consensus recommendation for Mac pdf/text tagging/filing software

John SJ Anderson

Nov 5, 2010, 4:13:37 PM11/5/10
to 43 Folders
Hey --

What's the current consensus opinion on the best non-cloud-based
PDF/text snippet management software for Macs? Basically I want
Evernote but without the cloud storage/sync layer -- just local
storage. Doesn't need to do the OCR thing; does need to support
tagging of documents.

I'm scanning meeting notes and various other things for $WORK with a
ScanSnap and I'd like to be able to throw them in a big tagged pile
and pull things back out later -- but due to the nature of what $WORK
entails, I'm a bit leary about storing them with Evernote (more for
perceptual issues than any feeling there's actual risk with doing that
-- i.e., it's not worthwhile making a technical argument about how
safe Evernote is, as that's not the actual issue).

Thanks for any pointers.

chrs,
john.

Tom Doubting

Nov 6, 2010, 8:11:14 AM11/6/10
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
What's about Yojimbo. It's also a little bit snappier than Evernote.

Yours,
Tom

> --
> .

sch...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2010, 3:05:21 PM11/6/10
to 43 Folders
EagleFiler is excellent and support and development is great.

http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/

historydoll

Nov 6, 2010, 6:55:15 PM11/6/10
to 43 Folders
Check out DevonThink, which sounds like just what you want.

Dr Mary Ann

Nov 6, 2010, 9:06:50 PM11/6/10
to 43 Folders
Evernote has a local only option where you can keep everything on your
local machine without syncing it to other devices. You still get
almost all the goodies Evernote offers: notebooks, tagging, searching
for text, etc.

Mary Ann

Keith Lockhart

Nov 5, 2010, 4:45:43 PM11/5/10
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
John,

Better have a look at Devonthink Pro Business.  You can meld it with your scansnap.  Companion browser is DevonAgent.  You can find both at www.devon-technologies.com.  Essentially it is a database for rtfd.  You can capture any web page with a few clicks, there is an extension for Safari if you don't go for the browser.  It handles pdf and doc files, also html and rss.  Does OCR.  (If you don't want to go there you can look at plain Devonthink)  DevonAgent is an excellent search engine.

Also suggest you have a look at Filejuicer http://echoone.com/filejuicer/ (or macupdate where it rate 5 stars).  This is a great extractor utility..  I may look at Evernote again - but I really like Dropbox - it's worth the free subscription and works with my iPad - PC and Mac.  If you would like to join for free let me know - I can pad my account with referrals.

I own all of these - if you have more questions please ask.

Regards,
Keith

Keith Lockhart BSc(Hons) CCSC
440 Dorland Road
Oakville ON L6J 6B1

905.845.4181
✆  905.599.4181

Keith.A....@gmail.com

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/keithalockhart

John SJ Anderson

Nov 15, 2010, 1:36:24 PM11/15/10
to 43 Folders
> What's the current consensus opinion on the best non-cloud-based
> PDF/text snippet management software for Macs?

Based on an off-list recommendation from a friend, I'm trying [Yep][1]
- so far, I quite like it.

[1]: http://www.yepthat.com/

thanks for all the suggestions.

j.