Advertising agencies using our models?

tomdel

Apr 1, 2009, 8:31:17 AM4/1/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse General
I recently noticed a large lightbox/billboard poster at an airport
that has used many 3d models that appear to be plucked straight from
the 3D Warehouse. I have noticed in this poster that 2 of these models
(actual buildings in the city where I live) are mine! Does an
advertising agency have the right to use these models created by us
without our consent? Surely there is an issue of copyright
infringement. This agency is making money out of our hard work and
creativity! Can anybody advise what action, if any, can be taken
against them?

Tom.

designsbyhuman

Apr 1, 2009, 1:08:12 PM4/1/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse General
That does stink, but the models are free to use. I think thats the
risk we take when we post our models. Thats why I dont post any,
because most of my jobs are private / confidential under contract with
the clients and I dont want them leaked. It would really be sad
though to see the warehouse turned into a pay per download or a
subscription, I think Sketchup would loose its success.

SnowTiger

Apr 1, 2009, 10:57:22 PM4/1/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse General

I think you have a legitimate concern and a right to inquire.

You may wish to speak (nicely at first) to the subject company's PR
department.

It is possible that the context in which an image of your model(s) is
used, is legal ... unless of course the IMAGE itself is your own
image and have clearly indicated copyright information.

Finally, depending where you reside .. there may be Free Legal Advice
Services available to you.
I recommend looking for Legal Services (i.e. Public) in the yellow or
blue pages of your phone book and highly recommend taking advantage of
any such services if available.

In any case, I would definitely seek legal advice either before and/or
after speaking to the company directly, if you have the chance.

PS> My business requires that I deal with Lawyers and Civil Suit
Defendants all the time. As such, I
The company may wish to "compensate" you .. to avoid bad PR and a
costly legal case. It's always cheaper when Lawyers are Not Involved.