Question to translators: Translating zip code

Dmitri Fedortchenko

Oct 31, 2007, 1:42:10 PM10/31/07
to Django I18N
Hi everyone.

There is some debate on the Swedish translation "team" about how to
translate the word and concept of the "zip code" and "post code".

One group feels that "zip code" should be directly translated into the
Swedish equivalent of the words "zip" and "code", i.e. "zipkod" or in
some cases "postkod".

The other group feels that the word (postnummer) that is in Swedish
used to describe the concept of "zip code" should be used since there
really is nothing unique about the Swedish postal system.

So I am curious about how translators to other languages handle this?
Do you use your language's own definition or do you "localize" the
english word?

//D

Jannis Leidel

Oct 31, 2007, 2:52:04 PM10/31/07
to Django I18N
Hi Dmitri,

> So I am curious about how translators to other languages handle this?
> Do you use your language's own definition or do you "localize" the
> english word?

Being one of the translators of the German locale and the original
author of the according localflavor I used the official German
definition "Postleitzahl" (~ postal routing number) which is here also
widely abbreviated with "PLZ".

Hope that helps,
Best,

Jannis

Nicola Larosa

Oct 31, 2007, 3:08:56 PM10/31/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Dmitri Fedortchenko wrote:
> There is some debate on the Swedish translation "team" about how to
> translate the word and concept of the "zip code" and "post code".

> So I am curious about how translators to other languages handle this?
> Do you use your language's own definition or do you "localize" the
> english word?

There's no ambiguity in Italian: you always say "codice postale", that is,
postal code, and that's it.

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

The great raw nerve that any IT consulting organization always
strives to protect is lack of recognition and reward ($) for all
the work that bubbles up after the initial scope and budget are
supposedly set in stone. -- David Christiansen, June 2007

Radek Svarz

Nov 1, 2007, 9:01:30 AM11/1/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com

Czech has similar approach to German with abbreviated as PSČ.

Radek