The list of banned sites.

drpa...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2006, 12:12:13 PM3/5/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
This is from the comments sections of
http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/010491.php.

I think that I know which 12 websites were targeted specifically, and I
think my website, plusultrablog.com was one of them. You see, we were
among a list of exactly twelve websites who were announced as open
targets on a series of Islamic hacker forums, where the readers were
encouraged to try to hack our websites in any way possible, because we
were guilty of encouraging people to create new Mohammed cartoons, and
guilty of publishing new Mohammed cartoons. This is exactly the
specific charge leveled against the twelve websites blocked by the
Pakistani government. The twelve websites' names are:

* DrawMohammad.com
* The Nordish Portal
* Draw Mohammed Week
* Mohammed drawings
* Free Spech?
* Plus + Ultra (plusultrablog.com)
* Jesus and Mo
* Mohammed Image Archive
* Dumb Religion
* Danish Cartoons Nearly Start WWIII - A flash animation of the story
* Wear the MohammedBomb
* Drawchrist.com

Further details of my arguement, as well as links to these websites,
can be found on my blog, here: http://dragonkeypress.com/blog/?p=965

Now compared to the list in the PTA letter instructing the ban
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/interactivity/blog/story/2006/03/060303_reba_blogspot.shtml)
the list given above seems to be correct.

The website drawmuhammadweek.blogspot.com is the source of all hassle.
The PTA ordered this website to be blocked, and the moronic people in
charge shut down all of blogspot. I don't care one way or the other if
a blasphemous site is blocked. What I'm mad about is how technically
incompetent the people in charge must be who did this must be. The
government doesn't know a thing about blogs. They probably had no idea
what the hell they were doing when they blocked blogspot.com.

They blocked the whole blogspot.com domain because of one site. Can you
believe the level of stupidity that is required to create this mess? It
just goes to show how desperate the government must be capitalize on
the cartoons issue.

Pathetic...

Khair, if this is really the issue, perhaps we should write to the PTA
and explain the situation to them. Let them know that blogspot.com is
not one website but hosts millions of them, and they have blocked them
all from us. Perhaps they will realise they made a mistake and fix this
problem. Perhaps this was just a case of stunning incompetence, and not
mal-intent.

Angelo Embuldeniya

Mar 5, 2006, 12:51:40 PM3/5/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Can someone please confirm that the following ip is not blocked and
can be accessed (even if it's slow):

http://66.102.15.100/

If you are unable to acess the ip address or are shown a block page,
could you please email back the error page you get, which ISP you are
using and which city you're located in.

thank you,
Angelo.

Dr. Awab Alvi

Mar 5, 2006, 2:35:18 PM3/5/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Angelo - the IP address you gave is UNBLOCKED leads to the Blogger Start page - http://www.blogger.com/start - this is NOT blocked but blogspot continues to remain blocked -

Presently I am using CYBER.NET as my ISP from Karachi

Free Speech

KO

Mar 5, 2006, 3:16:04 PM3/5/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
>I don't care one way or the other if a blasphemous site is blocked.

And who gets to decide? I think the real issue here is not just that
your personal blogspot site got blocked, or those which you read - but
the fact that our govt. deems fit to block millions of websites.

Whether they be porn, or have cartoons or have bad stories of
Musharraf, censorship is plain wrong. It is not OK to restore access
to 'most of blogspot' and just block 'a few sites'.

It is certainly not technical incompetence - the govt. has been
blocking certain blogspot sites for a few months now. So there is more
to this story then just plain incompetence.

regards,
ko

drpa...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2006, 3:22:31 PM3/5/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
Well, KO I hope that's not true. It seems as if they just inadvertantly
blocked all of blogspot in trying to block a single blog on it. If what
you say is true, we really have a big fight on our hands.

I agree with you. Censorship of all sorts is wrong. Just plain wrong.
But in the current climate, it will be impossible to convince the GoP
to allow people access to the cartoon sites. If indeed, as you say,
they have been silently blocking politically inclined sites these last
few months, then there is something bigger going on here and we'll have
a long hard road stretched out before us.

But as I said, I hope this is not the case. I hope this is nothing but
a benign mistake borne of incompetence.

Dr. Awab Alvi

Mar 5, 2006, 3:30:51 PM3/5/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
I perfeectly agree with KO - the issue we have at hand is basically not only to protest about blogspot but to contest the govt and prove to them that monitoring and blocking will NOT achieve anything.

DrPak - I think we all agree that the comics for us is a not the main issue - but on the other hand someone needs to conk sense into the GOP - what will they achieve with blocking - will it quiten the MMA? if it were that simple---- what is the motivation behind the blockage when Jyllander Posten still is unblocked

For the record Shaheen Shebai came under the hammer for a few months and people still went there in large numbers.  I am a prime example - after the govt blocked the site I made it a point to read each and every article published - while perviously I barely visited the site in 2 weeks after the blockage it was my daily habitat.

Enlightened Moderation - was not simply a fancy name - but now would you not agree it makes even more sense with all the moderation our guru dictator has up his sleeve

Peace

KO

Mar 5, 2006, 3:33:43 PM3/5/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Two indian weblogs which I had been reading on and off have been
blocked for a few months now. I even had email conversations with my
ISP about it... as only a few specific blogspot sites were banned. I
am not sure about others.

In this particular case, I think it could certainly be a case of
incompetence at work.

However, there are a few extermely ant-musharraf and very pro
baluchistan seperatism blogs on blogspot, which if seen by those in
power would cause them to pull the plug on blogspot. So coupled with
the cartoons, it could give them cause to pull the plug on blogspot.
After all, block one blogspot blog - and the auther can just start ten
new ones. There really is no way around it.

Perhaps one of the many'agreements Musharraf signed in China just now
includes extending the great firewall of china down the Karakorum. We
already use cisco routers similar to the ones China has - it's just a
simple matter of implementing the right software.

> But as I said, I hope this is not the case. I hope this is nothing but
> a benign mistake borne of incompetence.

You are missing the bigger picture here. A govt. which can block
millions of websites due to a benign mistake is not one to be
supported. Enlightened moderation my ass.

regards,
ko

drpa...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2006, 3:35:29 PM3/5/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
Again I do agree that censorship is wrong. However are you sure that
the blocking of blogspot was not an error? Maybe I'm out of touch
here... is the GoP regularly blocking sites these days? How long has
this been going on? How many sites? Of what nature? Is the blogspot ban
an honest mistake, or just another victim of a well-established
practice? Please fill me in,.

KO

Mar 5, 2006, 3:47:38 PM3/5/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
For many years now, the GOP has been blocking many, many pornographic
websites. The exact number is unknown to me, but there are possibly
millions.

Besides that, it has blocked various news sites on occasion.

The SATribune was blocked for 2 years, (then the website finally closed down).

Right now it is trying to block cartoons. Wikipedia also carries the
cartoons, so one must assume it is also in line to be banned. There
are many other sites.

A few proxy services are also blocked right now.

The blocklist is changing with time - which means the authorities
aren't sleeping on the job, and are aware of what they're doing.

I will write more later, have to be off right now,

ko

mansoor

Mar 6, 2006, 7:05:33 AM3/6/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
oh man !!! all this going on right under our noses...

i used to get site not found, or timeouts on certain sites, but never
imagined it to be so sinister in nature...

We do have a big fight ahead !