MEPA comment letter.

tamara...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2007, 11:40:23 PM9/6/07
to AllstonBrighton2006
Dear Secretary Bowles and Ms. Angus,

I am writing to you today to voice my opposition to granting the Phase
1 Waiver requested by Harvard University for their planned science
complex in North Allston.

The university claims that it qualifies for such a waiver, that the
science center project is severable, and that the present
infrastructure can support it. It is incredible to me that Harvard can
claim that what is essentially the anchor of a largely undisclosed
development plan for a new branch of a campus is somehow severable,
and also insist that its impacts will not be a crippling burden on the
surrounding area's infrastructure.

Harvard's LEED Gold Certification propaganda is a wonderful
distraction from the issues at hand that it hopes will be overlooked.
LEED is bought and is far from perfect, the highest standard being
Platinum.

But the hollow PR prestige of a LEED rating won't help such problems
as the traffic issues, the dust, noise and the rodents from
construction, our over-burdened roads, light pollution, noise
pollution, or the influx of construction workers, Harvard employees
and students who are parking in North Allston in increasing numbers.

Harvard has full-time professionals and many many months dedicated to
producing the volumes of material that it has given to residents to
review who are giving their time and energy after long work-days what
seems an intentionally short period of time while rejecting requests
for extensions.

A full review of the Allston plan and a full environmental review of
the impacts of the science center must be allowed to take place before
they can be allowed to proceed.

Again, please do not grant Harvard a Phase 1 Waiver!!

Respectfully Submitted,

Tamara Bonn