Muslim rebels storm Philippine jail; 46 escape

1 view

Pastor Dale Morgan

Feb 1, 2007, 11:30:57 PM2/1/07
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Perilous Times*

Friday February 2, 9:18 AM Reuters*

Muslim rebels storm Philippine jail; 46 escape*

MANILA (Reuters) - Suspected Muslim rebels stormed a jail in the
southern Philippines early on Friday with grenades and rockets, blasted
a hole in its wall and helped more than 46 prisoners escape, authorities
said.

Some of those who escaped were men arrested for bomb blasts in the
volatile Mindanao region of the south, where at least four Islamic
separatist groups operate.

At least 25 heavily-armed men attacked the jail in Kidapawan City, 960
kilometres (600 miles) south of Manila, just after midnight and freed
the prisoners in a 15-minute operation, said Federico Dulay, police
chief of the North Cotabato province. Forty six of the 789 prisoners
housed there escaped, he said. Two people were wounded, including a jail
guard.

"We were caught with our pants down," said provincial governor Emmanuel
Pinot.

"I have ordered police to shoot these very dangerous people if they will
resist arrest. They are better dead than a menace to our communities."