Spanish translation files

Malcolm Tredinnick

Feb 26, 2007, 3:57:16 AM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Since I was committing a bunch of other tickets tonight, I decided to
resolve the fact that we had two Spanish translations by committing the
one from ticket #3565, since it was done more recently.

However, Mario Gonzalez: you said you were going to check and update the
Spanish translation in any case, so it would be great if you had time to
read over what's in there. The more proof-readers, the better. Apologies
for not committing your earlier contribution in a timely fashion; that
was a bit on our part. Hopefully we will do better in the future.

Regards,
Malcolm

Marc Fargas Esteve

Feb 26, 2007, 4:47:31 AM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Malcolm,
Maybe translators could get commit access to their locale/ subdir? That could speed up this things and it's not likely that you can break much things from a .po file, and it's much easier to to play around with svn diff, svn up, svn ci and so on that the current process: Take english, check it, make sure nobody else has opened a ticket with the changes you are going to make, open a ticket, attach the patch, pray for it to not get duplicated! ;)

Only a thought, but it's and easy task that could be in hands of every "language mantainer" :))

Cheers,
Marc

Malcolm Tredinnick

Feb 26, 2007, 5:04:28 AM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 10:47 +0100, Marc Fargas Esteve wrote:
> Hi Malcolm,
> Maybe translators could get commit access to their locale/ subdir?
> That could speed up this things and it's not likely that you can break
> much things from a .po file, and it's much easier to to play around
> with svn diff, svn up, svn ci and so on that the current process: Take
> english, check it, make sure nobody else has opened a ticket with the
> changes you are going to make, open a ticket, attach the patch, pray
> for it to not get duplicated! ;)
>
> Only a thought, but it's and easy task that could be in hands of every
> "language mantainer" :))

That would be the ideal situation and it's what tends to happen on other
projects. Then we could have designated locale maintainers, too. I'm not
sure that the authorisation setup in place for our subversion repository
permits this sort of fine-grained access, though. I'll ask Jacob and
Adrian about it.

Regards,
Malcolm

Mario

Feb 26, 2007, 8:11:14 AM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On 26/02/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <mal...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:

> Since I was committing a bunch of other tickets tonight, I decided to
> resolve the fact that we had two Spanish translations by committing the
> one from ticket #3565, since it was done more recently.
>
> However, Mario Gonzalez: you said you were going to check and update the
> Spanish translation in any case, so it would be great if you had time to

After a svn update I started to read the file and see what can I
translate, I saw that AgarFu, the last translator, did a very good
job.

The only string I didn't translate was "Latvian" cause, I'm not
quite sure, but the latvian is a dialect from the baltic languages, so
I think the translation should be as the same as in English.

I changed e...@li.org by the django translator team
"Language-Team: Castellano <Djang...@googlegroups.com>\n"

I'm agree with the fuzzies translations made by AgarFu, I didn't
change them cause I prefer someone with more experience than me check
those before.

http://media.forestal.udec.cl/pub/django/django.po

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/mgonzalez/

Marc Fargas Esteve

Feb 26, 2007, 8:13:45 AM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the intereset on going forward this way, If you need any volunteers I can mantain Spanish and Catalan which are my native languages (the current Catalan locale is mine!)

Hope adrian and jacob find some way to go with that. I think there's already this fine grained setup by reading the committing information on djangoproject.com where it's said that some people have access to the whole repo while other only have access to their knowledge areas. So maybe we can get this!

Cheers,
Marc.

Ramiro Morales

Feb 26, 2007, 9:11:10 AM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

On 2/26/07, Marc Fargas Esteve <tele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the intereset on going forward this way, If you need any
> volunteers I can mantain Spanish and Catalan which are my native languages
> (the current Catalan locale is mine!)

I can't this miss this opportunity to send this message.

I've been maintaining the Argentinean spanish translation since ten months
ago and I'm happy to see the spanish one is getting some love now 0.96
and 1.0 are near.

But ...what about not limiting ourselves to just translating Django?, what
about translating the documentation, creating [1]localflavour packages
for our countries?, ...

This is something I've already written about before, see the [2]message I sent a
couple of weeks ago to django-users.

After that e-mail one member of the [3]django-es mailing list/Google group
contacted me to let me know about it's existence. It had almost no visibility
and so far has very low traffic but we intend to change that (there are
plans to revive an idea that didn't pass the initial planning stage: A
community website using the django.es domain some of the members
had registered at that time).

So, I want to invite you to join in and help us to shape this
community, after all
that's the idea behind all this, isn't it?.

Regards,

PS: What about the change in the wording from "spanish" to "castellano"
in the last commited es/*.po files? Do you all agree it is right?

1. http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/add_ons/#localflavor
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/contrib/localflavor
2. http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_frm/thread/634fd3836307f98d/6cd44d8fa95b686f?#6cd44d8fa95b686f
3. http://groups.google.com/group/django-es/topics

--
Ramiro Morales

Mario

Feb 26, 2007, 9:29:36 AM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On 26/02/07, Ramiro Morales <cra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS: What about the change in the wording from "spanish" to "castellano"
> in the last commited es/*.po files? Do you all agree it is right?

both are accepted, personally I prefer the word "Castellano".
"Spanish" sounds like the country "Spain".

Also, the Spanish is spoken in Spain only, cause in Latinamerica we
speak a dialect of the Spanish language. However we understand both
languages, "Castellano" or "Spanish" ;-)

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/mgonzalez/

Marc Fargas Esteve

Feb 26, 2007, 4:09:47 PM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Just looked at the recently commited es/django.po there's one **big** issue:

210 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:362
211 msgid "DATE_FORMAT"
212 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_FECHA"
213

214 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:363
215 msgid "DATETIME_FORMAT"
216 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_FECHA_Y_HORA"
217

218 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:364
219 msgid "TIME_FORMAT"
220 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_HORA"
221

222 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:380
223 msgid "YEAR_MONTH_FORMAT"
224 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_AÑO_Y_MES"
225

226 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:381
227 msgid "MONTH_DAY_FORMAT"
228 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_MES_Y_DÍA"

This is wrong! didn't you read the translation information? :wink: You
can take the Catalan as example:

429 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:362
430 msgid "DATE_FORMAT"
431 msgstr "F j, Y"
432
433 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:363
434 msgid "DATETIME_FORMAT"
435 msgstr "F j, Y, H:i"
436
437 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:364
438 msgid "TIME_FORMAT"
439 msgstr "H:i"
440
441 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:380
442 #, fuzzy
443 msgid "YEAR_MONTH_FORMAT"
444 msgstr "F j, Y"
445
446 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:381
447 #, fuzzy
448 msgid "MONTH_DAY_FORMAT"
449 msgstr "F j, Y"

Please, commit a corrected version ASAP as Spanish users from SVN will
get wrong dates ;(

Cheers,
Marc.

Jorge Gajon

Feb 26, 2007, 6:36:55 PM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On 2/26/07, Marc Fargas Esteve <tele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Just looked at the recently commited es/django.po there's one **big** issue:
>
> 210 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:362
> 211 msgid "DATE_FORMAT"
> 212 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_FECHA"
> 213
>
> 214 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:363
> 215 msgid "DATETIME_FORMAT"
> 216 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_FECHA_Y_HORA"
> 217
>
> 218 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:364
> 219 msgid "TIME_FORMAT"
> 220 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_HORA"
> 221
>
> 222 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:380
> 223 msgid "YEAR_MONTH_FORMAT"
> 224 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_A�O_Y_MES"

> 225
>
> 226 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:381
> 227 msgid "MONTH_DAY_FORMAT"
> 228 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_MES_Y_D�A"

I will file a new ticket in a few minutes with these and other small updates..

Malcolm Tredinnick

Feb 26, 2007, 6:55:56 PM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 22:09 +0100, Marc Fargas Esteve wrote:
> Hi,
> Just looked at the recently commited es/django.po there's one **big** issue:
>
> 210 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:362
> 211 msgid "DATE_FORMAT"
> 212 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_FECHA"
> 213
>
> 214 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:363
> 215 msgid "DATETIME_FORMAT"
> 216 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_FECHA_Y_HORA"
> 217
>
> 218 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:364
> 219 msgid "TIME_FORMAT"
> 220 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_HORA"
> 221
>
> 222 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:380
> 223 msgid "YEAR_MONTH_FORMAT"
> 224 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_A�O_Y_MES"

> 225
>
> 226 #: utils/translation/trans_real.py:381
> 227 msgid "MONTH_DAY_FORMAT"
> 228 msgstr "FORMATO_DE_MES_Y_D�A"

> This is wrong! didn't you read the translation information? :wink:

Oh, my bad, too. I didn't notice this. I do actually have a quick read
through the changes before comitting them to check it's the right locale
and that it's not completely messed up. I'll add this to the sanity
checks. Sorry about that.

Nice catch, Marc.

Regards,
Malcolm

Jorge Gajon

Feb 26, 2007, 7:12:44 PM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On 2/26/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <mal...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:

I have uploaded an updated .po file at ticket
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3590

Thanks for catching it Marc!

Regards,
Jorge

Malcolm Tredinnick

Feb 26, 2007, 7:59:43 PM2/26/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com

OK, so I had an email exchange with Jacob about this and we can set up
svn authorisation so that it will allow particular people to commit to
one particular portion of the directory tree.

This will take a little while to get completely set up (mostly Jacob
wants to set up a couple of things on his end to make it easier for
him), but we should have it in place soon.

I'll come back to this once it's set up.

Regards,
Malcolm

Marc Fargas Esteve

Feb 27, 2007, 3:46:13 AM2/27/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Really good news!

Waitting impatient,
Marc.

Mario

Feb 28, 2007, 6:57:19 AM2/28/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On 27/02/07, Marc Fargas Esteve <tele...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think I found an error in the translation (line 436), YYYY must be AAAA

#: db/models/fields/__init__.py:521 core/validators.py:156
msgid "Enter a valid date/time in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM format."
msgstr "Introduzca una fecha/hora válida en formato YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM."

is there time to do a new commit?

Question: if msgid content is in lowercase, msgstr content must be
in lowercase too? If this so, there are, some mistakes.

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/mgonzalez/

Malcolm Tredinnick

Feb 28, 2007, 7:08:06 AM2/28/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 08:57 -0300, Mario wrote:
> On 27/02/07, Marc Fargas Esteve <tele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> I think I found an error in the translation (line 436), YYYY must be AAAA
>
> #: db/models/fields/__init__.py:521 core/validators.py:156
> msgid "Enter a valid date/time in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM format."
> msgstr "Introduzca una fecha/hora válida en formato YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM."
>
> is there time to do a new commit?

There is always time to do a new commit. :-)

Seriously, 0.96 will come out when it comes out -- like I said, there
isn't really a deadline for it. So I'm trying to get any translation
files committed that are uploaded as patches to Trac within 24 hours or
so of them appearing. If you find a mistake (and it's good that people
are checking carefully at the moment), by all means upload a patch and
we'll get it in.

> Question: if msgid content is in lowercase, msgstr content must be
> in lowercase too? If this so, there are, some mistakes.

Interesting question. I suspect the answer is "yes", the case should
match. However, it's probably best to check the source to see how the
message is being used to work this out for sure. Since the PO file
contains the filename and line number, it should be easy to track down.

Any truly unclear cases -- where you have no idea how the message is
being used -- let me know and I'll try to work it out.

Regards,
Malcolm

Mario

Feb 28, 2007, 7:27:02 AM2/28/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On 28/02/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <mal...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:

> > is there time to do a new commit?
>
> There is always time to do a new commit. :-)

great!

> Seriously, 0.96 will come out when it comes out -- like I said, there

seriosly great :-)

> Interesting question. I suspect the answer is "yes", the case should
> match. However, it's probably best to check the source to see how the

I think that's a mistake. Or somebody wrote that for some reason?

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/mgonzalez/

Mario

Mar 2, 2007, 7:24:21 AM3/2/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On 28/02/07, Mario <gonzal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Interesting question. I suspect the answer is "yes", the case should

I created a diff file, can someone test this? I didn't want to
create a new ticket or attach as a new patch in ticket #3590 until get
some feedback from others hackers.

http://media.forestal.udec.cl/pub/django/django.po.diff

Regards.

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/mgonzalez/

Jorge Gajon

Mar 2, 2007, 6:27:38 PM3/2/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario,

On 3/2/07, Mario <gonzal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I created a diff file, can someone test this? I didn't want to
> create a new ticket or attach as a new patch in ticket #3590 until get
> some feedback from others hackers.
>
> http://media.forestal.udec.cl/pub/django/django.po.diff

The patch looks very fine :)

If you file a new ticket you can attach the complete django.po file.
If you want to just attach a diff then you will need to generate a
diff with command "svn diff > patch.diff". This command should be run
from the main folder of a Django source tree that you checked out with
svn. If you have doubts about that, feel free to ask.

Saludos,
Jorge

Mario

Mar 3, 2007, 3:25:09 PM3/3/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3647

> If you want to just attach a diff then you will need to generate a
> diff with command "svn diff > patch.diff". This command should be run
> from the main folder of a Django source tree that you checked out with

mmhh, I created the patch with diff -p "original" "new" > patch_file
and when you want to apply it

patch -p1 < "patch_name"

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/mgonzalez/

ludvig.ericson

Mar 4, 2007, 9:38:16 AM3/4/07
to Django I18N
Hello Malcolm, I know that the topic of this discussion is "Spanish
translation files" - but this seems to have went more to the way of
this new idea of language maintenance. I'd just like to say that I'm
up for maintaining the Swedish locale. I speak it fluently, etc.

Sincerely,
Ludvig Ericson.

On Feb 27, 1:59 am, Malcolm Tredinnick <malc...@pointy-stick.com>