For Immediate Release: ICE Preparing Ominous Raid in Mississippi ==> GESTAPO TACTICS

Rosendo Delgado

Aug 22, 2008, 10:41:36 PM8/22/08
to August11convention@Movimiento10demarzo. Org, ChicagoMayDay, Coalition for Latino Political Action, Comite_Seattle@Yahoo. Com, E. Madrid@Centroromero. Org, Iacenterla@Action-Mail. Org, Lacasadelmexicano@Yahoo. Com, Libertadparatodos2002@Hotmail. Com, LWIW Coalition, May1st Coalition, MECAWI, NAIR_CC@googlegroups. Com, NAIRgovernance@googlegroups. Com, Renteria@Radiojustice. Net, Women4immigrantrights@Lists. Riseup. Net, Workers at Midwest Human Rights

Friday, August 22, 2008

TO: Editor/News Director

Contact:
Patricia Ice-office 601-354-9355
Bill Chandler-office 601-968-5182

JACKSON, MS - A series of preparations by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on the Gulf Coast has local advocates on edge about the possibility of yet another worksite raid, and yet another devastating blow to businesses, families and communities in the name of immigration enforcement.

"The preparations we are seeing ICE make are alarmingly similar to what occurred immediately prior to the raid on the Agriprocessors, Inc. Kosher meatpacking plant in Postville, Iowa, a few months ago, " said Patricia Ice, an immigration attorney and spokesperson for MIRA. ICE has reportedly booked dozens of rooms in hotels on the Gulf Coast. They may be checking in as early as tonight.

Perhaps even more worrisome are the reports that the federal court in Hattiesburg is being readied for a response similar to the response to the raid in Postville, when nearly 400 plant workers were arrested on trumped up identity theft charges, and slammed through criminal prosecution and judicial removal (being forced to waive all their criminal defense and immigration claims) within just days of the raid.

"What happened in Postville was an absolute travesty of justice that must never happen again," said Ms. Ice. "ICE must assure that any future enforcement actions are conducted in a humane manner and that detainees are permitted their constitutional rights to due process and to legal counsel."

With all the signs pointing to an impending raid, Ms Ice, other staff and local leaders are working quickly to identify possible targets, educate workers and assemble a team of attorneys to offset the burden on public defenders and provide immigration advice.

The Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance (MIRA) is a membership-based alliance which guarantees the human rights of immigrants and all workers in Mississippi.  MIRA works to support immigrants in the exercise of their rights through providing services, organizing, advocacy and public education.

www.yourmira.org

# # #

For additional stories of abuse and background information on ICE raids and enforcement abuses, please contact the National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (NNIRR).

Please see NNIRR's human rights report, Over-Raided, Under Siege: U.S. Immigration Laws and Enforcement Destroy the Rights of Immigrants, where NNIRR documented over 100 stories of immigration law enforcement abuse and some 200 ICE raids during 2006-2007.

NNIRR's new initiative, Hurricane: the Human Rights Immigrant Community Action Network, continues tracking and reporting human rights violations perpetrated against immigrant and refugee members of our communities, including over 80 ICE raids to date.

Please call:
Arnoldo Garcia, (510) 465-1984 ext. 305 or (510) 928-0685 Cell.
Catherine Tactaquin, (510) 465-1984 ext. 302

Join HURRICANE: The Human Rights Immigrant Community Action Network -- help build community power for justice & human rights!
Unete al HURACAN: la Red de Accion de Comunidades Inmigrantes para los Derechos Humanos -- construyendo el poder de las comunidades por la justicia y los derechos humanos!

Click here for Hurricane/Haga click para info sobre el Huracan:
http://www.nnirr.org/resources/docs/NNIRRHurricaneInitiative2.pdf

Click here to get a copy of Over-Raided, Under Siege, NNIRR's new human rights report! http://www.nnirr.org/resources/docs/UnderSiege_web2.pdf

Haga clic aqui para el resumen ejecutivo del informe en
http://www.nnirr.org/resources/docs/ResumenRedadasDesmedidasOver-RaidedUnderSiege3.pdf

National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
Red Nacional Pro Derechos Inmigrantes y Refugiados
310 8th Street Suite 303 Oakland, CA 94607 | Tel (610) 465-1984 | Fax (510) 465-1885
www.nnirr.org

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to sho...@triad.rr.com by aga...@nnirr.org.
National Network for Immigrant & Refugee Rights | 310 8th Street, Suite 303 | Oakland | CA | 94607

Tony Herrera

Aug 22, 2008, 11:21:46 PM8/22/08
to August11convention@Movimiento10demarzo. Org, ChicagoMayDay, Coalition for Latino Political Action, Comite_Seattle@Yahoo. Com, E. Madrid@Centroromero. Org, Iacenterla@Action-Mail. Org, Lacasadelmexicano@Yahoo. Com, Libertadparatodos2002@Hotmail. Com, LWIW Coalition, May1st Coalition, MECAWI, NAIR_CC@googlegroups. Com, NAIRgovernance@googlegroups. Com, Renteria@Radiojustice. Net, Women4immigrantrights@Lists. Riseup. Net, Workers at Midwest Human Rights, ros...@luum.org, raza_...@yahoogroups.com, networkazt...@yahoogroups.com, nm_raz...@yahoogroups.com
Excuse me everyone,

Is there any PLAN in place besides protests and demands????  Does anyone know where they are going or are they just going?  Please advise because we can't figure out what is the strategy and plan that should be guiding our actions.  Could it be that it is the other way around, our actions are guiding our strategy?

If anyone has kept count, there have been probably a half a dozen "EMERGENCY" calls to action and "EMERGENCY" protests in the past several months.  How can we distinguish the real "emergency" from the every day implementation of "Endgame" that we are witnessing all over the country?  Didn't the "EMERGENCY" actually begin with the introduction of "ENDGAME", over five years ago?  It is at its halfway point.  Has anyone even thought to think of this fact and what the future holds and how it is to be combatted and nuetralized? Or is it just business as usual until our community is wiped out?

Can someone please fill us in?

In Solidarity,

Tony

M. Gloria Hernandez

Aug 25, 2008, 3:38:03 PM8/25/08
to networkazt...@yahoogroups.com, August11convention@Movimiento10demarzo. Org, ChicagoMayDay, Coalition for Latino Political Action, Comite_Seattle@Yahoo. Com, E. Madrid@Centroromero. Org, Iacenterla@Action-Mail. Org, Lacasadelmexicano@Yahoo. Com, Libertadparatodos2002@Hotmail. Com, LWIW Coalition, May1st Coalition, MECAWI, NAIR_CC@googlegroups. Com, NAIRgovernance@googlegroups. Com, Renteria@Radiojustice. Net, Women4immigrantrights@Lists. Riseup. Net, Workers at Midwest Human Rights, ros...@luum.org, raza_...@yahoogroups.com, nm_raz...@yahoogroups.com
me thinks people need to get training on copwatch and use those strageties to bust the illegal violations of civil rights. tell raza to go to second hands and get video cameras. they don't have to work but it scares the shit out of the migra.

To: august11c...@movimiento10demarzo.org; Chicag...@googlegroups.com; the...@hotmail.com; comite_...@yahoo.com; e.ma...@centroromero.org; iacen...@action-mail.org; lacasade...@yahoo.com; libertadpa...@hotmail.com; mu...@nilc.org; may1nat...@lists.riseup.net; mec...@mecawi.org; NAI...@googlegroups.com; NAIRgov...@googlegroups.com; rent...@radiojustice.net; women4immi...@lists.riseup.net; wor...@MidwestHumanRights.org; ros...@luum.org; raza_...@yahoogroups.com; networkazt...@yahoogroups.com; nm_raz...@yahoogroups.com
From: therre...@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:21:46 -0700
Subject: [NetworkAztlan_Action] Re: [NAIR_CC:3207] For Immediate Release: ICE Preparing Ominous Raid in Mississippi ==> GESTAPO TACTICS

[...]

--- On Fri, 8/22/08, Rosendo Delgado <rosendo@luum.org> wrote:
Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to shoyle@triad.rr.com by agarcia@nnirr.org.
National Network for Immigrant & Refugee Rights | 310 8th Street, Suite 303 | Oakland | CA | 94607

__._,_.___
Learn to live
a full life with these
healthy living
groups on Yahoo!
Family Photos
Learn how to best
capture your
family moments.
Yahoo! Groups
w/ John McEnroe
Join the All-Bran
Day 10 Club.
.

__,_._,___

Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!

Raquel Vega

Aug 25, 2008, 5:10:38 PM8/25/08
to Chicag...@googlegroups.com
I dont think we should be getting ahead of ourselves. we need to remember that ICE has a lot more resources than the immigrant rights movement...we are going up against the riches country in the world is well equiped for enforcement and well financed, and there are no shortcuts to building a mass movement. i also understand the fustration, but protest actually does work, if it is done stratigically and if the people affected are involved. activist can not stop ICE all by ourselves, we need to involve broader parts of the immigrant community, and look for solidarity from other groups of immigrants that are non-hispanic and non-immigrants. we need to clarify our ideas and how we fight back and what are our demands, so we are all on the same page, as to what we are fight for...i could go on, but we need to be clear headed when we go about doing this kinda stuff before we get burnt out.
Raquel

To: august11c...@movimiento10demarzo.org; Chicag...@googlegroups.com; the...@hotmail.com; comite_...@yahoo.com; e.ma...@centroromero.org; iacen...@action-mail.org; lacasade...@yahoo.com; libertadpa...@hotmail.com; mu...@nilc.org; may1nat...@lists.riseup.net; mec...@mecawi.org; NAI...@googlegroups.com; NAIRgov...@googlegroups.com; rent...@radiojustice.net; women4immi...@lists.riseup.net; wor...@MidwestHumanRights.org; ros...@luum.org; raza_...@yahoogroups.com; networkazt...@yahoogroups.com; nm_raz...@yahoogroups.com
From: therre...@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:21:46 -0700