Watching, Warning, Waiting

1 view

Pastor Dale Morgan

May 17, 2007, 9:17:02 PM5/17/07
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Bible Study

Watching, Warning, Waiting*

*WATCHING - *I Thessalonians 5:1-10

THE SCRIPTURES continually instruct believers to "watch and be sober."
The fifth chapter of Paul's first epistle to the Thessalonian believers
emphasizes this injunction (v. 6). Watching is the opposite of sleeping,
and no Christian should be found sleeping as the time of our Lord's
return draws nigh. Watch for His return: watch for the entrapments of
Satan; watch for every opportunity to serve. Nevertheless, it is
painfully true today that most believers are asleep; few are really
watching. God does not leave His children in the dark about what is
coming and why (vv. 1-5). Therefore, any believer who finds himself in
darkness (not understanding God's instructions) must be awakened to the
fact that his darkness is self-induced; God's light is readily available
in the Word, but the sleeping believer cannot benefit by it because his
eyes are closed. What a tragedy!

How may we determine whether we are awake or asleep? The deciding factor
is not how we feel or what others may think, but whether or not our walk
and witness conform to the light of the Word. Verse eight makes it clear
that believers who are awake will be sober; they will be wearing the
breastplate of faith and love and the helmet of salvation; they will be
comforting one another and edifying (spiritually building up) each other
(v. I I)-, they will be appreciative of and submissive to the faithful
overseers (pastors) God has given; and they will be at peace among
themselves (vv. 12-13). Are we awake? If so, then we will be watchmen,
for our Lord’s return and living each day as if we really believe that
it is true.

*
WARNING - *I Thessalonians 5:11-15

BELIEVERS WHO are watching will also be diligent in warning others of
the dangers that can stumble those who are not walking in the Light.
Christians who are awake will do their best to awaken all who slumber
and sleep. God specifically instructs "watching" believers to "warn them
that are unruly" (v. 14)—those who walk contrary to God's Word, that is,
disobedient brethren (2 Thess. 3:6)."Watching" believers will also
"comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men"
(v. 14). Though some believers knowingly rebel against the revealed will
of God, others are still "babes" in Christ; they have never been given
the "strong meat" of the Word. Some of these saints are the victims of
compromising pastors and leaders who remain silent about the "wolves in
sheep's clothing "that decimate the flock. Be caring and longsuffering
when alerting the unwary.

In our desire to see the salvation of unsaved friends and loved ones, we
must never forget that they are dead in sins and blinded concerning the
Gospel. We must not fault them for their lost condition or for their
inability to respond to what we know is so important. In love and
patience we must keep giving them the simple pure Gospel. that is able
to give life and light. Likewise, as we seek to awaken sleeping
Christians we must manifest love and patience for those who do not wake
up immediately. We must watch; we must warn, but we must also exercise
great compassion and patience to those who are "out of the way" (Jude 22).

*WAITING *- I Thessalonians 5:16-28

WE MUST ADD WAITING to the list of adjectives that describe the faithful
believer in these last days when opposition to the Truth is becoming
increasingly more vehement. The Christian is not waiting for the world
to get better or for the message of the Cross to become more popular; he
is, however, anxiously awaiting "the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ"
(v. 23) and the fulfillment of all His great and precious promises. All
that God has promised to the believer will one day be fully realized
when he stands before the Lord Jesus Christ at His appearing. God has
called us to glory, and at that glorious day He "also will do it" (v.
24); that is, the Lord will bring to pass our glorification, the
promised end of our great salvation.

We must keep in mind, however, that we are not to be idle while we wait
for our faith to be made sight. In the meantime, we are to be rejoicing,
praying, giving thanks, yielding to the Holy Spirit, studying the Word,
testing all things by the Bible and holding fast to the Truth (vv. 16-2
1). We must seek to walk on a set course that is considerably different
from that of this present evil world. Anyone who purposes to obey the
command to "abstain from all appearance of evil" (v. 22) will
necessarily find himself at odds with those who are happy with the broad
way. We cannot obey today's text in our own strength, but "faithful is
He that calleth you, who also will do it" (v. 24)–God will enable us. We
must not quit or even hesitate to move forward in our Christian walk; it
will be worth it all when we see Jesus.