Successful Update To Android 1.5: Here Is How I Did It

alopecoid

Apr 28, 2009, 9:10:32 AM4/28/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi,

Last night, I successfully updated my Android Dev Phone 1 (ADP1) to
use Android version 1.5. I am new to this process and hit a few snags
along the way, so I figured I would share my experiences in hopes that
they will possibly help others in the same situation.

It might be worth mentioning that I executed these steps on a MacBook
Pro running OS X 10.5.6, though I think these steps will work
regardless.

First, I stumbled across this page, which contains instructions and
links to all the necessary downloads:
http://www.htc.com/www/support/android/adp.html

What did NOT work (for me):

After reading the instructions, I downloaded the Android SDK (later I
found that I did NOT need to do this), and decided to go with the
"fastboot method". To make a long story short, no matter what I did,
executing "adb devices" would not list my device. Neither did
"fastboot devices".

What DID work (for me):

1. Download the "Radio Image" file (ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip) and the
"Recovery Image" file (signed-dream_devphone-ota-147201.zip).

2. Make sure that a MicroSD card is in the phone, and connect it to a
computer via USB (non-Mac users may have to install certain USB
drivers first). Select the USB notification when it appears on the
phone, and when prompted, mount the device.

3. Copy the "Radio Image" file (ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip) to the root
directory of the MicroSD card (I simply used Finder to do this) and
rename it to "update.zip". When finished, unmount the USB device (I
used the "eject" button in Finder).

4. Turn off the phone (by holding the "end call" button). While
holding down the "home" button, turn the phone on again (again, by
pressing the "end call" button). When you see the "!" icon, flip out
your keyboard and press the key combination ALT+l (that is a lower
case "L"). When you see the console-based menu appear, press the key
combination ALT+s. When the progress bar completes, press both the
"home" and "back" buttons on the phone at the same time. This reboots
the device, which should eventually bring up Android as normal.

5. Repeat step #2. Delete the "update.zip" file from the MicroSD card
(I did this using Finder).

6. Copy the "Recovery Image" file (signed-dream_devphone-
ota-147201.zip) to the root directory of the MicroSD card (I simply
used Finder to do this) and rename it to "update.zip". When finished,
unmount the USB device (I used the "eject" button in Finder).

7. Repeat step #4. When finished (and after a long initial boot), you
should be running Android 1.5. You can choose to repeat step #5 to
cleanup the unneeded file from the MicroSD card.

These are the steps that worked for me. Take them "with a grain of
salt", as I am not sure that they will work for everyone. One thing to
mention that didn't seem to be stated anywhere, is that this process
kept in tact all of my previous data, settings, and applications.
Again, just be cautious. Just because this worked for me, doesn't
necessarily mean this will work for everyone.

I hope this was helpful!

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 28, 2009, 9:28:45 AM4/28/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the writeup. Those steps look correct. Not being able to
"see" the device with adb or fastboot is odd, but (as you correctly
noticed) it's possible to update a device entirely through the SD
card.

JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Android Engineer, Google.

warning.

Margaret

Apr 28, 2009, 11:30:34 AM4/28/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com

I update it follow htc.com

adp

On Apr 28, 2009 9:28 PM, "Jean-Baptiste Queru" <j...@android.com> wrote:

Thanks for the writeup. Those steps look correct. Not being able to
"see" the device with adb or fastboot is odd, but (as you correctly
noticed) it's possible to update a device entirely through the SD
card.

JBQ

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:10 AM, alopecoid <alop...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hi, > > Last night, I s...

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Android Engineer, Google.

warning.

Mike

Apr 28, 2009, 12:20:41 PM4/28/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Try running adb as root:
sudo bash
./adb kill-server
./adb devices

Does that help?

rjensen

Apr 28, 2009, 7:24:48 PM4/28/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Thanks for posting this! I had the same problem with the fastboot
process (It also happened when I updated from 1.0 to 1.1). No matter
what I did, adb devices never showed my device. I'm on Ubuntu 9.04.

I think this method should be posted somewhere as an alternative to
the fastboot method.

Farhad

Apr 28, 2009, 10:49:27 PM4/28/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I agree. adb devices also wasn't showing my devices. This posting
helped.

Thanks!

murray

Apr 29, 2009, 2:54:30 AM4/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Gentlemen,

I agree,...

if there are any google/htc engineers monitoring these forums
can you make a effort to periodically update the http://source.android.com/
documentation with the latest finding from these forums.

It would really help!

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 29, 2009, 8:53:14 AM4/29/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Yup, we're here, and we're aware of the fact that the documentation
about the update process (which is actually on HTC's web site, not at
source.android.com) isn't as clear as it should be, especially as it
doesn't mention all the different ways to put update.zip on the SD
card.

Because there are potentially a lot of variations from one environment
to another, there is also a great opportunity for the community to
maintain e.g. a wiki page somewhere with information about the details
for specific environments/configurations.

JBQ

Chavepeyer Geoffrey

Apr 29, 2009, 10:03:55 AM4/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
That worked for me without any problems :)

Thanks !

sap

Apr 30, 2009, 4:42:58 PM4/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
HI,

I followed your procedure. However, I could not proceed further than
trying to load the Radio Image from the Recovery mode. I am using a
Windows environment. I connected the phone with SD card inserted to my
laptop and copied the Radio Image zip file onto the SD card partition
on the hard disk.

I renamed it update.zip. I then unpluged the USB cable from the laptop
to unmount the SD card and then proceeded to put the phone in Recovery
mode by pressing both the home button and the "end call" button at the
same time. When the phone enters Recovery mode, I press ALT+l and ALT
+s. I get a error here saying

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-Install from sdcard
Finding update package
Opening update package
E:can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)
Installation aborted.

Can someone tell me what is going on here? I made sure that the zip
file is not read only.

Thanks
Sap.

Troy - Purple Oranges

Apr 30, 2009, 5:07:33 PM4/30/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
I think a Wiki for all of this is a fantastic idea.

If I host one, are there any people willing to help maintain it?

http://wiki.android-adp.com/

Regards,
Troy Kelly

Purple Oranges Pty Ltd
http://purpleoranges.com/
--
Phone + 61 7 3018 2840
Fax + 61 7 3105 5987

Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it should be considered without prejudice and are confidential
and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present
this message to another party without gaining permission from the
sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any
purpose other than to notify us.

Purple Oranges Pty Ltd.

Øystein Jakobsen

May 2, 2009, 4:55:00 AM5/2/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I havent successfully updated the phone yet, here are the steps I've
taken:

First problem was installing the USB drivers on Vista 64bit. Solution
was oading my VMware image of Windows XP and doing everything from
there

Then I got "permission denied" when trying to use the "adb push"
command. Some forums suggested that when I connected the device I
chose "dont mount", but the adb tool then just said "device not
found". However, when connecting the device it pops up as a new drive,
and after reading this post I simply copied the radio package to the
device and renamed it to "update.zip".

I booted the device into recovery mode and tried to update the radio,
but I just get the message

E: Cant't open /sdcard/update.zip
(No such file or directory)
Installation aborted

Just to be sure that it landed on the SDcard and not internal memory
somehow I checked the card through a card reader, and yes - the file
"update.zip" was there, all nice and dandy. Howcome he cant find the
file? I checked and double-checked, yes the file is there and yes its
the ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip file... Im running the factory Google
Dev 1 with 1.0 firmware version

Srdjan Rosic

May 2, 2009, 7:55:35 AM5/2/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried running cmd as administrator and then adb push ?
Srdjan Rosic

rac

May 3, 2009, 7:29:21 AM5/3/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
To all that have problems with adb not finding the device...

On ubuntu (and on all Linux that havent opened the USB device to all
users) you have to start the server as root... afterwards you can use
adb from your normal user account.
whenever you connect the usb cable (or Android is doing a reconect you
have to run the first adb command as root (eg. sudo adb devices or
sudo bash and then adb devices).
An adb wrapper script would might be helpful that checks if your
device is listed and if not kills running adb server and restarts it
as root...

Øystein Jakobsen

May 3, 2009, 8:25:07 AM5/3/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I did it now! I read in another forum that some people had problems
with the stock SD card that came with the Google Dev 1 device. When I
tried the aforementioned process using another SD card it worked like
a charm! Regular copying of files using Windows Explorer, renaming and
updating.

Øystein

On May 2, 1:55 pm, Srdjan Rosic <srdjan.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried running cmd as administrator and then adb push ?
> Srdjan Rosic

Emat

May 4, 2009, 11:14:12 PM5/4/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi,

I went through all the steps but now, my phone hangs in the Android
start screen. I can't go further.

When I relaunch the I have the following message : E:Can't open /cache/
recovery/command

Anything I can do to solve that issue ?

Emat

Emat

May 4, 2009, 11:22:57 PM5/4/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating

Hi,

I have solved it by reflashing the recovery image and swiping
everything.

I have lost all my data by my phone works now...

Emat

rjensen

May 5, 2009, 9:49:45 AM5/5/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
When I run "sudo adb devices" it says command not found. Any idea why
adb devices works but not with sudo? I'm on Ubuntu 9.04
Message has been deleted

Vinnychoff

May 5, 2009, 11:34:52 AM5/5/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
hi
i tried to copy your advice. my phone at step 4,
i was able to hit alt plus L and S. but then the phone froze and i had
to take the battery out.

i followed the next steps and then

e: cant open/cache/recovery/command

phone locked again and had to remove the battery

i tried to reboot the phone by holding the home and off button but no
change.

when turning off the phone with both buttons i then get a option to go
silent or shut
down. i guess you meant to close down with the power off.

i have set a pin on my sim card. that is the only thing i can think
of.
i have just checked and deleted the update.zip as of your last step.
checked my version but it is still on firmware ver 1.0

can you help?
regards Vincenzo

Jackan

May 5, 2009, 4:16:14 PM5/5/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi!
Where do I get the USB-drivers? I'm using 32-bit Vista, and Android-
DevPhone 1.

Thanks!

jAnO!

May 6, 2009, 6:39:09 AM5/6/09

On Apr 28, 3:10 pm, alopecoid <alopec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I hope this was helpful!

It sure was! Easy peasy.. No new usb drivers, no sdk just plain old
win-xp and your instructions,

Thanks!

Vinnychoff

May 7, 2009, 12:19:48 PM5/7/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
i have tried putting in the original sd card and now see that i have
both files in the 1meg sd card meta-inf and radio.img
is it that i now rename both the files to update.zip
or ??

Jorge A Gallegos

May 7, 2009, 12:24:31 PM5/7/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
You'll have to:
 - move radio...zip -> update.zip
 - Follow the steps to apply the update in recovery mode
 - Let it reboot
 - If everything went ok, move signed-dream....zip -> update.zip (you can delete the previous update.zip file if you want)
 - Proceed to go to recovery mode, then apply the update (same process as with the radio image)

Regards

________________
Jorge A Gallegos
-kad-

Vincenzo Iaciofano

May 8, 2009, 6:52:02 AM5/8/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
I do not seem able to move past sd card and files

i have tried downloading the file to a windows machine, format the card, creat a new update.zip file, drag and drop both files into it, tried to reboot phone

same each time
fails to access
same error
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

any one know what it is i am doing wrong?
phone has been wiped of data with alt + w

2009/5/7 Jorge A Gallegos <galle...@gmail.com>

--
Thanks

http://steelroadbike.blogspot.com/

http://androidphone-vinny.blogspot.com/

http://ducati916bipostowhyiboughtone.blogspot.com/

Vincenzo Iaciofano

May 8, 2009, 9:10:34 AM5/8/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
im sorry tried again and the error is
after alt + l
e:cant open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)

Zero

May 8, 2009, 9:58:27 AM5/8/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
3 things i can think of that might cause that:
1) your download got corrupted. make sure the checksum of you
downloaded files matches those on the website
http://www.htc.com/www/support/android/adp.html

2) the copy process didn't finish properly. then copying data to
sdcard, the usb stack is still moving data even if windows says it's
finished.

if you can use adb, try $ adb shell sync , whenever this call returns,
the copy process is complete. if you can't use adb, just wait 2
minutes before unplugging the usb cable and you should be ok

3) your sdcard is bad. getting a small, just-for-upgrade spare, is
like a ~7€ investment, so that might be a good idea on its own.

good luck!

zero

On May 8, 3:10 pm, Vincenzo Iaciofano <vincenzo.iaciof...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> im sorry tried again and the error is
> after alt + l
> e:cant open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)
>
> 2009/5/8 Vincenzo Iaciofano <vincenzo.iaciof...@gmail.com>
>

> > I do not seem able to move past sd card and files
>
> > i have tried downloading the file to a windows machine, format the card,
> > creat a new update.zip file, drag and drop both files into it, tried to
> > reboot phone
>
> > same each time
> > fails to access
> > same error
> > E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command
>
> > any one know what it is i am doing wrong?
> > phone has been wiped of data with alt + w
>
> > 2009/5/7 Jorge A Gallegos <gallego...@gmail.com>
>
> > You'll have to:
> >>  - move radio...zip -> update.zip
> >>  - Follow the steps to apply the update in recovery mode
> >>  - Let it reboot
> >>  - If everything went ok, move signed-dream....zip -> update.zip (you can
> >> delete the previous update.zip file if you want)
> >>  - Proceed to go to recovery mode, then apply the update (same process as
> >> with the radio image)
>
> >> Regards
>
> >> ________________
> >> Jorge A Gallegos
> >> -kad-
>
> >> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Vinnychoff <vincenzo.iaciof...@gmail.com

Jorge A Gallegos

May 8, 2009, 10:34:43 AM5/8/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
I got that error a couple of times with the recovery image (the radio image presented no problems whatsoever) even though the checksum appeared to be fine. I tried copying the file several times using adb, until I got tired and copied it using the file browser. When I unmounted the sdcard I got a notification about data being written to the disk, when that disappeared I tried again the upgrade and this time it worked.
So I would check the checksum of the file first, if it's ok, copy it using the file browser to the sdcard and leave it there 5 more minutes, then disconnect the phone's usb cable (that way you will know there's no data still being written to the card) and try again.

Regards

________________
Jorge A Gallegos
-kad-

Vincenzo Iaciofano

May 8, 2009, 11:11:30 AM5/8/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to you all for your help
have completed and am not sure which one worked
but
formated original sd card to fat32
used a windows machine to transfer files
while on the desktop i changed the file name to update.zip and moved across
found another thread where
Step 3b. Open "My Documents"
Step 4. Click "Tools -> Folder Options -> View"
Step 5. Remove the check from the setting "Hide Extensions for known file types.

as per original instructions i was able to carry out alt + L etc and firmware is
updated to 1.5

Vincenzo Iaciofano

May 8, 2009, 11:18:02 AM5/8/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Jorge
that could have been one of the issues as when i unmounted the sd card from the windows machine i noticed in the corner it was still writing info to the card.
i took out the sd card and placed it in a sd adaptor
finally i am there
thanks
and thanks to the other updates/ info that i have used

surajit

May 8, 2009, 3:13:38 PM5/8/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Worked great for me!! (updated from 1.1, on Mac Os X 10.5)
Thanks
Surajit

Emat

May 11, 2009, 2:56:43 AM5/11/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Have you tried to root your device ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=442480

Ryan Sinn

May 11, 2009, 9:24:45 PM5/11/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I had no problem updating following the instructions on the HTC site