Links to newsgroup posts?

Kenny

Mar 25, 2006, 6:53:57 AM3/25/06
I know how to post a clickable link to a particular ng like
but how do I post a link to a particular post or thread in a ng?

--
Kenny Cargill

"Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."

Fred

Mar 25, 2006, 7:05:38 AM3/25/06
Kenny wrote:
> I know how to post a clickable link to a particular ng like
> but how do I post a link to a particular post or thread in a ng?

If the recipient is subscribed to the news-server then the Message ID can be
given in this form.

Kenny

Mar 25, 2006, 8:53:03 AM3/25/06
Thanks for the reply, found it under Properties/Details for the message.

--
Kenny Cargill

"Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."

"Fred" <blu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Kenny

Whiskers

Mar 25, 2006, 11:58:11 AM3/25/06
On 2006-03-25, Kenny <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> I know how to post a clickable link to a particular ng like
> but how do I post a link to a particular post or thread in a ng?

The most reliable way is probably to find the article in 'Google Groups' and
post the URL for the 'Show Original' page: for example
<http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/380165da49e5c8d0
?dmode=source&hl=en> or <http://qurl.net/uh>.

For a thread,
<http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_frm/thread/58
7b1f7b598d9300/380165da49e5c8d0?tvc=1&q=group%3A24hoursupport.helpdesk+auth
or%3Akenny&hl=en#380165da49e5c8d0> or <http://shorterlink.com/?37CHTL>.

The nearest thing to an 'official' way to make a URL for a particular
newsgroup article is set out here
<http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/drafts/draft-gilman-news-url-01.txt>.

You can quote the unique Message-ID like this
<news:44253e37$0$20104$834e...@reader.greatnowhere.com> but that only
works if the person 'clicking' on it has a news-server connection running
and the article concerned is actually present on that news-server. Not
everyone has a news-server account, and no server carries all articles or
all newsgroups. (It is possible to read and post to newsgroups without
having either a news-reader program or an account with a news-server).

Or you can specify a free-to-read-from no-registration-required public
news-server where the article is (or was, or might be - articles aren't
necessarily kept forever), eg
<news://news.opera.com/mimod3-...@ID-107770.user.individual.net> but
that still requires the person trying to follow the link to have a program
installed that can follow a news:// URL; not everyone does (although many
web-browsers can manage it).

You can find out about public news-servers here, among other places
<http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Public_News_Servers/>.

--
-- Whiskers