New to blinklist - some ideas

Jonathan

Feb 27, 2006, 5:42:58 AM2/27/06
to BlinkList
I've just come to blinklist as a refugee from the all-but-abandonded
del.icio.us.

Perhaps I've just missed something in the docs, but if not, here's my
wishlist:

Select boxes to rename lots of tags
Make a whole tag or group of tags private/public at once, rather than
having to click through 120 of them individually.
Dragging bookmarks between tags.

That's it really, pretty much perfect otherwise!

Mike Reining

Feb 27, 2006, 10:38:07 PM2/27/06
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Great list of ideas! We are working on lots of these initiatives and
will hopefully be able to roll them out over the next couple of weeks.
Will see, we have a lot on our plate. ;)

Glad to hear that you are enjoying our service so far!

Mike

Roger Kondrat

Feb 27, 2006, 9:36:13 AM2/27/06
to BlinkList
Mike,

I want an extension for FF that replaces my bookmarks with Blinkmarks.
I like going to your site for my blinks as sometimes I need the cloud,
recent, or others lists, etc, but sometimes you are working away and
you need your blinkmarks at your finger tips so you can move through
the information you have blinked quickly and efficiently.

Your service is good enough that this won't take users away. As I said
there are already lots of reasons to go to the site, so this would just
be a another way to make your/my data available to me.

Cheers,
Rog

Mike Reining

Feb 28, 2006, 12:39:00 PM2/28/06
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,

I completely agree with you. I would also love to have this feature.
However, we are not sure how to develop this since we are not experts at
developing FireFox extensions. However, if enough users think that this
should be a top priority feature, then we will look into this and scope
it out and see if we can move this up in our development list.

How many other users would love to see this?

Mike

msteve1

Feb 27, 2006, 9:40:53 PM2/27/06
to BlinkList
I feel quite the opposite. I don't want 10,000 links in my browser. I
am considering dumping all of my Firefox bookmarks except for the
handful I use every day. I feel that BlinkList's service is good
enough that I can leave my bookmarks there and pull them up when I need
them.

It would be far more useful if I could backup my bookmarks to HTML and
import those to Firefox at my convenience if I did need a local copy.

As far as navigating my bookmarks, BlinkList is easily searched from
the Firefox address bar with this search:

http://www.blinklist.com/USER/%s

After you add the bookmark, make the keyword "blink". Type "blink
news" or "blink movies", and you go to the search page or straight to
the tag.

Jonathan

Feb 27, 2006, 10:00:33 PM2/27/06
to BlinkList
I'd love to see this feature as well.

In fact I can see wanting to integrate Blinklist into a whole bunch of
things and maybe opening up an API would help in this area. If this
came about, I'd look into doing a bunch of things.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Mike Reining

Feb 28, 2006, 2:03:22 PM2/28/06
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
We will start to look into opening up an API for BlinkList.  In the past, we made big changes all the time so having an API made little sense.  However, we are getting closer and would love to open this up to the community.

Mike

Forkboy2

Feb 28, 2006, 1:48:38 AM2/28/06
to BlinkList
You can add bookmarks from Blinklist using the RSS export feature and
FF's Live Bookmarks. Kind of a pain to set up initially because each
tag has to be set up individually, but I've got the 20 or 30 tags I
use most often set up and works great. Don't really need every single
tag.

Matt

Rob

Feb 28, 2006, 4:27:25 AM2/28/06
to BlinkList
I totally agree with you guys who would love to see more firefox -
blinklist intergration. I also think if there were more of the plug-ins
that were avavailable for un.deli.cio.us then it would increase the
popularity of Blinklist.

Roger Kondrat

Mar 1, 2006, 5:47:54 AM3/1/06
to BlinkList
I think you bring up some good points. I have only had an account for
a few months so I don't have the millions of bookmarks some others
have. But I will have and so probably are the many users the Blink team
have and are gaining, so it does make sense to consider what you have
said and compare that with my suggestion.

It that spirit I would say an integrated extension that displays our
top rated bookmarks locally but also allows us to search our bookmarks.

This would address msteve1's concerns i believe yet meet the needs of
those who would appreciate some sort of local information.

Cheers,
Rog

Rob

Mar 1, 2006, 8:46:18 AM3/1/06
to BlinkList
I agree about the need to have an option to decide which bookmark tags
should be included. Possiblly a feature using only favoirite starred
tags could be used?

I also use the live bookmarks feeature for some tags, however on the
unfortunate occassions when blinklist is down, these arent available in
firefox.

Jonathan H (The Other Jonathan)

Mar 2, 2006, 2:25:12 PM3/2/06
to BlinkList
I've just noticed there's another Jonathan, so I've changed my name in
this group to avoiding confusionating anyone!