What should we do about project-id-version header in PO files?

Malcolm Tredinnick

Jun 25, 2007, 11:50:13 AM6/25/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Paul Bissex (in ticket #4677) pointed out that we have a wide variety of
strings in the PO file header called Project-Id-Version. Whilst this
isn't necessarily a bad thing, some consistency might be nice.

There isn't really a single standard for what goes into that header, so
I'm wondering what people think.

My own inclination is not to worry about version, since it rapidly gets
out of date anyway. So I would be inclined to just put "Django" or
"Django Javascript" in there, maybe with the language name as well
(which would make it easier to remember for cases where English language
name is nothing like the locale code).

Any thoughts?

Malcolm

--
Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Marc Fargas

Jun 25, 2007, 5:31:41 PM6/25/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Django & Django Javascript sound nice.
For Version we could leave it blank or put in the SVN revision on which
make-messages was run.

Cheers,
Marc

signature.asc

Marc Fargas

Jun 28, 2007, 7:25:09 AM6/28/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Malcom,
By the way, we could thing about Language-Team and Last-Translator.
The first one should maybe point to this list. The other could be the
last translator itself or, again, this list due to the policy of Django
on not including specific names around the project.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Marc

El mar, 26-06-2007 a las 01:50 +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick escribió:

signature.asc

Malcolm Tredinnick

Jun 28, 2007, 9:22:21 PM6/28/07
to Djang...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 13:25 +0200, Marc Fargas wrote:
> Hi Malcom,
> By the way, we could thing about Language-Team and Last-Translator.
> The first one should maybe point to this list. The other could be the
> last translator itself or, again, this list due to the policy of Django
> on not including specific names around the project.

I've been happy to leave them alone (up to the translators). If some
language has a team or a list where language-specific issues for that
locale are best discussed, point it there. Sometimes issues are best
worked out in the native language, rather than through English on this
list.

The last-translator one is tricky, depending on how one wants to
interpret the policy, however, I've been content to leave it as
containing the contact address for the actual last translator so that a
subsequent translator has somebody to contact.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/