Mechwarrior 3dfx

Christopher Kopcha

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

I have Mechwarrior 3dfx and tried to run it with my CL Voodoo2. It didn't
work so I tried the environment variables that were on 3dfx's site. The
game still doesnt work, but the document said that it has worked for some
people. Has anyone been able to get it working using a Voodoo2 card?

Ernest Purser, Jr.

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

"Christopher Kopcha" <cko...@snet.net> wrote:

I gave up. It just doesnt work and itried just about everything I have
heard of and some things I have thought of but it just doesnt work.

Ernie

Robert V. Parkinson

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Christopher Kopcha wrote:

> I have Mechwarrior 3dfx and tried to run it with my CL Voodoo2. It didn't
> work so I tried the environment variables that were on 3dfx's site. The
> game still doesnt work, but the document said that it has worked for some
> people. Has anyone been able to get it working using a Voodoo2 card?

The old version of Mechwarrior2 will only work with a fix(see the FAQ on the
Creative Labs Voodoo2 sight). Mercs works fine with the most recent patch
from Activision. The really good news if you are a Mech 2 fan is that they
are releasing a new updated box set with Mech 2, Ghost Bear, and Mercs. All
have been "enhance" to run on the newer cards.

Robert V. Parkinson

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98
 Sorry, I said go to the Creative FAQ, You need to go to the 3DFX FAQ below:

http://www.3dfx.com/products/v2supportguide.html

Here's The part for you specific question:

Class 5: "Old" Glide Apps
This class of application failure is due to the application making use of versions of Glide (other than glide2x.dll), versions of Glide that are statically linked Dos Glide titles, or making use of a Dos Glide DLL. All of the titles in this class of failures were built with versions of Glide 2.1 or lower. Voodoo2 does not support titles built with Glide versions 2.1 or lower. Some titles may, however, work with a unique combination of environment variables (listed elsewhere in the FAQ) called "Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2 transitional environment variables."

Battle Area Toshinden
EF2000 (works with the Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2 transitional environment variables)
Jetfighter 3
Mech Warrior 2 3Dfx (works with the Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2 transitional environment variables)
Scorced Planet
Starfighter 3000 (works with Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2 transitional environment variables)
VRSoccer '96
Whiplash
X-Car (works with Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2 transitional environment variables)

Here are the transitionary environmental variables:

Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2 transitional environment variables
Older Voodoo Graphics-specific games based on Glide versions 2.1 or below are not officially supported to be able run on Voodoo2. However, many of these games will run properly with the following environment variables set:

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2

Now, how to use the variables is anybody's guess.  I'm sure some of the Voodoo 2 gurus on this sight can help

Ingo Hill

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

Nope.. no luck at all.. I've tried both Stock and RC2 drivers on my CL 12MB.
No go.. it simply doesn't load the actual sim. The shell works fine (cause
it's not working on the 3D card). I hope it will be fixed, I love that ol'
game :)

Isamu

Jeff Martyn

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

Yes, I have the same problem. Mech2 is still an awesome game. Anyone have a
clue ?

Christopher Kopcha wrote in message
<01bd6261$5bfb7d80$121d3ccc@gateway-2000>...

Alan J. Orlaski

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

I had the same problem myself, but I got a workaround that works...
I went on the 3Dfx's FTP site and downloaded older glide drivers. It comes in
a self extracting EXE file, so all I did was start up WinZIP, dragged the EXE
in the Winzip window, and extracted just the Win95 parts or the glide drivers.
Once I did this, I put these glide drivers that I extracted into the Mech2
directory. I also have those Environment Variables set as well in my
autoexec... like the FAQ says. Once I put the older glide drivers in the Mech2
directory, all my 3Dfx Mech2 problems went away... and boy does it look sweet!

Later,
Alan