Excel for GTD

Tom R

Feb 2, 2006, 12:42:48 PM2/2/06
to 43 Folders
For those of you that keep lists of stuff in Excel (Windows only), you
may be interested in checking out my Excel report generator. (I don't
really know what else to call it).

I use a single Excel File for my contact list, professional journal,
personal journal, next
action and waiting for lists, timesheet log, and project record. I'd
say that my system is a cross between one big text file, Evernote, and
Paper Tiger. You can create your own categories, or don't use any
categories at all. Highly structured or next to no structure. It
doesn't matter. Simply search for one or two keywords and create an
immediate ad hoc report.

It is very handy with large db lists and text. I use this system on a
usda food nutrient database (6,000 items long) and the complete King
James Bible (around 31,000 lines). For example I now know that there
are only two occurrences of the word "stinketh" in the entire text.

So If you would like to give it a try, let me know and I will e-mail a
copy of this file.
No charge, no strings attached just let me know what you think of it.

I am working on an Excel addin for this tool and I am looking for user
input to improve the system.

Tom

bignoseduglyguy

Feb 3, 2006, 1:58:37 AM2/3/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Tom

I'd be very interested to learn more about your one Excel file method
and trying your report generator.

bnug

--
bignoseduglyguy
http://www.bignoseduglyguy.com

taorist

Feb 3, 2006, 5:22:41 AM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
Yes! E-mail me a copy too!

Austin Mitchell

Feb 3, 2006, 5:26:00 AM2/3/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Please can you send me details please. I was using an Excel file for
GTD and I'd be interested in your approach.

Thanks,

Austin.

Cpu_Modern

Feb 3, 2006, 8:11:49 AM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
Hey Excellence,
you may be interested in this
Greets.

Ozan Ozkusaksiz

Feb 3, 2006, 8:15:00 AM2/3/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I want a copy too :)

Ozan

John O'Malley

Feb 3, 2006, 8:34:30 AM2/3/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Please send it to me.

John

jos...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2006, 10:06:00 AM2/3/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
me too

On 03/02/06, John O'Malley <thejohn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please send it to me.
>
> John

Daemonwolf

Feb 3, 2006, 11:05:34 AM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
I'd like a copy please. :)

moonlander

Feb 3, 2006, 1:54:42 PM2/3/06
to 43 Folders

moonlander

Feb 3, 2006, 1:56:12 PM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
Tom,
i'd appreciate a copy too

krgds
moonlander

Justin Lilly

Feb 3, 2006, 3:14:35 PM2/3/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Tom: if you're interested in a mirror for this file so you don't have to email it out to 100 people, contact me and I'll see what I can set up.

-justin

--
Justin Lilly
University of South Carolina

dang!

Feb 3, 2006, 5:39:26 PM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
me too

Norm

Feb 3, 2006, 6:09:46 PM2/3/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I don't want a full 30 minutes to pass without a request :)

me too!! please!!!

On 2/3/06, dang! <dangol...@gmail.com> wrote:

me too

eichorsmith

Feb 3, 2006, 7:24:36 PM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
I would like it too!

Leigh

Rita

Feb 3, 2006, 7:58:53 PM2/3/06
to 43 Folders

Rita

Feb 3, 2006, 7:59:40 PM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
Please send me a copy too.

Regards, Rita

engr

Feb 3, 2006, 8:59:39 PM2/3/06
to 43 Folders
Please send me a copy to.

Thanks
gh

llw...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2006, 12:25:17 AM2/4/06
to 43 Folders

Tom --

Please send me a copy also. Thanks...

Dale

GeeWhiz

Feb 4, 2006, 6:59:11 AM2/4/06
to 43 Folders
Yeah, I would also like a copy.

Thanks

rcr

Feb 4, 2006, 8:00:21 AM2/4/06
to 43 Folders
Tom,

I'd appreciate a copy. I've done something similar in Word, but prefer
Excel for lists.

Rob

Boiler_909

Feb 4, 2006, 8:25:57 AM2/4/06
to 43 Folders
Coul you send me a copy ?

Thanks

Morgan Parker

Feb 4, 2006, 6:57:53 PM2/4/06
to 43 Folders
May I have a copy too please?

Morgan.

timothy...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2006, 8:58:24 AM2/5/06
to 43 Folders
Tom:

I would be interested in using it. Please send me a copy. Thank-you.

drumdance

Feb 5, 2006, 11:42:52 AM2/5/06
to 43 Folders
This thread reminds me of Google's discovery of the first "me too"
post: Feburary 1983.

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

Justin Lilly

Feb 5, 2006, 11:08:32 PM2/5/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Anyone looking for a copy of the Excel worksheets that Tom has, I have put up a rudamentory mirror at:

http://www.justinlilly.com/excel/

feel free to grab it.
Message has been deleted

Justin Lilly

Feb 6, 2006, 7:50:13 AM2/6/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
oh... thanks from me too ;)

-justin

On 2/6/06, Morgan Parker <asrome...@gmail.com> wrote:

drumdance wrote:

> http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

Um, OT I know, but this was fascinating.  Thanks.

Morgan
http://mogblog.wordpress.com

TheOldGuy

Feb 6, 2006, 10:52:09 AM2/6/06
to 43 Folders

Tom R wrote:
> For those of you that keep lists of stuff in Excel (Windows only), you
> may be interested in checking out my Excel report generator. (I don't
> really know what else to call it).
>
> I use a single Excel File for my contact list, professional journal,
> personal journal, next
> action and waiting for lists, timesheet log, and project record. I'd
> say that my system is a cross between one big text file, Evernote, and
> Paper Tiger. You can create your own categories, or don't use any
> categories at all. Highly structured or next to no structure. It
> doesn't matter. Simply search for one or two keywords and create an
> immediate ad hoc report.
>
> It is very handy with large db lists and text. I use this system on a
> usda food nutrient database (6,000 items long) and the complete King
> James Bible (around 31,000 lines). For example I now know that there
> are only two occurrences of the word "stinketh" in the entire text.
>
> So If you would like to give it a try, let me know and I will e-mail a
> copy of this file.
> No charge, no strings attached just let me know what you think of it.
>
> I am working on an Excel addin for this tool and I am looking for user
> input to improve the system.
>

> Tom

Add me to the list of interested persons.

TheOldGuy

Feb 6, 2006, 10:58:55 AM2/6/06
to 43 Folders

Thanks for posting.

scrou...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2006, 12:40:44 PM2/6/06
to 43 Folders
please send me a copy as well
thanks

edward....@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2006, 5:13:11 AM2/7/06
to 43 Folders
Tom,

Is there somewhere I can download your spreadsheet? It's been
recommended via the David Allen forums?
Regards, Edward

airolg

Feb 7, 2006, 12:38:45 PM2/7/06
to 43 Folders
I want a copy, too, pretty please???

Thanks! <grin>

amaroo

Feb 8, 2006, 5:23:46 AM2/8/06
to 43 Folders
I downloaded the spreadsheet, thank Tom and thanks Justin. Now how do
you move the vb macros that Tom created from his spreadhseet to your
own? do i have to do some coding here (I have always wanted to teach
myself this)?

Dean

engr

Feb 8, 2006, 10:18:06 PM2/8/06
to 43 Folders
Thanks for the file. The VB macros are very handy. I have used
spreadsheets before but you have taken them to a new level - I'm very
impressed.
Thanks
Glenn

HT

Feb 9, 2006, 9:37:22 AM2/9/06
to 43 Folders
Tom,
I'd love to have a copy.
Halbert
halb...@gmail.com

Eugene Liedel

Feb 9, 2006, 1:49:48 PM2/9/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com

I-d like a copy please
--
lie...@gmail.com
deepthoughts.liedel.org

TheCoop

Feb 10, 2006, 1:05:22 PM2/10/06
to 43 Folders
Tom,
I'd love to give your Excel project a try. I'll be glad to give you my
feedback. Thanks.
Ed

Garrett Murphy

Feb 10, 2006, 1:24:27 PM2/10/06
to 43 Folders
I've downloaded the excel sheet and i think this is a great idea! But,
since my excel skills are pretty crap, could i ask folks what they have
on their tabs? Contacts, to-do, bookmarks, ......if anyone has a blank
one with just headings, i'll host it for them so more of us can d/load.

Regards,

Garrett

APPLE

Feb 16, 2006, 8:48:26 AM2/16/06
to 43 Folders
I love the idea of this for keeping random bits of information but how
do you get a new setup
so I can have my own data and my own searches?

Thanks

Chris Hughes

Tom R

Feb 16, 2006, 1:23:45 PM2/16/06
to 43 Folders
To download a copy of the file, go here:

http://www.justinlilly.com/excel/

and download both of these files:
Personal Information..> 05-Feb-2006 20:04 612k "The File"
and
Tom's screenshots.xls 05-Feb-2006 20:05 404k "Examples"

Then set up your columns and heading labels as you see fit and add your
data.

Special thanks to Justin for providing the mirror site.

I would love to hear your thoughts after you have taken a look at it.

Regards,

Tom

APPLE

Feb 18, 2006, 9:07:02 PM2/18/06
to 43 Folders
I am using it a lot as I am able to copy all of those little notes into
it with shortcut's etc and it stay's on my usb chip with me all the
time.

When you do a search the tabs seem to stay on the bottom. Is there a
way to get rid of them once you have found the data you want?

A really great template.

Chris Hughes

Tom R

Feb 18, 2006, 10:46:19 PM2/18/06
to 43 Folders

Chris,

When you run a "New Sheet Report" for, say "Next Actions" the tool will
create a new worksheet named "search results for_Next Actions".

To delete any worksheet, right click the tab and select Delete from the
menu. Just be sure not to delete your main data sheet!

Tom

Dave

Mar 3, 2006, 12:47:49 PM3/3/06
to 43 Folders