Residents Worship in Tornado-Torn Town

1 view

Pastor Dale Morgan

May 13, 2007, 6:42:21 PM5/13/07
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Perilous Times

Residents Worship in Tornado-Torn Town
*

Sunday May 13, 2007 10:01 PM

By ROXANA HEGEMAN

Associated Press Writer

GREENSBURG, Kan. (AP) - Church leaders on Sunday told more than 3,000
residents, volunteers and disaster workers gathered in this
tornado-ravaged community they should not fear the future because God
was with them.

The non-denominational service marked the first time the congregations
have worshipped in Greensburg since a May 4 tornado destroyed more than
90 percent of the south-central Kansas town and killed nine people.

Tears and hugs were common as many residents saw each other for the
first time since the tornado. Volunteers passed out flowers to mothers
in honor of Mother's Day.

``We are a scattered, dispersed community. But the Lord Jesus is our
redeemer and is with us. 'Do not fear for I am with you,' says the
Lord,'' said Rev. Gene McIntosh, pastor of First United Methodist Church
in Greensburg.

Tim Henning, pastor of Peace Lutheran Church in Greensburg, likened the
city's plight to that of Job in the Bible, whom God tested by taking
away everything he loved but who kept his faith through it all: ``We are
like him, we lost everything,'' he said.

Henning reminded residents that God was still with them.

The congregations held hands as Willard Olinger, the elderly pastor of
Faith Tabernacle, reassured them that Greensburg will be rebuilt, even
if it is not within his lifetime.

Bob and Donna Detwiler, residents of neighboring Pratt whose
son-in-law's parents lost their home, said they wanted to be with family
here for services.

``It is a chance to get this many people together - to give them
something to think about other than the tragedy they have been
through,'' she said.