Slow entourage in project center?

Ethan Kaplan

Feb 17, 2005, 5:44:52 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Merlin and anyone else,

I was intrigued by your use of Entourage so I decided to give it another shot at managing my life, as I’ve found the Wiki a bit not good for managing tasks. Its good for knowledge, not good for tasks.

However, Entourage is REALLY sluggish, especially in project center. It takes 10 seconds to switch panes when viewing one of my projects. Does this happen to anyone else?

Ethan

Ethan Kaplan

Feb 17, 2005, 5:59:12 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind. It was because I had a watch folder setup that was rather large. Kind of silly that that would cause such a slowdown.

I’ll report back on my Entourage success :)

Jeffrey Long

Feb 17, 2005, 6:05:40 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
memory memory memory. i just ordered 512meg for my ibook because i get
this kind of behavior now and then.
http://www.jeffreyclong.com

Ethan Kaplan

Feb 17, 2005, 6:08:01 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I've got four gigs in this machine (dual 2.5ghz G5) so its not memory :) Its
just bad coding on M$'s part. So far though its working well, minus that
problem.

EThan

Jeffrey Long

Feb 17, 2005, 6:15:38 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
<jealousy> I had a dual 2ghz G5 with at least a gig of memory in it at
my previous job. i miss it.
http://www.jeffreyclong.com

Kyle DeMilo

Feb 17, 2005, 6:47:38 PM2/17/05
to 43 Folders
There is about a 3 or 4 second delay when switching panes or projects. I am using a 800 MHz eMac with 512 MB of RAM.

//k

Ethan Kaplan

Feb 17, 2005, 7:46:14 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I’m also noticing that Entourage is not that great with IMAP. It gets folders confused and such, and sometimes doesn’t run rules properly.

Well, I’ll keep plugging away, see if I can get things working better.

EThan

Kyle DeMilo

Feb 17, 2005, 8:28:16 PM2/17/05
to 43 Folders
Really? I haven't had a lick of trouble with IMAP on this end. Now, Mail.app and IMAP? That's a beehive's worth of trouble there!

I just realized I've been using Entourage since 2000 — scary stuff!

//k

From: Ethan Kaplan <etha...@Murmurs.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:46:14 -0800
To: <43Fo...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [43F Group] Re: Slow entourage in project center?

Merlin Mann

Feb 17, 2005, 10:07:26 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
It's *terrible* with IMAP in my experience. Usually requiring a manual
refresh, per directory to show the up to date version.

Weird as it sounds, I do all the heavy lifting of email in Mail.app and
just use Entourage to "glue" everything together. With IMAP, you have
nothing to lose as far as I can tell. It's kind of clumsy to work in
two programs, but it works ok for me.

FWIW, this is yet another reason to use as few folders as
possible--since you often need to manually update in Entourage, it's
nice to have fewer folders to hit.

Kyle DeMilo

Feb 17, 2005, 10:21:31 PM2/17/05
to 43 Folders
My copy of Entourage seems to be doing better with IMAP since 11.1 came out.
I only have to manually refresh once in a blue moon.

That being said, I keep only the "standard" folders on my server: In, Sent,
Junk, Drafts, Deleted. Then again, I only keep that mail on the server for a
little while before it gets archived locally (where it's easier for me to
search).

//k

> From: Merlin Mann <merli...@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:07:26 -0000
> To: <43Fo...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: [43F Group] Re: Slow entourage in project center?

Ethan Kaplan

Feb 17, 2005, 10:23:07 PM2/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
So you do all your mail in mail and manually resync in Entourage or just
don't use any mail in Entourage?

Entourage actually has killed my IMAP server this evening! But I do like
Project Center. I would miss having e-mail in there.

Merlin Mann

Feb 18, 2005, 1:22:12 AM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I use the email in Entourage but only as much as I need to to keep
everything glued together. IMAP keeps everything in sync, so I use them
both depending on what I need to do.

I'll write this up some day, but a big part of what I do, as I hinted
in the email post the other day, is to "gang" activity wherever I can.
So I _process_ my Inbox in Mail.app, shunting everything into one of
these:

* /action
* /respond
* /waiting
* /hold
* /archive

Back in Entourage, I generate attached tasks for all the "action"
emails and then Archive the originating emails immediately. All the
response-only emails I generally handle back in Mail.app, five at a
time throughout the day, whenever I have a few minutes.

Like I say, it's only elegant to me, probably, but it works for what I
need.

I told a friend today that you have to remember you're in the business
of making sandwiches--_not_ deciding the prettiest way to stack the
customer's orders.

Ethan Kaplan

Feb 18, 2005, 1:45:21 AM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting method. The reason I'm investigating Entourage again is
suddenly my plate got a lot busier, so I need to manage a lot more
projects than I had a week ago.

I'd love to see a screenshot of how you organize your mail Merlin. I've
done so many organizational schemes since I started with e-mail, and I
have yet to figure out one that works well.

Ethan

DH

Feb 18, 2005, 8:58:25 AM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I encourage people to try out the newest, much improved version of
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) for email.
Like the fabulous Firefox browser, Thunderbird is a Mozilla app, and is
very much in the same vein as Firefox. I haven't used it for IMAP, only
for POP, so I can't compare its performance to other apps in that
regard. But it's terrific for POP. If you tried earlier versions and
concluded, as I did, that they were "not ready for prime time," give
this one a whirl; it's a huge improvement.

I switched from Eudora to Entourage X when Office X came out and I used
it until Entourage 2004 was released. I never was able to quite
articulate what I didn't like about it, but there was always something
dissatisfying for me about Entourage X. One serious pain in the ass was
that it was impossible to scroll HTML messages from the keyboard on a
PowerBook; you had to click on the scrollbar, which always drove me
nuts. That annoyance seemed to be fixed in Entourage 2004, but it was
replaced by an even bigger one: its junk mail filter had a great many
more false positives, the worst of which was that it treated all mail
from my office's domain as junk. That actually drove me to go back to
Entourage X. So I was happy to find that Thunderbird is now good enough
to replace Entourage X.

djh

Feb 18, 2005, 9:09:46 AM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com

--- DH <mois...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I encourage people to try out the newest, much improved version of
> Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) for email.

I'll second that. I'm an XP user and I moved from Outlook to Thunderbird.

Thunderbird is light and fast and I've found the spam filter to be as
efficient as paid-for filters. It's got all of the email functionality from
Outlook that I need plus it has a built-in RSS reader which I used to replace
Feeddemon.

Thunderbird does Usenet as well.

It doesn't have any PIM functionality, but there is another product coming
from the Firefox/Thunderbird stable called Sunbird that does:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/screenshot.html

Regards.

=====
djh

Merlin Mann

Feb 18, 2005, 9:14:30 AM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Thunderbird also features a _terrific_ feature that I wish were part of
every email app: multiple, user-definable, semantic flags.

Having just one kind of flag with a digital option drives me nuts. And
widgets that just change the background color of the message in list
view are useless for search and filtering purposes.

I really do wish these kinds of flags were a built-in feature of IMAP.

Jeffrey C. Long

Feb 18, 2005, 11:16:14 AM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
would you mind sharing some of the things that make thunderbird a
better email client then mail.app

mail.app has the nasty habit of not being able to scroll html. that
feature alone could make me jump to thunderbird. i already use firefox
instead of safari.

however, devonthink has provided a script that imports mail from
mail.app into devonthink, so I would really need this function in
thunderbird before i used it.

btw... devon-technologies is at some point going to have a mail program
that will either be a part of devonthink pro, or a separate program.
i'd love to have mail and devon all under one roof.
http://www.jeffreyclong.com

Michael Gmail

Feb 18, 2005, 11:57:37 AM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 18, 2005, at 10:16 AM, Jeffrey C. Long wrote:

> btw... devon-technologies is at some point going to have a mail
> program that will either be a part of devonthink pro, or a separate
> program. i'd love to have mail and devon all under one roof.

Ooh, now that sounds interesting. But I'm going to wait and give Tiger
Mail a chance before switching mail apps again.

Michael

--
<http://globalocal.blogspot.com/>

As they say in the Brazilian state of Sergipe, no punishment is harsh
enough for those who believe in the monkeys.

Jeffrey C.Long

Feb 18, 2005, 12:08:01 PM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I just downloaded and set up thunderbird. It's not as pretty as
mail.app. My eyes don't like the way the fonts look in the list of
emails.

Also, it requires two-three hits on the tab key to be able to scroll
emails with the arrow keys. Only one hit on the tab key in mail.app

Tiger mail looks good. I just hope they fix the problem that doesn't
let you scroll HTML messages with the arrow keys.
http://www.jeffreyclong.com

tttopaz

Feb 18, 2005, 1:59:04 PM2/18/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Sunbird became available for download on 2/5. Has anyone
tried it?

djh wrote:

>It doesn't have any PIM functionality, but there is another product coming
>from the Firefox/Thunderbird stable called Sunbird that does:
>
>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/screenshot.html
>
>Regards.
>
>=====
>djh

Omar Shahine

Feb 20, 2005, 12:51:19 AM2/20/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Merlin, what IMAP server are you connecting to?

ethankap

Feb 20, 2005, 1:47:28 AM2/20/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I'm using MDaemon7 and its pretty terrible.