W6WXZ SK

Andrew Moore

Feb 7, 2012, 10:52:46 PM2/7/12
to CFO
Some of you may already be aware of it but it was news to me to find out from Bob (W4NPX, #903), tonight on the CFO sked that Jack (W6WXZ, #787) passed away on October 18, 2011.

We had a good turnout on 7106 kHz tonight - I think one of the most enjoyable skeds to date - in attendance were Ben (N6SL), Joe (W3GW), Art (W4TY), Bob (W4NPX), Tom (W4BQF), Rick (VE3MFN), Bob (W5UX) and myself (NV1B).

I'm a little late to the CFO party so there's a lot of history I'm not familiar with, but I'll share my perspective and hope you'll do the same. When I heard Bob, and Jack from Fresno, in their regular QSOs on lower 40 late at night - even as recent as only a year ago - it was time to make a recording, because these are the QSOs that inspire you and motivate you to become better ops, and you want to remember those moments.  I'm pretty sure I never had a QSO with Jack, and that he had no idea that his QSOs with Bob put a smile on the face of a wanna-be high(er) speed CW op.  Maybe it was the signal strength, or the keying characteristics, or something else - something about it made it special.  Wish I could thank him right now for letting us listen in on those regular late-night QSOs.  Guess it's time to dig up those recordings and enjoy them.  There's an empty hole on lower 40 now.

Bob - and others - I bet friends don't get true'er than that, and hope you enjoy some great memories.  Can't thank you enough for stopping by 7106 kHz tonight and reminding us of what a fine op he was.

Jack was CFO #787, I believe.

Anecdotes welcome.

73 Jack.
--Andrew / NV1B
..

GEORGE, N9EJS

Feb 7, 2012, 11:06:28 PM2/7/12
to Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
Oh brother, I sure slept through a good one tonight! I was busy
working on my income taxes and didn't hear my pocket alarm go off!

Sure sorry to hear of the passing of Jack "W6WXZ/Fresno". I've been
wondering why I don't hear him and Bob on 40 meters late in the
evening. Jack was sure a fixture for a long while! I've worked him
several times, as well as Bob W4NPX.

I'm very glad to hear there sure several of the "old group" on
tonight!
We will be looking forward to hearing your recording of Bob and Jack!

I hope all you guys (and more!) will be around next Tuesday evening,
and I'll and be awake
73 - George, N9EJS - CFO #861
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

w4...@comcast.net

Feb 8, 2012, 6:43:05 AM2/8/12
to chicken-fat-o...@googlegroups.com
Sad news about Jack.  Many enjoyable QSOs with him.  He is the only CW opr that I can remember that had such a distinct CQ.  It was always (almost) CQ de W6WXZ Fresno K .
RIP Mr Jack
Tony, W4FOA
CFO 550

Feb 8, 2012, 8:51:48 AM2/8/12
to Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
Sad news. I could listen in on those 40 meter QSOs out here on Maui
when conditions were good.
Sometimes I would be able to hear Jack and Bob on Chuck's Icom, via
Mumble, if Chuck was set
up for 7032. I called them once from Hana, on the east end of Maui,
near the end of their sked to say
hello. I was using my portable rig and vertical. They heard me!

I bet Chuck, AA0HW, would be interested in any tapes of these QSOs.
They would make a nice addition
to Chuck's QRQ site.

Joe, KH6/W3GW