Fight On To Preserve Christian Heritage

Pastor Dale Morgan

Aug 20, 2006, 4:14:50 PM8/20/06
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Faith Under Fire

Fight On To Preserve Christian Heritage*

Sunday August 20, 2006 9:01 PM

By SHAYA TAYEFE MOHAJER

Associated Press Writer

BRIDGEPORT, W.Va. (AP) - Tokens of Christianity, including crosses and
religious mottos, are found in schools and government buildings all over
Harrison County. The amenities in a women's bathroom at the Board of
Education offices even include a leather-bound pocket copy of ``New
Testament: Psalms Proverbs.''

The board of education has decided that Bridgeport, a town of 8,000
people served by 40 churches, will fight to preserve its decidedly
Christian heritage.

And they're not going to let the theft of a painting of Jesus from
Bridgeport High School stand in the way of that battle.

Two civil liberties groups, Americans United for Separation of Church
and State and the West Virginia American Civil Liberties Union, filed
suit in June to remove the painting, ``Head of Christ,'' saying it sends
the message that the public school endorses Christianity as its official
religion.

The county Board of Education said last week it will fight the lawsuit,
promising it would not spend public money defending itself. The
Christian Freedom Fund raised more than $150,000 for a defense fund,
including $6,700 raised by students at the school.

The Alliance Defense Fund, a national legal organization founded in part
by Christian group Focus on the Family, was selected as lead counsel in
the case.

``We have decided to step up to the plate here. This is important to us
and reflects what our community wants in the schools,'' school board
member Mike Queen said after the decision to go to court was announced.

Early Thursday, the painting that had been at the school for 37 years
was stolen from a wall outside the principal's office. The theft was
caught by security cameras, but the thief hid his face.

Despite the theft, the legal battle will continue.

``The most logical question is 'Now that the picture's gone, is it
moot?''' said Harrison County School superintendent Carl Friebel.
``We're all in uncharted water here, but if it resurfaces, then the case
wouldn't be moot.''

The school board hopes the community will help identify the thief, and
Friebel said local churches had offered to replace the painting.

Communities all over the country are fighting to keep Christian
monuments, crosses and portraits in place, encouraged by the Bush
Administration's conservative appointments to the U.S. Supreme Court,
says Douglas Laycock, a professor of constitutional law at the
University of Texas and an expert in separation of church and state cases.

``Schools are considered the most sensitive location because with
children, personal matters like religion are to be left to parents, not
government,'' Laycock said.

Monetary support like the funds raised for the Bridgeport legal battle
is not always indicative of a unified community standard, he said.

``These religiously homogeneous small towns may have a large majority of
a single faith, but they're not nearly as unanimous as they might
imagine,'' Laycock said, explaining that people of other faiths,
nonbelievers and Christians don't want their religion mixed with government.

The two civil liberties groups that filed the lawsuit on the behalf of
local plaintiffs don't believe it's up to the community to decide.

``I think what you're dealing with is a small group of rabble-rousers
that only want to live with people who live as they do. My answer to
that is go to a private school, go to a parochial school; don't go to a
public school,'' said Andrew Schneider, executive director of the West
Virginia ACLU.

That doesn't impress Pattae Kinney, who says she doesn't understand why
her daughter's school is being singled out.

``My take on this is that our country was founded on Christian
principles. It's on our money - 'In God We Trust' - it's in our Pledge
of Allegiance, it's a part of our lives,'' Kinney said. ``I know our
community and we're very in favor of keeping this painting.''