Microchip Elderly People, Says Science Minister

瀏覽次數:1 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Pastor Dale Morgan

未讀,
2007年4月19日 晚上10:53:542007/4/19
收件者:Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Big Brother and The Police State

Microchip Elderly People, Says Science Minister*

Apr 19th, 2007 6:42 AM

Tag elderly people, says science minister

UK - Elderly people should be "tagged" to enable the authorities to keep
tabs on them, a government minister suggested today.

Science minister Malcolm Wicks said satellite technology could be used
to allow families to monitor frail or elderly relatives, it was reported
today.

According to the Mirror newspaper, Mr Wicks said many families worried
about elderly relatives or "what's happening about an 80 or 90-year-old
who may have Alzheimer's", and using the technology could let them know
their loved one was safe.

Mr Wicks said: "Satellites currently monitor the planet in a variety of
different ways. I'm raising this as an issue for discussion. Are there
other uses of technology that could benefit society?

"We've got an ageing population with many people frail and many
suffering from dementia, including Alzheimer's.

"How can we get the balance right so that these people have the freedom
to live their lives, to go out in the community and go shopping?"

Similar technology is used to "tag" and keep track of convicted
criminals who have been released from prison.

Paul Bates, a spokesman for charity Help the Aged, said he did not rule
out Mr Wicks' suggestion.

"As long as this is sensibly handled, modern technology can play an
important role in securing dignity for vulnerable older people," he said.

"Help the Aged would not dismiss this out of hand and we would not want
to label this as 'tagging'. What this potentially could be is modern
technology being used to bring reassurance and stability for families
with vulnerable older relatives."

© 2007 Independent News and Media Limited

回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄
0 則新訊息