LOVE AND PRIDE

1 view

Support Desk

Jun 14, 2006, 2:53:06 PM6/14/06
to FMS Global News
South Tyneside Today, UK - Jun 10, 2006
... He struck gold twice in the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne,
Australia. ... 13 GCSEs this year, despite suffering from the
debilitating condition fibromyalgia. ...

ONCE again the Pride of South Tyneside Awards have proved a huge hit
with the community.
After months of build-up, scores of nominations and tough judging
process, our stars of 2006 were honoured last night.
The awards are organised annually by the Gazette, South Tyneside
Council and the Customs House. There were nine categories this year,
plus a Judges' Special Award, which went to South Tyneside swimmer
Chris Cook.
He struck gold twice in the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, Australia.
He was unable to attend the ceremony as he is competing in Monaco, but
in a recorded message, he said: "I would like to say thank you very
much for the award.
"I'm a South Shields lad and I'm very proud to be from the area. I hope
this is a glowing example of what can be done."
South Tyneside's super-dog Yogi also received a special award from the
judges.
The Labrador is trained to help his owner, Daniel George, 13, of Mons
Avenue, Hebburn, with tasks he can't do himself.
The teenager suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a muscle-wasting
disease that has left him in a wheelchair.
Daniel was one of our Child of Courage recipients, who brought the
first half of the evening to a moving end.
He was joined on stage by Amarni Gibson, three, and Ellie Luther, five,
both of South Shields.
Mum Mary said: "When I read the shortlist in the Gazette I thought all
three deserved the award, so I'm really pleased they all got one.
"The award for Yogi was a surprise bonus! Daniel is over the moon."
Ellie suffers from a rare and potentially life-threatening skin
condition called Harlequin ichthyosis.
Dad Will, of The High Road, said: "I think the award is a really good
thing. It gives us the chance to get the condition out there for
everyone."
Armani has a rare genetic condition known as Williams syndrome, which
causes medical and developmental problems.
Mum Gillian, of Walworth Avenue, said: "They are all winners."
Good Neighbour was a new category for 2006 and the winners were Bob and
Alice Simpson, of Warwick Road, South Shields.
Mr Simpson, 73, said: "It was a complete shock. "
Danny Rowe, 14, of Rembrandt Avenue, South Shields, danced away with
the Young Performer of the Year award.
Judith Wolfe, special educational needs co-ordinator at St Wilfrid's RC
College in South Shields, was overwhelmed to win Teacher of the Year.
Young Achiever was won by Justine Tovey, 15, of Shipton Close, Boldon
Colliery, who is sitting 13 GCSEs this year, despite suffering from the
debilitating condition fibromyalgia.
Horsley Hill Residents' Association won Community Group of the Year for
helping to breathe new life into the run-down South Shields estate.
Sonny Hobson won Role Model of the Year. He has been involved in
grassroots football in South Tyneside for more than 30 years and
instils discipline and respect in his young players. Mr Hobson, 70, of
Kingsway, South Shields, said: "It's the proudest moment of my life."
Mckenna Shepherd-Ford, who has won five medals in different sports over
the last year, netted Sporting Excellence.
The 10-year-old, of Marine Approach, South Shields, has excelled in
football, rugby, basketball, hockey and netball.
Teacher Brian McVittie, said: "She plays with a smile, which is what
sport is all about. She thoroughly deserves the award."
Betty Campbell, who helps substance misusers after heroin claimed the
life of her son, won Volunteer of the Year.
The 61-year-old, from South Shields but lives in Murton, County Durham,
is a volunteer at Barnardo's Streetlevel in South Shields.

By ANGELA TAGGART
angela....@northeast-press.co.uk

http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1111&ArticleID=1555452