, Grodzki says.

"Gloves are a great way to increase the intensity of every move that
you're doing," she says. "I've seen people get their arms very nicely
toned within weeks."

Because working out in the water is so easy on the joints, it's ideal
for people who are nursing an injury or have a medical condition.
Grodzki says the aquatic fitness instructors at the Y are trained to
modify classes for people with multiple sclerosis, arthritis,
fibromyalgia or other conditions. Some classes are designed
specifically for people with medical issues.

And although all you really need is a bathing suit, a few pieces of
equipment can help.

"A lot of people think you can just jump in the water and swim, but for
a little bit of money, you can make your workout so much better," says
Eli Webb, manager of the Aquatic Fitness Swim and Snorkel store in
Scottsdale.

http://www.azcentral.com/health/news/articles/0613poolfit0613.html