Fake 'Jesus tomb' found in Jerusalem

Pastor Dale Morgan

Feb 26, 2007, 11:51:42 AM2/26/07
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Perilous Times

Fake 'Jesus tomb' found in Jerusalem*

Sarcophagus found in Jerusalem

A documentary claims this is the coffin of Jesus Christ

Jesus had a son named Judah and was buried alongside Mary Magdalene,
according to a new documentary by Hollywood film director James Cameron.

It examines a tomb that, it is claimed, belonged to Jesus and his
family, and was found near Jerusalem in 1980.

The Oscar-winning director of Titanic says statistical analysis and DNA
show the tomb is that of Jesus.

Archaeologists say that the burial cave is probably that of a Jewish
family with similar names to Jesus's family.

Samples tested

Israeli construction workers building an apartment complex in East
Talpiot, in the West Bank, first uncovered 10 2,000-year-old ossuaries -
or limestone coffins - in a tomb in March 1980.

According to the Israel Antiquities Authority, six of those coffins were
marked with the names Mary; Matthew; Jesua son of Joseph; Mary; Jofa
(Joseph, Jesus' brother); and Judah son of Jesua.

The documentary The Lost Tomb of Jesus, produced by Mr Cameron, claims
tests on samples from two of the coffins show Jesus and Mary Magdalene
were likely to have been buried in them and were a couple.

The filmmakers used this finding to claim that the coffin marked "Judah
son of Jesua" contains the son of Jesus and Mary.

But they say the discovery of the tomb does not mean that Jesus was not
resurrected three days after his death - a key Christian belief.

Israeli archaeologist Amos Kloner says the names marked on the coffins
were very common at the time.

"I don't accept the news that it was used by Jesus or his family," he
told the BBC News website.

"The documentary filmmakers are using it to sell their film."

Mr Cameron will show two of the coffins at a news conference in New York
on Monday.

"It doesn't get bigger than this," he said in a press release.

"We've done our homework; we've made the case; and now it's time for the
debate to begin."

Local residents said they were pleased with the attention the tomb has
drawn.

"It will mean our house prices will go up because Christians will want
to live here," one woman said.