'Angels' Take Care of Those in Need

1 view

News Desk

Jun 18, 2006, 12:03:13 PM6/18/06
to FMS Global News
Gilroy Dispatch (subscription), CA -... But about six years ago she
developed a condition known a fibromyalgia - a disease with no known
cause - and devastating symptoms. "It feels like arthritis. ...

'Angels' Take Care of Those in Need

Saturday, June 17, 2006
By Kristen Munson

Gilroy - The doorbell rings at Gloria Harris' Morgan Hill apartment and
you can tell that moving is the last thing she wants to do. Just
lifting her legs off the couch appears laborious for the petite
50-something. She shuffles to the door in obvious pain, walking stiffly
and slowly, and wearing a smile for the person on the other side.

It's a neighbor looking to borrow some eggs for baking. She hands him
the entire carton before closing the door and heading back to the
living room, walking passed a sign reading: God Bless Our Home and
Peace to All Who Visit.

For nearly three decades Harris worked as a registered nurse, caring
for emergency room patients and standing watch at their bedsides. But
about six years ago she developed a condition known a fibromyalgia - a
disease with no known cause - and devastating symptoms.

"It feels like arthritis. But it's not just in your joints - It's
everywhere," she said. "It's burning. I feel like I'm on fire. It
always interferes with my sleep."

The disease is considered a form of arthritis and the pain varies in
patients, ranging from a deep muscle ache to sharp pangs. Chronic
fatigue is often associated with the disease.

"What I do is I don't think about it," Harris said. "I don't like to
dwell on it. I'm just trying to keep up my sense of humor. There's a
lot of sick people more worse off than I am. That really sets me in my
place when I think about my former patients."

Prior to fibromyalgia, she was an avid hiker and skier. It didn't hurt
to walk. It didn't hurt to sit. She was forced to leave work - and
caring for her disabled son became a source of worry. Keeping up with
the housekeeping was nearly impossible and getting out of the house for
errands was even harder. The disease was breaking her down mentally as
well as physically.

"I prayed, 'God give me an angel,'" Harris said. "Then I got a call and
they told me I was getting Visiting Angels."

For the past month a caregiver from the new Gilroy franchise of
Visiting Angels comes to her apartment performing light housekeeping
and visiting with her a few days a week.

"She's a doll," Harris said of her caregiver. "She helps me do my
laundry. She visits with me. I feel like she's my friend. Thank God for
(Visiting Angels). Now I have time to spend with my son. Single
parenting is difficult for anybody even if you're healthy."

Visiting Angels is a nationwide assisted living service for seniors and
disabled individuals. The Gilroy franchise opened in April under
Executive Director Dorie Sugay and will service individuals across
South County, South San Jose, Hollister, Aromas, San Juan Bautista and
Salinas.

In the past, Sugay owned a successful consulting firm for high tech and
medical firms and worked in real estate as a mortgage broker. The
recent switch to owning and operating a Visiting Angels franchise was a
long time in the making.

"It was one of those situations where my heart was somewhere else,"
Sugay explained. "I wanted to work with the elderly."

She wanted to get an advanced degree to counsel elderly patients, but
felt it was an unrealistic goal. Upon visiting some convalescent homes
she saw patients staring at the walls with no one to comfort them or
talk to them.

"It broke my heart." she said. "I would just die to think of my own
mother in that position."

Sugay started looking into different ways to get involved and came
across Visiting Angels.

"The more I started looking into Visiting Angels the more I thought
'This is for me,' " she said. "It fills a void for me."

Caregivers help clients with basic chores, personal hygiene, meal
preparation, shopping and companionship.

"Our role is to make sure the client can feel as independent as
possible." she explained. "You don't want to take away their dignity."

When her own father got sick she found herself following him around and
trying to help him with everything - even when he didn't need it. He
told her to take a step back, teaching her to focus on the independence
and dignity of patients in the future.

"I'm into the total health of a person," Sugay said. "We actually look
at ourselves as an extension of the family. I tell them we're the eyes
and the ears of the family."

For more information about Visiting Angels contact Sugay at
408-846-2988 or at do...@visitingangels.com

Kristen Munson
Kristen Munson covers crime and courts for The Dispatch . Reach her at
(408) 847-7158 or at kmu...@gilroydispatch.com.

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/contentview.asp?c=188262