Iran 'will retaliate if attacked'

Pastor Dale Morgan

Mar 21, 2007, 11:25:22 PM3/21/07
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Perilous Times*

*Iran 'will retaliate if attacked'*

From correspondents in Tehran

March 22, 2007 06:02am
Article from: Reuters

SUPREME Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned today Iran would hit back
with everything it has if attacked over its nuclear program, which the
United States believes is aimed at making atom bombs.

Khamenei, who has previously threatened US regional interests if
attacked, was speaking in the northeastern city of Mashhad to mark the
Iranian new year, which falls on March 21.

"If they want to threaten us and use force and violence against us, they
should not doubt that Iranian officials will use all they have in their
power to deal a blow to those who assault them," he said in an address
carried by Iranian television news.

The UN Security Council is considering new sanctions against Iran over
its refusal to suspend its uranium enrichment program, whose product can
be used to make fuel for power generation or, when more highly enriched,
nuclear weapons.

Iran, the world's fourth largest oil exporter, insists the program is
peaceful and aimed solely at generating electricity.

Khamenei said Iran's nuclear work followed international rules, but if
major powers via the Security Council took "illegal actions" and ignored
Iran's rights, "we can also carry out illegal actions and we will do that".

Washington has said it would prefer a diplomatic solution to the
standoff, but has not ruled out military options.