Russia moves missiles into Georgia

Pastor Dale Morgan

Aug 18, 2008, 8:05:02 PM8/18/08
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Perilous Times*

*Russia moves missiles into Georgia
*
From correspondents in Washington

August 19, 2008 05:07am
Article from: Agence France-Presse

RUSSIA has moved short-range SS-21 missile launchers into South Ossetia
since fighting there came to a halt, possibly putting the Georgian
capital Tbilisi in range, US officials said today.

The development came amid signs that Russia was adding ground troops and
equipment to its force in South Ossetia and Abkhazia, strengthening its
hold over the breakaway regions, officials said.

"We are seeing evidence of SS-21 missiles in South Ossetia," a US
defence official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The White House would not comment on the status of the Russian forces.

"But let me be clear: If it rolled in after August 6th, it needs to roll
out," said White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe.

"That would be in keeping with the Russian commitment on withdrawal," he
said as US President George W. Bush spent time on his Texas ranch.

Without confirming that a Russian buildup was under way in the enclaves,
a Pentagon spokesman said: "Anything such as that or any other military
equipment that was moved in would be in violation of the ceasefire and
should be removed immediately."

"The only forces that are permitted to remain under the ceasefire
agreement are the forces that were in there at the August 6th timeframe"
before the conflict erupted, said spokesman Bryan Whitman.

A second US official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said
several SS-21 launchers and associated equipment entered the enclave
after the fighting came to a halt last week.

The New York Times, which first reported on the move, said they entered
South Ossetia on Saturday.

Both officials said the short-range missiles should be capable of
targeting Tbilisi.

"We're seeing them solidify their positions in South Ossetia and
Abkhazia," the defence official said, adding that "more troops and more
equipment" were evident in the enclaves.

The defence official said at least 10 battalions of Russian troops were
in the enclaves and in Georgia. The US official put the number of
Russian troops at close to 15,000.

But the defence official said it was "hard to say" whether Russia has
begun pulling any troops out of Georgia and back into the enclaves.

"I can't say whether they are actually moving people out right now or
not, but we do expect them to start moving out. We expect them to move
out slowly, so this may take some time," he said.

It was unclear whether the SS-21s were the first to enter Georgian
territory.

Deputy National Security Adviser Jim Jeffrey said a week ago that Mr
Bush, in Beijing at the time for the Olympic Games, was immediately
notified on August 8 "when we received news of the first two SS-21
Russian missile launchers into Georgian territory".

Mr Bush then immediately met with Russian President Vladimir Putin about
it at the Great Hall of the People, Mr Jeffrey said.

Russia has launched about two dozen short-range missiles during the
course of the conflict, which erupted on August 7 with a Georgian
incursion into South Ossetia and escalated with an all-out Russian
offensive two days later, a senior US defence official said last week.

The SS-21 missile launcher is a battlefield medium-range tactical
ballistic missile with a range from 70 to 120 kilometres.

There are around 100 kilometres between Tskhinvali, the capital of South
Ossetia, and Tbilisi, which would mean the Georgian capital is in within
reach of the SS-21s.

The SS-21, which has a reputation for precision, can carry conventional,
biological and chemical weapons, but also nuclear warheads like
fragmentation bombs.

The missile is mainly used for attacking targets like airfields,
military bases, radar stations and energy stores.

But because of its precision it can hit many other targets.