Has anybody a German translation

Michael Radziej

Mar 3, 2008, 6:15:06 AM3/3/08
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The latest German translation has grown out of date. I didn't find any in
the open tickets, either. Does anybody have something better for a start?

Thanks,

Michael

--
noris network AG - Deutschherrnstraße 15-19 - D-90429 Nürnberg -
Tel +49-911-9352-0 - Fax +49-911-9352-100

Vorstand: Ingo Kraupa (Vorsitzender), Joachim Astel, Hansjochen Klenk -
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Stefan Schnabel - AG Nürnberg HRB 17689

Jannis Leidel

Mar 3, 2008, 7:08:50 AM3/3/08
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

> The latest German translation has grown out of date. I didn't find
> any in
> the open tickets, either. Does anybody have something better for a
> start?

An updated German locale is on my medium-dated todo list but has no
official ticket atm.
This could be a good task for the Pycon sprint, would that be okay for
you?

Cheers,
Jannis

Michael Radziej

Mar 3, 2008, 7:18:01 AM3/3/08
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 03, Jannis Leidel wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> > The latest German translation has grown out of date. I didn't find
> > any in
> > the open tickets, either. Does anybody have something better for a
> > start?
>
> An updated German locale is on my medium-dated todo list but has no
> official ticket atm.
> This could be a good task for the Pycon sprint, would that be okay for
> you?

No, I've got to finish my stuff by the 14th at latest :-(

Well, if I don't get anything here, I'll probably translate what I need by myself
(and will post the patch, of course). It's not a big problem, I only wanted
to save me unnecessary work ;-)

Jannis Leidel

Mar 3, 2008, 7:28:04 AM3/3/08
to Djang...@googlegroups.com

>>> The latest German translation has grown out of date. I didn't find
>>> any in
>>> the open tickets, either. Does anybody have something better for a
>>> start?
>>
>> An updated German locale is on my medium-dated todo list but has no
>> official ticket atm.
>> This could be a good task for the Pycon sprint, would that be okay
>> for
>> you?
>
> No, I've got to finish my stuff by the 14th at latest :-(
>
> Well, if I don't get anything here, I'll probably translate what I
> need by myself
> (and will post the patch, of course).

Ok, I just created #6703 [1] to keep track of the changes. Attach what
you've done and I'll take care of the rest, I you want.

Cheers,
Jannis

1: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6703

Michael Radziej

Mar 3, 2008, 11:01:43 AM3/3/08
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

On Mon, Mar 03, Jannis Leidel wrote:

> Ok, I just created #6703 [1] to keep track of the changes. Attach what
> you've done and I'll take care of the rest, I you want.

Thanks. I've attached a patch from revision 7189. I have translated
everything except the messages for the localflavor modules (well, something
might have slipped through).

It's a bit tiresome to go through hundreds of English, Irish, Polish etc.
region and town names. It probably makes sense for English/Galish, but not
very useful for other languages. You simply don't translate "Devonshire".
And the times where the TV news translated "New York" to "Neu-York" have
passed. Does it really make sense to make all this translateable?

Cheers,

Malcolm Tredinnick

Mar 3, 2008, 11:20:19 AM3/3/08
to Djang...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 17:01 +0100, Michael Radziej wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Mar 03, Jannis Leidel wrote:
>
> > Ok, I just created #6703 [1] to keep track of the changes. Attach what
> > you've done and I'll take care of the rest, I you want.
>
> Thanks. I've attached a patch from revision 7189. I have translated
> everything except the messages for the localflavor modules (well, something
> might have slipped through).
>
> It's a bit tiresome to go through hundreds of English, Irish, Polish etc.
> region and town names. It probably makes sense for English/Galish, but not
> very useful for other languages. You simply don't translate "Devonshire".
> And the times where the TV news translated "New York" to "Neu-York" have
> passed. Does it really make sense to make all this translateable?

Yes, it does. Not every language uses the roman alphabet. If you're
using Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Georgian, Greek, Korean,
Vietnamese, ...(you get the point), using the plain English text is
incorrect.

Malcolm

--
Remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Michael Radziej

Mar 4, 2008, 4:21:28 AM3/4/08
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 04, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> Yes, it does. Not every language uses the roman alphabet. If you're
> using Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Georgian, Greek, Korean,
> Vietnamese, ...(you get the point), using the plain English text is
> incorrect.

Ah, of course. How stupid of me ;-)