New 5O5 builder in Bengla Desh ?

jbd

Nov 16, 2007, 9:29:36 AM11/16/07
to 505-global
I have been in contact with Jens building fiveoh in BenglaDesh.
I copy you the mails we echanged and posted the photos here :
http://picasaweb.google.com/jbdupont/Bengla_5O5
Have a look it's great views of a fiveoh we hardly see.

Feel free to add your points if you feel so.
Best regards,
Jean-Baptiste DUPONT
International Vice President

**********************

Dear Mr. Dupont,
Firstly, your website is a fantastic collection of resources, and I
have learnt much from it.

We are building a 505 in Bangladesh using your designs and offsets
provided. We cut the stations using a computer controlled router, to
get station lines exactly as in "sections.ai". We are now measuing the
"plug" for the female mold, to conform to the Class rules.

Our project is non-commercial, but since don't have any good core
material available here, we have to use a solid fiber layup, in a
female mold. So, given all the work involved, we might as well make it
legal.

Is it correct that measurements are taken at station 3, 6 and 9? Do
you have a detailed Class protocol for measuring the 505, with mention
of method?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Kind regards
Jens Stanislawski

*************************
Bonjour Mr. Dupont and Mr Alain,
Thanks for your earlier correspondence. We very much appreciate the
encouragement, as we labor in the steadily growing heat and humidity
in Bangladesh. Having fun too, of course.

The Caribbean race sounds like a sailors dream...

I am attaching some photos of the construction of the plug, as well as
some images of 3-d modeling (gunwale not yet properly defined).

Our method:
I began by creating a 3d model, using the offsets and 2d drawings
provided as background images in a modeling program called FreeShip
(img1); to better understand the design, and to simulate some fairing
techniques (the centre-board and rudder are not also scaled properly,
please disregard).

I recruited an old friend and construction enthusiast, Iqbal (Samy)
Hussain, as partner in the project. He runs a production / design
workshop in Dhaka city, and has excellent facilities including a large
pc-controlled router, staff such as a 3-d designers and wood /
plastics craftsmen. We are building the plug on the terrace of his
workshop, on our spare time.

The stations were the cut from particleboards with a pc-router. Then
thin plywood planks were placed as battens, followed by PVC battens on-
top (img2, img6). The plywood here is low quality and breaks easily,
so we combine with PVC strip-planks. The PVC also enables us to see
unfair surfaces with more ease.

Fairing problems
We noticed that the design provided on the website (secions.ai) has
unfair lines (stations 5, 6, 7). In the vector-converted design, the
higher part of station 6 appear "flat"- both in our simulation (img3)
on Freeship, and in our full scale plug. We first solved it by raising
stations 9 and 6 (img6) using with a thin PVC strip, but soon realized
it was a illegal - as we measured 3, 6 and 9 with measurement
templates, as the measurer would do.

Both the 3-d model and plug were cut / drawn from the same line
drawings (sections.ai) and we were confused, because I have read much
on the 505, including building discussions etc, and I have seen no
mention of it.

So we began to cross-check our measurements. We then used the plotter
to print sections.ai again, on tracing-paper for comparison, again.
Both our trials suggest that we have cut the stations exactly as per
design of line drawings found in sections.ai

Solution
We have modified station 5 and 7 and partly reduced the outline of
station - around the most acute angle of the curve (img4) by approx 15
mm, to make the adjustments simulated on the 3-d model.

We have now removed all the battens, and have begun a process of pre-
fairing the crucial lines, starting with the diagonal (img7), then
buttocks, then waterline and so on.

Also, we have realized that the gunwale needs to be extended
significantly, because part of it was accidentally removed in the
reduction of the stations (at design level) adjusting for battens and
plug material.

Question:
Is the adjustment at station 5 and 7 something you have come across in
discussion elsewhere? I read that some builders have flattened 505
curves slightly, towards aft and stem...

Plan:
When pre-fairing is complete and gunwale defined, we will use mat and
some developable resin/filler mix to create the plug.

The actual mold and hull will be laminated at a small marine
production outfit, outside of Dhaka city (img5). Even so, I am in need
of general advice on 505 construction technique (reinforcement
technique on core-less hulls). We are low-tech here, and will use a
traditional polyester wet lay-up.

I travel to Singapore regularly, and so purchased Korean biaxial
stitched mat (e-glass 1250 g), which is a combo-layer of mat and
unidirectional stitched roving. Whether 3 or more of these double-plys
should be used is still undecided. I would rather build this one a bit
heavy, but strong (and cheap). If the mold is good, we can build a
second one with core.

I have sourced good reinforcement material - Japanese Kevlar, also
from Singapore. I will try to use it, if the traditional lay-up method
permits. We also bought Epoxy resin (west system) for reinforcement
parts and joints.

I would appreciate if you could forward this letter to anyone who may
be willing to advise us. Do you know of any people who are building
the boat from scratch?

Regards from Dhaka, Bangladesh
Jens Stanislawski,

Ph.D. Candidate, Economics, Univ. of Bath., UK
************************************
Dear Mr. Alain and Mr. Dupont,
Thanks for your mail.

Since my last mail, we have faired our lines / stations, according to
the diagonal, lwl, and buttox, then added the gunwale. Now all our
battons are on again, reflecting the diagonal, and it's looking more
organised. Starting to look like a 505. See photos attached.

Once microballon / resin mix is applied, and faired, we will send the
mold off to a shipyard for lamination and construction.

At this point we are looking for advice on how to build a classic-type
505 - one that has no core material. Can we use someone elses design
to increase stiffnes?

I havent found this info on the website...
Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jens Stanislawski

BUJEAUD ALAIN <alain....@wanadoo.fr> skrev:

Good morning Jens,

There is 5 templates to check the hull : stem, transom, and
stations 3, 6
and 9. They are cut 7.5 mm overside of the theoretical shape,
except the
transom template : 3.75 mm.
The measurer should apply and fill a Measurement Form supplied by
the
International Association.
I start to day to Carribian for a race and I come back the 20th.
Then I will
be available to answer your question.

Best regard and congratulations for your project.

Alain