Building Maker Imagery Request

Nicole - Geo Community Advocate

Oct 29, 2010, 5:20:14 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Google Building Maker has imagery for over 100 cities, but the world is a very big place. We'd like to know what cities are important to you - where do you want to create 3D models of buildings?

With this tool you can submit your own requests and vote on other suggestions as well. Each city should only be submitted once, so you may have to check to make sure it has not already been requested.

Unfortunately, we *cannot* guarantee that any requested city will be added to Building Maker. There are no deadlines for submissions or voting at this time.

A little more explanation:
Collecting imagery for Building Maker is a long process - unfortunately it is much more involved than one would think, and not even Google can control the weather! :)

This is simply a place where we can collect requests and reference in the future (in case of the happy chance we get to choose some cities in addition to the cities that are already planned to be added).

Larger cities will likely be added before smaller ones, but definitely let us know why you think your city should be added to Building Maker!

Thanks, and happy modeling!

Nicole

THREEL

Oct 30, 2010, 2:46:47 AM10/30/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
This sounds very interesting, Nicole.  Is there a listing of the 100 cities that already have imagery suitable for Building Maker.  Also, is there a growing list of the requested cities.  If so, where may we find these lists as to not duplicate any of them in our request.  Thanks!

THREEL

matthiasbasler

Oct 31, 2010, 4:16:25 PM10/31/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicole and others,

it may seem off-topic, but your post again hit a weak point in this forum's implementation.
I get the digest version of this mailing list, and whenever I click on a thread I get directed to the "old" version of the forum, which doesn't display in-text links.
Tonight I again wondered if you had missed to insert the link into the post, but you had not. I could see the link when I explicitely requested the english version of the forum, which I have already in my bookmarks since I first discovered this discrepancy. Since in-text links are common nowadays the old forum interface becomes more or less unusable in this respect.

Cannot the digest mail re-direct to the new forum interface instead, that is to sub-pages of
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum?hl=en instead of
http://groups.google.com/group/3dwh/t/e80c5ed61e9b3022 ?

To the topic itself: This is cool idea.
Being a geographer I am well aware of the obstacles placed on getting good oblique imagery and I am thankful that there are already now several cities available for modelling in Germany. Lets hope this tool will help reduce the discrepancy between the North American and, f.e. the African/Asian coverage of available cities.

Nicole Drobeck

Oct 31, 2010, 5:02:37 PM10/31/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi THREEL,

Right now, the current list of cities can be seen in the drop-down menu on the right hand side within Building Maker. Zooming into the areas also shows you the imagery coverage area, which may be helpful in the cases where smaller towns or suburbs are outside a large city and may or may not be included.

The running list of cities requested so far is only within the Google Moderator tool. Unfortunately you have to "page through" all of the submissions to see if a city has already been requested, but hopefully soon we can have an actual list posted on a site.

Hi Matthias,

Currently http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum is only available in English right now, so any other language setting will redirect to groups.google.com. The team in charge of this effort is aware of this and I believe they are working on some changes. I'll try to find out more specifics and let you know!

Thanks to everyone who has submitted suggestions and votes so far! :)

Nicole

To participate in this discussion or adjust your membership options, visit http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum

--
Nicole Drobeck
Geo Community

Nicole Drobeck

Nov 4, 2010, 5:16:22 PM11/4/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi again THREEL,

I just remembered that we do have a list of cities currently available in Building Maker.

Hope this helps!

Nicole

THREEL

Nov 4, 2010, 7:34:39 PM11/4/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nicole!

shellc0de

Nov 5, 2010, 12:00:43 AM11/5/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Very cool, maybe they could take only 4 or 5 angles of each building instead of 6 angles, that way they could have enough detail for building maker and save enough time to add one more city for every 4 or 5 they do...

matthiasbasler

Nov 6, 2010, 5:11:56 AM11/6/10
to Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
On 5 Nov., 05:00, shellc0de <1337shellc0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool, maybe they could take only 4 or 5 angles of each building
> instead of 6 angles

Not a realistic idea imho.
First of all these professional multi-angle photo flights are
expensive and difficult to plan (take the weather into account), and
if you have finished such a flight you want to be SURE you have
suitable photos covering the whole area. This means you will rather
have a few more photos than actually needed in case some of them are
unsharp, overexposed or wrongly georeferenced rather than risking to
have gaps in the coverage.

Moreover you should keep in mind that, to my knowledge, such aerial
surveys are seldom made with just one goal (in this case Building
Maker) in mind. There are usually several stakeholders interested in
the results, so you'd try and get the maximum quality and usability
out of the data.

Matthias Basler

Pradeep Kumar

Nov 6, 2010, 6:37:55 AM11/6/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
stop to msg me

Geng Tram

Apr 28, 2013, 9:44:44 PM4/28/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Carleton University Ottawa!

KEITH LURIE

Apr 29, 2013, 12:11:12 AM4/29/13
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps on behalf of Geng Tram

How about some of the great cities of Africa, Dakar, Lagos, Freetown, Timbuktu, Harare, Abidjan, Monrovia, Nairobi, Cairo.

- via the 3D Warehouse site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum
- via Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/3dwh

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps" group.

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

CraigD - Google

May 6, 2013, 12:32:02 PM5/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks, we've announced the retirement of Google Building Maker in June, so we're no longer taking new Building Maker imagery requests.

In any case, thank you for your suggestions.

    - Craig
This conversation is locked