Customs and Border Protection statement on O'Hare Arrest

Tania Unzueta

Apr 28, 2008, 5:29:14 PM4/28/08
to chicag...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Customs and Border Protection would like to submit the following statement concerning individual that was detained at Chicago O’Hare Airport on April 24, 2008.

DHS/CBP does not discuss or release specific information on individual cases due to the Privacy Act.

·         Customs and Border protection officers enforce more than 400 laws for 40 different agencies at our ports of entry’s to secure and protect the homeland.

·         The United States , as a matter of sovereign right, exercises control over aliens seeking to enter, pass through, or remain in the national territory.  The purpose of the controls is to protect the national interest and the continuing good order and well-being of the nation.

·         CBP officers have the authority and responsibility to arrest any person/persons in the United States if he/she has reason to believe that the person encountered is in the United States unlawfully during the course of duties at ports of entry.  And as such, they have the authority to place those individuals into removal proceedings.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me at 312-983-9167.

Brett Sturgeon
Public Liaison Officer
Customs and Border Protection