ME1 hangs :-(

Noel

Apr 5, 2009, 1:05:19 PM4/5/09
to Emprex ME1 - HD Multimedia Enclosure
Hi

I posted a message about a problem in the main Emprex blog (
http://emprex-me1.blogspot.com/2007/08/me1-support.html?showComment=1238681640000#c5896739583568635808
) I since discovered the existence of this group and thought I'd try
here too, it would be really great to get some advice/thoughts. In
summary, right now I have a ME1-V2 with 1000GB ( WD10EACS ) drive,
currently the unit is loaded with the lastest firmware from the emprex
site. The info in the post on the emprex blog site referred to the
firmware shipped with the unit ( sorry didn't take note of the
version ), I since upgraded the firmware, after the upgrade the
symptoms I see are a little different from what I wrote but similar
enough, basically ;
a) using pause/live tv ( e.g. pressing pause then play ) works for
anywhere from 2 - 10 minutes then freezes the unit. Disconnecting the
power seems to be the only solution
b) I set up a scheduled record put the unit in standby, next morning
the unit is hung again ( it did record though ) a second scheduled
record attempt only recorded a portion of desired recording time and
again was hung :-( ( I did read somewhere that stray ir from other
remote controls could cause problems, not the case here )

On the other hand playing/manual recording seems ok ( but I only ever
did short manual recordings )

I did try another disk ( an old but in use 40GB ide ) and after
installing that I see the same problem with live/pause. That at least
seems to rule out the disk and/or the ide/sata bridge board ( maybe
the disk controller is knackered ) I didn't try that disk with
scheduled record as I reinstalled the sata one again

I wonder has anybody with the same/similar configurations got the same
problems? or if anyone has any ideas. Looks like a fault unit to me.

Thanks
Noel

maciek

Apr 12, 2009, 6:05:24 PM4/12/09
to Emprex ME1 - HD Multimedia Enclosure
hello, mate!

i have exactly the same problem. mine is even more serious, as the
device freezes while recording.
it has never recorded more than 40 minutes. i have tried out several
firmwares, but it did not change anything.

On Apr 5, 6:05 pm, Noel <Noel.Po...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I posted a message about a problem in the main Emprex blog (http://emprex-me1.blogspot.com/2007/08/me1-support.html?showComment=1...

stephen sames

Apr 12, 2009, 6:11:24 PM4/12/09
to Empre...@googlegroups.com
me too!

I am nematode, here:

http://groups.google.com/group/Emprex-ME1/browse_thread/thread/626d0306c96631f6

My harddrive was not mounting and I was getting recording problems. These must have been different issues as the hard drive is mounting now (changed HDD) but the recording problem is still there.  maciek, did you get your ME1 recently?

maciek

Apr 12, 2009, 8:10:21 PM4/12/09
to Emprex ME1 - HD Multimedia Enclosure
yes, i bought it recently on ebay. it was new and without a HDD.

i cannot help myself but in the current condition the device is
useless.

people wrote on other forums that it is the harddisk. i have a 500
gb , 16 mb cache. I will try an older IDE disk soon.
people wrote, that recording to an external usb drive is possible.
in this case i could simply use two harddisks and connect the big one
with this by usb:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-USB-2-0-SATA-IDE-HDD-EXTERNAL-HARD-DRIVE-CASE-UK_W0QQitemZ260320213027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL?hash=item260320213027&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

record to it.

On Apr 12, 11:11 pm, stephen sames <ssa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> me too!
>
> I am nematode, here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/Emprex-ME1/browse_thread/thread/626d03...
>
> My harddrive was not mounting and I was getting recording problems. These
> must have been different issues as the hard drive is mounting now (changed
> HDD) but the recording problem is still there.  maciek, did you get your ME1
> recently?
>
> > > Noel- Hide quoted text -

maciek

Apr 18, 2009, 3:02:04 PM4/18/09
to Emprex ME1 - HD Multimedia Enclosure

It works!

I bought an USB enclosure

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-USB-2-0-SATA-IDE-HDD-EXTERNAL-HARD-DRIVE-CASE-UK_W0QQitemZ260320213027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL?hash=item260320213027&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I simply removed the HDD from emprex and put it in the enclosure.

Emprex runs without a HDD, so I just connect the enclosure with USB
and tell Emprex to record to USB - you need the latest firmware for
this.

I formatted the HDD to fat32 at my PC. To have more than 32 gb in a
fat32 partition you cannot use XP to format it - you download a simple
utility from internet.

Now my Emprex records for hours without crashing :).