Varigated & Albino Seedlings

David Clulow

Jan 31, 2006, 5:21:23 AM1/31/06
to ADE...@yahoogroups.com, Ade...@googlegroups.com
Cheryl & Roger, et al

In my experience there are 3 types of variegated and albino seedlings:

1 Seedlings with variegated leaves, these will survive on their own
roots but are usually very slow growing and if you want to keep them
it is best to graft them onto young rootstocks. Micro-grafting is
rather exacting and if you are dubious about it, then you can wait
until the seedlings are big enough to graft in the ordinary way
(photo 5295)

2 Seedlings with yellow cotyledons with little or no green in them.
These will almost certainly die. The only way of saving them is to
micro-graft them onto a small branch of an adult plant. This will
feed the baby until it leafs out, then it will sometimes produce some
green in its leaves. Photo 7219 clearly shows a seedling each of
white and yellow cotyledons, Photo 5895 shows the micro-graft when
just performed. 4990 the graft at 3 months, note the pale green
leaves. 5199 graft at 6 months. 9313 graft at one year old.

3 Seedlings with white cotyledons with no pigment at all. The stems
are deep pink and I think this is sunburn. These seedlings will
definitely die. Again the only way of saving them is to micro-graft
them, again onto a small branch of an adult plant and they are very
delicate and difficult to graft, (photo 7162) if you do get a
successful graft it must be kept in partial shade or the leaves will
burn. Photo 7261 the graft at 6 months. 9308 the graft at one year,
note some burning and the white leaves and inexplicably some of the
leaves are turning green. Can anyone explain how this can happen?

You have been sent 9 pictures.

DSCN5295.JPG
DSCN7219.JPG
DSCN5895.JPG
DSCN4990.JPG
DSCN5199.JPG
DSCN9313.JPG
DSCN7162.JPG
DSCN7261.JPG
DSCN9308.JPG

DSCN5295.JPG
DSCN7219.JPG
DSCN5895.JPG
DSCN4990.JPG
DSCN5199.JPG
DSCN9313.JPG
DSCN7162.JPG
DSCN7261.JPG
DSCN9308.JPG

pedro

Feb 13, 2006, 5:42:43 AM2/13/06
to Adenium
hello! I am French, to excuse my English, I have also an albino sowing
of adenium, and I must graft it, on this subject have more information?
how to make for the photograph? thank you in advance

pedro

Feb 13, 2006, 5:43:06 AM2/13/06
to Adenium