Cannot Get Root Access in Android Dev Phone 2 !!!!

Banderas

Nov 23, 2009, 1:50:06 PM11/23/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hello,

I've just got my new ADP2 device but I can't get access to the root .
This device isn't suposed to provide root access out of the box?

If I try:

>adb root
I get:
>adbd cannot run as root in production builds

If I try .
>adb shell
>su

I get :
su: permission denied

Someone to help me ?

Cheers.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 23, 2009, 2:04:46 PM11/23/09
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. Following much feedback about that specific point (on this
list and others), ADP2/ION was configured with a user build (not
userdebug), which doesn't have root access.

JBQ
> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Banderas

Nov 24, 2009, 4:45:32 AM11/24/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Thanks for the answer,

So , what should I do ? I bought this device to google in order to
develop my java and c++ applications.
How can I enable this userdebug mode? Is it possible to have root
access?

Thanks.

On 23 Nov, 20:04, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Indeed. Following much feedback about that specific point (on this
> list and others), ADP2/ION was configured with a user build (not
> userdebug), which doesn't have root access.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Banderas <carlosbandeiri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I've just got my new ADP2 device but I can't get access to the root .
> > This device isn't suposed to provide root access out of the box?
>
> > If I try:
>
> >>adb root
> > I get:
> >>adbd cannot run as root in production builds
>
> > If I try .
> >>adb shell
> >>su
>
> > I get :
> > su: permission denied
>
> > Someone to help me ?
>
> > Cheers.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 24, 2009, 9:18:31 AM11/24/09
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
There are some community builds of Android that are designed to run on
ADP and that are configured with root access.

I'm not familiar with the details of debugging native code, but I'm
pretty sure that you don't need a userdebug build or root access to
debug code written in the Java programming language: it's designed to
be possible on consumer builds too.

JBQ
> To post to this group, send email to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com.

Banderas

Nov 24, 2009, 9:31:57 AM11/24/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Any idea where I can get access of this community builds?

I'm familiar with debugging native code , I've developed and debugged
my c++ using the android emulator and everything worked fine.
Now, that I finally decided to buy a dev. device, I cannot copy my
libraries and test applications. Its really annoying.
Another question, I developed my applications using android 2.0 , any
chance of switching the ADP2 from 1.6 to 2.0 ?

Many thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 24, 2009, 9:41:39 AM11/24/09
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
This is one of many such builds, there are others, I just happen to be
aware of this one: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

As for 2.0 on ADP, I can't comment on that subject.

JBQ
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Android-DevPhone-Updating?hl=en.

Banderas

Nov 24, 2009, 10:51:39 AM11/24/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Ok thanks.

Any idea of when ( weeks , months) we can have a fully working 2.0
release for ADP ?

I made a google search and from what I could understand, currently you
can have 2.0 on ADP except that you won't have access to the camera
resources. Can you confirm this situation?

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 24, 2009, 11:09:21 AM11/24/09
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
I can't predict for sure if/when there'll be a fully functional port
of the latest Android Open-Source Project on ADP. We're primarily
limited by the lack of eclair-compatible drivers for this hardware.

If you're willing to ignore that some of the hardware isn't working
(camera and video decoding for sure, maybe also sensors and GPS),
basic functionality of the AOSP master seems to work.

JBQ
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Android-DevPhone-Updating?hl=en.

Ryck

Nov 24, 2009, 11:48:55 AM11/24/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Does anyone know if the 2.0 build support WPA Enterprise wireless
access?

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 24, 2009, 11:53:34 AM11/24/09
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
It does on Droid, but that's grossly off-topic here.

JBQ

Ramon

Nov 25, 2009, 9:47:42 AM11/25/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
So is there any way to remount /system to be RW on the ADP2 with the
standard build? I'd like to install a Shared Library there...
That's the main reason for purchasing an ADP2 instead of simply going
to TMO for a MyTouch or G1...

Thanks,
R.

On Nov 24, 11:53 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> It does on Droid, but that's grossly off-topic here.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Ryck <rhei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the 2.0 build support WPA Enterprise wireless
> > access?
>
> > Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 25, 2009, 10:23:16 AM11/25/09
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
No, there's no way to do that on a consumer build (which is what ADP2 has).

If you have a library that needs to go in /system, by definition
you're building your own system, and you can flash it with fastboot.

JBQ
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Android-DevPhone-Updating?hl=en.

Ted Chien

Nov 26, 2009, 12:44:32 AM11/26/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
If you are a 3rd party software vendor to work with the hardware
manufacturer, there's a high possibility you cannot flash the system
on your own because you will need to keep the system as it is so you
can build your applications on it.

I would suggest to put your Java apk to /data/app and the native C++
library .so file to /data/lib to test your application.

Regards,
Ted

Banderas

Nov 27, 2009, 8:39:04 AM11/27/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
So...you are saying that the build from the head of AOSP ( the eclair
version ) should work in the ADP2 ?
Do you predict any kind of problems ? a part of the camera issues...
Should we follow the same steps that are described here
http://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dream ?
Can I find any guidance for building eclair to ADP2?

Thanks.

Dario Laverde

Nov 27, 2009, 9:57:30 AM11/27/09
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com

Hello Ramon,

Yes, those instructions work with master and with latest, accelerometer works again (plus you also get su out of the box).

Dario

On 24 Nov, 17:09, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote: > I can't predict for sure if/when ...

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Banderas <carlosbandeiri...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Ok thanks. > > ...

lbcoder

Dec 8, 2009, 3:30:31 PM12/8/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
From what I gather, the limitation on adp2 is just the "su" binary
command -- it still has the engineering BOOTLOADER which allows you to
flash or boot custom images.

THAT BEING THE CASE, you can actually *REPAIR* your system image
without having to go and overwrite the whole system... using fastboot.

Get yourself a compatible customized RECOVERY IMAGE (like this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=523558 )

Put the phone into fastboot mode, plugged into your computer with USB,
command is "fastboot boot recovery.img"

You can then go to a terminal and create YOUR OWN 'su' binary -- there
are more than one ways of doing this; the community su binary (which
works with a "root app" for security) is not too bad, but to make
things REAL SIMPLE, you can just copy the "sh" file to anywhere, then
chown root:root <newshfilename>; chmod 4755 <newshfilename> to create
an executable "newshfilename" that is basically a shell that gives you
root access. Don't name it "su" though since this is bad for security.
You could also make an su binary that is simply limited to being run
as root or shell users.