Fwd: [sf-lug] Fwd: Re:Researcher involved with Noisebridge detained at U.S. border, questioned about Wikileaks

giovanni_re

Aug 11, 2010, 4:01:56 PM8/11/10
to BTG

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 21:39:45 -0700
From: Alan Crandall <snip>
:

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Odd H. Sandvik<snipped> wrote:

> "Appelbaum, a U.S. citizen, was taken into a room, frisked and his bag
> was searched. Receipts from his bag were photocopied and his laptop was
> inspected but it's not clear in what manner, the sources said. Officials
> from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the U.S. Army then told
> him he was not under arrest but was being detained, the sources said.
> They asked questions about Wikileaks, asked for his opinions about the
> wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and asked where Wikileaks founder Julian
> Assange is, but he declined to comment without a lawyer present,
> according to the sources. He was not permitted to make a phone call,
> they said."
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20012253-245.html

Obamas' SS at work
and we thought he was going to save us ! :(

--
if you bought it
a truck driver brought it

Gonna look at Tor.
very interesting
later
bliss

Shawn Adams

Aug 11, 2010, 6:17:38 PM8/11/10
to BerkTI...@googlegroups.com

Anyone who thought Obama was anything other than a good looking, smooth
talking - moderately acceptable liberal employee of VISA, and the gay
and Islamic lobbies is either poorly informed, or very naive.

If US intelligence suspects Mr. Appelbaum - and indeed - such suspicion
might be relatively well founded - then they have the right to protect
US intelligence interests.

What might be more interesting efficiency improvement would be to
identify and correct the idiots defining US travel security policies at
airports.

The US mexican border wide open, US water ports unwatched, thousands of
people in the US with expired work VISAs who's whereabouts are unknown
to US intelligence groups (courtesy of ignorant and irresponsible US
green-card policies) - including some 600+ with ties to known terrorist
groups.

But Grandma cannot carry her knitting needles onto an airplane because
we are stupid enough not to use racial profiling to identify the most
likely security threats...the FBI and other intelligence groups call
this "profiling" and it works...

The rest of this call it "Common sense"...
The US needs to stop using a driver's license (state issued - easily
forged and DOES NOT indicate citizenship) as a form of Identification
instead of a Passport like every other sane country.

Combine this with more lawyers per capita who have somehow twisted the
spirit of the law to conclude that it is not against US law to be in the
US without proper valid permit of residence.... and somehow that illegal
aliens (undocumented workers my ass! call it what it is) have rights in
a country in which they have no legal right to reside in.

I guess with my US drivers' license i can travel to Mexico city, build a
house, get a job, get health insurance... avoid taxes... and fully
expect the Federales to never check if I possess right of residence ?

Perhaps I can qualify for some state aid whilst there, I'd love to have
a water fountain on my patio....

Maybe import a few wetbacks from Arizona - I know a few guys who are
*really* good at those water pumps...

what happened to common sense ?

Hike Danakian

Aug 11, 2010, 7:38:18 PM8/11/10
to berkti...@googlegroups.com
>>  "Appelbaum, a U.S. citizen, was taken into a room, frisked and his bag
>>  was searched. Receipts from his bag were photocopied and his laptop was
>>  inspected but it's not clear in what manner, the sources said. Officials
>>  from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the U.S. Army then told
>>  him he was not under arrest but was being detained, the sources said.
>>  They asked questions about Wikileaks, asked for his opinions about the
>>  wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and asked where Wikileaks founder Julian
>>  Assange is, but he declined to comment without a lawyer present,
>>  according to the sources. He was not permitted to make a phone call,
>>  they said."
>>
>>  http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20012253-245.html

Wow, I had read about this but didn't know it was one of the
NoiseBridge founders... seems like the dumbest interrogation too. It's
not like the wikileaks founder is hiding in some desert, that they
need to detain and interrogate people about it. It does sound like he
was unjustly detained though... being a US citizen, etc. I'm guessing
some Army officials wanted to feel important, so they decided to
detain a high-profile hacker.

-- Hike Danakian

Hike Danakian

Aug 11, 2010, 7:46:28 PM8/11/10
to berkti...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Shawn Adams <shawn...@web.de> wrote:
<snip>

> what happened to common sense ?

I agree that many (most) of the airport security policies are stupid
and ineffective (just the fact that they /offer/ to take my liquid
items, which I can easily rig with a slow-fused explosive, and
probably just toss it in a nearby trashcan as I happily board my
flight), but the alternative solution can't be mindless profiling.
I've probably been pulled aside for "random" searches half a dozen
times in the last two years, so it isn't like they don't profile.
Making it a policy to profile is absolute stupidity, since terrorists
have the ability to shave too.

-- Hike Danakian

Shawn Adams

Aug 12, 2010, 1:28:54 AM8/12/10
to BerkTI...@googlegroups.com
Stats prove the profiling works, this is not a point for debate, the
results of this type of work date back to the late 1800s

profiling is not 100% based on physical characteristic data

random is theoretically not resulting from profiling, agree -stupid.

giovanni_re

Aug 12, 2010, 1:37:44 AM8/12/10
to BTG
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:46:28 -0700, "Hike Danakian" <hda...@gmail.com>
said:

> I've probably been pulled aside for "random" searches half a dozen
> times in the last two years, so it isn't like they don't profile.

You were paf"r"s where?? Re airplane flight? Just walking down the
street? Where in the world?

Hike Danakian

Aug 12, 2010, 1:57:27 AM8/12/10
to berkti...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM, giovanni_re <joh...@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:46:28 -0700, "Hike Danakian" <hda...@gmail.com>
> said:
>> I've probably been pulled aside for "random" searches half a dozen
>> times in the last two years, so it isn't like they don't profile.
>
> You were paf"r"s where??  Re airplane flight?  Just walking down the
> street? Where in the world?

Yeah, I meant on airplane flights (after the initial security check).

giovanni_re

Aug 12, 2010, 2:32:58 AM8/12/10
to BTG
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:57:27 -0700, "Hike Danakian" <hda...@gmail.com>

said:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM, giovanni_re <joh...@fastmail.us>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:46:28 -0700, "Hike Danakian" <hda...@gmail.com>
> > said:
> >> I've probably been pulled aside for "random" searches half a dozen

So, by quoting random, you imply it wasn't random, it was in fact
profiling?

> >> times in the last two years, so it isn't like they don't profile.
> >
> > You were paf"r"s where??  Re airplane flight?  Just walking down the
> > street? Where in the world?
>
> Yeah, I meant on airplane flights (after the initial security check).

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Hike Danakian

Aug 12, 2010, 2:37:53 AM8/12/10
to berkti...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:32 PM, giovanni_re <joh...@fastmail.us> wrote:
> So, by quoting random, you imply it wasn't random, it was in fact
> profiling?

Right. I don't think it's really possible to do random searches with
humans... even if you try consciously to not be biased, there are
strong influences from the subconscious that are hard to directly
control. So in fact, they are more likely to pull aside the bearded
hacker/middle-eastern guy than the little lady (also I suspect that
they try to avoid female searches to avoid sexism-related-backlash).

-- Hike Danakian