FW: [43F Group] Re: GTD Outlook Macros

Morgan Young

Oct 20, 2005, 2:16:46 AM10/20/05
to 43Folders@googlegroups. Com
I have Outlook 2000, but I have to make sure the file thing is expanded all
the time. for some reason office makes the list shorter by taking away the
stuff I do not use very often (or at all) I do not like that very much.

Oct 20, 2005, 5:08:55 PM10/20/05
to 43 Folders
Yes, that's very annoying - it's impossible to teach your hand the
mouse movements required if the menu layouts keep changing.

Try Tools > Customize > Options > "Always show full menus".

Simon

Oct 20, 2005, 5:53:05 PM10/20/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
A simple Outlook hack I like I have described elsewhere is to edit the
subject line:

"Ever get sent an e-mail with a blank or unintelligible subject line?
Maybe you get CCed on a long ping pong e-mail that only reveals it's
relevance in the very last reply.

Well, sometimes you need to file these away suckers for reference and
this is where the trouble begins. What was top of your mind a week ago
may now be completely opaque. So, when you browse through your mail
folders, looking for that vital bit of information, it seems next to
impossible to recall what all those e-mail exchanges were about? Where
is it?

Well there is an easy solution - change the subject line. Think of it
as personal tagging. It is very easy to do.

First, double click the e-mail (or hit enter) to open it in a separate
window. Then put your cursor on the subject line and start typing.
That's it. You can add your own reference - date, project number,
whatever - or change the subject line completely. Whatever is going to
be meaningful to you. Use as many words you like.

When you're done, Ctrl+S to save. "

Jeff Kenton

Oct 20, 2005, 7:03:13 PM10/20/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
This is a real mindblower. Really.

I have been under the impression for so long that anything outside a textbox is not going to accept input.

Paradigms: Shifting....

Jeff
--
A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs.
-- Mark Twain

parag

Oct 29, 2005, 8:26:37 AM10/29/05
to 43 Folders
Editting Subject Line... this is amazing.

Playing around I can see that you can add to or edit the body text as
well. Right Click on the email body and select EDIT MESSAGE. Again
Ctrl+S will save your changes. Great to add notes to an email!

Sam Williams

Oct 29, 2005, 10:08:54 AM10/29/05
to 43 Folders
On the personal tagging theme: you can also add a custom reminder to
each email. This is where I store my next action decisions for email,
such as:

Respond (carefully)
Call Becky to discuss
Check facts with Steve
Brainstorm this

Once entered, the reminders are visible in a grey band at the top of
the email, whether viewed in the Reading Pane or opened fully. You can
also add timed alerts to the reminders.

To do it, right-click on the flag next to each email and select "Add
Reminder...".