Create custom task pane in outlook 2003

Dhananjay

Apr 14, 2008, 9:34:53 AM4/14/08
to DotNetDevelopment, VB.NET, C# .NET, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, XML, XML Web Services,.NET Remoting
Hi All,
I am developing one COM addin using VSTO SE / VB 2005 / Office 2003. I
want to create a custom task pane for office 2003. I created custom
task pane in office 2007. I saw the link "http://msdn2.microsoft.com/
en-us/library/aa537188.aspx" which shows that, we can create a action
pane for word 2003. I downloaded the project from that site, but I can
not open that project.
I think the problem occures because I don't have VSTO (I am using VSTO
SE and not VSTO) installed on my machine. So where can I download
VSTO? Also if I install VSTO, will it be compatible with VSTO SE (I
mean can both versions be install on same machine)? Further by reading
the link, I saw that we can use ActionsPane class directly for
creating task pane. But when I use ActionsPane.Control.Add in my code,
I got error "Access of nonshared methods requires an object", but I
can;t create the object of ActionsPane class.
So ultimately anyone could point me to how can I create task pane in
outlook 2003 using VSTO SE / VB 2005?

Thanks in advance

Andrew Badera

Apr 14, 2008, 12:41:56 PM4/14/08
to DotNetDe...@googlegroups.com
What?

What do you mean, "can not open that project" ? Are you getting specific errors?

Having or not having VSTO wouldn't affect your ability to open a project. Now, if the project is from another version of Visual Studio, sure, you might have difficulties.

Be more explicit. Post any error messages.

And if you need to find the older VSTO USE GOOGLE. But VSTO SE should cover Office 2003 and .NET 2.0 (which is what I assume you mean by "VB 2005").

I mean really, is it that tough?
--
--Andy Badera
http://andrew.badera.us/ http://flipbitsnotburgers.blogspot.com/

Dhananjay

Apr 15, 2008, 2:20:17 AM4/15/08
to DotNetDevelopment, VB.NET, C# .NET, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, XML, XML Web Services,.NET Remoting
Thanks Andrew for your response,
This is the error that I got when I open that specific project -
"One or more projects in the solution could not be loaded for the
following reason(s)
The application for the project is not installed.
These projects will be labeled as unavailable in Solution Explorer.
Expand the project node to show the reason the project could not be
loaded."

Also, project is developed using VB 2005 (It is prerequisite on the
link.) Further document is revised on Nov 2005.
Also I remember one thing that when I was opening the project
developed using VSTO SE on my fresh machine (having VS 2005 / Office
2003 / NO VSTO SE installed), I was having the same errors. Again, I
searched for VSTO on google, but every time I got VSTO SE reference.
And yes, VSTO SE should cover office 2003 and .NET 2.0, that was I
assuming!

Any way, my original question is -----------> "So ultimately anyone
could point me to how can I create task pane in outlook 2003 using
VSTO SE / VB 2005?"

Just now my friend got the answer from Sue (OutlookCode.Com) that
"Outlook 2003 does not natively support custom task panes. You may
want to take a look at the Add-in Express developer library that
frequently advertises at the top of the pages on this site, because it
does offer a task pane solution.
"
So it is not that much easy.... right. Yaa we can do that (if it is
done by Add-in Express developer library), but my boss requires fast
solutions :-( , so here we don;t have that much time to investigate.