Time magazine on sharpening the mind.

beelers

Jan 13, 2006, 7:53:27 AM1/13/06
to 43 Folders
I just sent this in to Lifehacker.com, but wanted to mention here as
well. The January 16, 2006 edition of Time magazine has an extensive
Mind & Body section titled "How to tune up your brain." Included in the
section are articles on regaining focus (see link), graphics on how
morning and night people can best use their time, the benefits of a
good night's sleep vs. staying up late to be more productive, an
article titled "The Surprising Power of the aging brain" and another
titled "The hidden secrets of the creative mind.

Also included are articles on meditation and "Measuring IQ points by
the cupful" about the positive effects of caffeine

There is even more than I mentioned here in the 47-page special
section. More than worth checking out for all you Lifehackers out
there. For a taste of the section, follow the link.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1147199,00.html

engr

Jan 14, 2006, 11:55:04 PM1/14/06
to 43 Folders
I looked at the Time article from your link. It is good they are
highlighting the problem. The article raises questions but provides
little in the way of answers - except more technology.

I think we use <5% of our brain - but have not grownup enough to use
more.

beelers

Jan 15, 2006, 5:53:28 AM1/15/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Well, there is a lot more to the section. It's not going to provide
all the answers but it does hand out a few more solutions.

Evan Edwards

Jan 15, 2006, 12:50:18 PM1/15/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

http://www.google.com/search?q=percent+brain+myth

--
Evan "JabberWokky" Edwards
http://www.cheshirehall.org/

stevecooper

Jan 16, 2006, 4:41:02 AM1/16/06
to 43 Folders
A neuroscience lecturer I listened to once asked, "which 90% of your
brain do you mind us cutting out?" Me, I'm happy to keep what I've got.

The 10% thing was apparently also heavily popularised by the self-help
movement waaaay back in the 19th century, because it suggested to
people that they have a lot of potential for the future, that everyone
has the brain of a genius which is, somehow, not yet tapped. It's a
form of 'golden future' promise. It resonates nicely with the American
myth of working yourself up by the sweat of your brow to become
lengendarily successful. You work hard, unlock your potential, and
achieve something outstanding.

Me, I don't buy it. I think if you want to improve, you need to retrain
what you've got. If you want to improve your mind, read lots of really
hard books, talk to people who are really good at what they do, think
hard, offer your ideas up for criticism, and you'll improve - slowly.
It's not much different from physical training. Stress your muscles to
the point of damage, over and over again, and over the course of years
you'll develop an exceptional body. Same with the brain. It's slow and
hard work.

I think one thing that the 10% myth suggests, actually, is that we
somehow have capacity for so much more if we'd only grasp it. This is,
I think, actually damaging to most people, because many people try to
take on more and more things. There's a kind of faith that the brain
can keep up, but it really can't - people get burned out because that
extra capacity doesn't come on-line as expected.

I think, then, if we see ourselves as working near our actual capacity,
other evaluations become necessary. If you're at 95% of our capacity,
and you want to take on something new, you absolutely _must_ drop other
things. You need to sacrifice to advance. You can't take on new
projects without (a) doing everything slower, or (b) doing everything
worse.

Anyway, I'll shut it, now. ;)