Fair Software

Marc Dangeard

Jan 8, 2008, 2:41:33 PM1/8/08
to cooperationcommons
Hello everybody, and Happy New Year. Best wishes of good health, happiness and success for 2008 :-)

I have been off the discussion for sometimes but I think this one will interest you. I have a friend who is launching a new company to help evolve from Open Source to a model that would allow better management of revenues for developers. Something that may change the way software is developed in the future. He is ok having me discuss this here, so I am curious to read what you think of this initiative...

UNDER EMBARGO UNTIL FEB 15, 2008
Everyone loves Open Source and the GPL license that allows you to freely use someone else's code.

Except it's hard to pay the rent writing  free software. So we invented a new license, the Software Bill of Rights: "when you benefit from my code, you owe me a fair cut of the profit."

Fair Software keeps track of who owes what and guarantees that everyone receives their fair share. With Fair Software, small software businesses and micro-ISVs can grow their development team using a collaborative approach similar to open source, where every contributor gets paid when the software gets sold.

Because contributors get paid on future revenue, you can start a project with zero cash. Just like stock-options in a traditional startup, everyone on the team is motivated to see the product succeed. You don't even have to see a lawyer or incorporate a company, all you have to do is list your project with us - it's free - and start "hiring" contributors.

Contact: Alain Raynaud - Founder, FairSoftware, Inc. - al...@softwarebillofrights.org - (408) 667-5118

<<

--
Marc Dangeard - http://www.dangeard.com