AOL and newsreaders.

已查看 0 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Den

未读,
2007年9月5日 15:16:372007/9/5
收件人
Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
newsgroups.

My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
regret doing now)

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Den.

John Wunderlich

未读,
2007年9月5日 15:47:242007/9/5
收件人
Den <denm...@excite.com> wrote in

AOL does not provide access to NNTP Usenet servers for their
customers so you need to either look for a free news service (e.g.
<http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php>) or subscribe to a pay
service such as http://www.giganews.com.

HTH,
John

why?

未读,
2007年9月5日 15:53:282007/9/5
收件人

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:16:37 -0700, Den wrote:

>Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
>being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
>something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a

Usually yes, check other Google Groper posts.

>bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
>downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,

This is even worse and when you combine GG/AOL you surpass even NTL as
the new AOL'ers.

You are really heading downhill fast :-)

<snip>

Me

Den

未读,
2007年9月5日 16:00:342007/9/5
收件人

Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

Whiskers

未读,
2007年9月5日 16:39:482007/9/5
收件人

Be of good cheer, all is not lost. You can sign up with
<http://www.individual.net/> for 10 Euros a year and get one of the best
news-servers there is at any price. If you use that one, people won't even
know that you're using an AOL internet connection :))

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Blinky the Shark

未读,
2007年9月5日 18:10:362007/9/5
收件人

And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
less negative. :)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

未读,
2007年9月5日 18:11:562007/9/5
收件人

Now it's going to say, "but I don't live in Europe!" :)

Mara

未读,
2007年9月5日 18:34:582007/9/5
收件人
On 5 Sep 2007 22:10:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>John Wunderlich wrote:
>> Den <denm...@excite.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
>>> being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
>>> something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
>>> bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
>>> downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
>>> which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
>>> newsgroups.
>>>
>>> My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
>>> AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
>>> regret doing now)
>>>
>>> Any help with this would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Cheers - Den.
>>>

>> AOL does not provide access to NNTP Usenet servers for their
>> customers so you need to either look for a free news service (e.g.
>><http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php>) or subscribe to a pay
>> service such as http://www.giganews.com.
>
>And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
>recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
>less negative. :)

I wonder if it's called "The Eternal October" now. If not it probably should be.

--
I understand that Google are going to release a beta version of Google
Fuckwit shortly. Google Fuckwit will be used alongside Google Groups

Whiskers

未读,
2007年9月5日 18:41:502007/9/5
收件人
On 2007-09-05, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:

>>> Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.
>>
>> Be of good cheer, all is not lost. You can sign up with
>><http://www.individual.net/> for 10 Euros a year and get one of the best
>> news-servers there is at any price. If you use that one, people won't even
>> know that you're using an AOL internet connection :))
>
> Now it's going to say, "but I don't live in Europe!" :)

Lassen Sie uns warten und sehen ;))

Top

未读,
2007年9月5日 18:50:512007/9/5
收件人
Den wrote:

There are some free newsreaders that do quite well. Xnews is one of the
best around. Google for "newsreaders free" and there will be a list
many more.

http://freeusenetnews.com/newspage.html?date=Any%20Date will gt a list
of free news servers. Onething to look at while checking the list is
posting. Some servers don't allow only downloading.

Enjoy - Top

Top

未读,
2007年9月5日 18:53:112007/9/5
收件人
Den wrote:

I should have asked, is AOL your only internet/usenet provider? If so
someone else will have to answer. I don't use AOL so I'm not up to speed
on AOL.

Top

Dan C

未读,
2007年9月5日 18:58:092007/9/5
收件人
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:00:34 -0700, Den wrote:

>> You are really heading downhill fast :-)

> Yes, indeed it appears that I am in the shit.

More correctly, it appears that you were born stupid, and are destined to
remain so for all eternity.

Bugger off, dimwit. Newsgroups are way over your head. Just go play in
the corner.

Blinky the Shark

未读,
2007年9月5日 19:10:032007/9/5
收件人
Mara wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2007 22:10:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>>And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
>>recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
>>less negative. :)
>
> I wonder if it's called "The Eternal October" now. If not it probably should be.

I'd say something about "The Eternal Grope" but it sounds like soft
pron. :)

Blinky the Shark

未读,
2007年9月5日 19:13:442007/9/5
收件人

How come nobody ever gives him/her *my* link (new site, see sig)? :)

I mean, if y'all finally do get the Groper using a real news client (do
you know how much time y'all are going to have to spend getting it
configured for him?) he's/she's going to want to filter Gropers, right?
;)

Mara

未读,
2007年9月5日 19:23:002007/9/5
收件人
On 5 Sep 2007 23:10:03 GMT, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>> On 5 Sep 2007 22:10:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
>
>>>And of course when AOHell dropped NNTP, they emailed their users and
>>>recommended they become Google Gropers. Okay, their language was a bit
>>>less negative. :)
>>
>> I wonder if it's called "The Eternal October" now. If not it probably should be.
>
>I'd say something about "The Eternal Grope" but it sounds like soft
>pron. :)

Yow! My head! (the two phrases spawned cognitive dissonance)

Vanguard

未读,
2007年9月5日 23:23:582007/9/5
收件人
"Den" wrote in message
> [...]

I used aioe.org for awhile. They're free. I quit because the owner
was playing around with their own anti-spam algorithms some of which
violate RFCs for Usenet and some which are just plain stupid. At the
time I used them, they limited you to 25 posts per day.

Be careful of the freebie NSPs. Some slap spam signatures onto your
posts, like Teranews. While you might've gotten some insults because
of using Google Groups, you'll probably get just as slammed, or more,
for being a spamming affiliate with your spamified posts. If using a
freebie NSP, post to an *.test group to see what your posts end up
looking like. You could lurk over at alt.free.newsservers to see what
some users think of various free NSPs.

If you want to participate in Microsoft's newsgroups
(microsoft.public.*) then you can connect to their NNTP host at
msnews.microsoft.com. If you have quotas at your current NSP then
using Microsoft's will reduce your quota consumption on that other
NSP.

Den

未读,
2007年9月6日 11:14:572007/9/6
收件人

You are being a real prick,do you realise that? I may not know
everything there is about computers mate, but I can spot people like
you a mile off.

You obviously have a problem with yourself, if you feel the need to
write insults like you do from behind the safety of your keyboard,
with no apparent provocation. Bullied in School were we? I wonder if
you say stuff like this to peoples faces in real life, but somehow I
seriously doubt it.

I feel sorry for you mate.

If anyone else reads this, then thanks a lot for the positive posts.
Maybe you should give some advice to 'Dan C' as to how to treat people
(online, of course - I'm almost certain he would not do it in a real
life situation), and also maybe post some links which may help him
increase his self esteem.

Cheers - Den.

Dan C

未读,
2007年9月6日 13:17:592007/9/6
收件人
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:14:57 -0700, Den wrote:

>> Bugger off, dimwit. Newsgroups are way over your head. Just go play in
>> the corner.

> You are being a real prick,do you realise that? I may not know

> everything there is about computers mate, but I can spot people like
> you a mile off.

Bugger off, you ignorant little AOL/Google Groper loser. Just run along.

Den

未读,
2007年9月6日 14:00:312007/9/6
收件人

I meant what I said - you should seek some help for your attitude
problem. Try and follow the example of the nice, reasonable people who
realise that not everyone is an expert on everything.

I would imagine that someone as incredibly clever as you must be
hugely financially wealthy (not unlike the creators of AOL and Google,
I would imagine). Just goes to show eh, money does not make you happy!

Den

未读,
2007年9月6日 14:21:062007/9/6
收件人
On 6 Sep, 00:13, Blinky the Shark <no.s...@box.invalid> wrote:
> Top wrote:
> > Den wrote:
>
> >> Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
> >> being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is
> >> something I should be ashamed of, I have decided (on the advice of a
> >> bloke called Roger) to try and use a proper newsreader. I have
> >> downloaded Thunderbird, but I think there may be a problem with AOL,
> >> which is my ISP. I have read that AOL does not support usenet
> >> newsgroups.
>
> >> My question is, can I get around this problem, without changing from
> >> AOL? I would change, but I signed up for a 12 month contract (which I
> >> regret doing now)
>
> >> Any help with this would be much appreciated.
>
> >> Cheers - Den.
>
> > There are some free newsreaders that do quite well. Xnews is one of
> > the best around. Google for "newsreaders free" and there will be a
> > list many more.
>
> >http://freeusenetnews.com/newspage.html?date=Any%20Datewill gt a list

> > of free news servers. Onething to look at while checking the list is
> > posting. Some servers don't allow only downloading.
>
> How come nobody ever gives him/her *my* link (new site, see sig)? :)
>
> I mean, if y'all finally do get the Groper using a real news client (do
> you know how much time y'all are going to have to spend getting it
> configured for him?) he's/she's going to want to filter Gropers, right?
> ;)
>
> --
> Blinky RLU 297263
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28- Hide quoted text -

'Groper' speaking. I had a look at your site and it's very impressive.
Not unlike the type of site I would like to make! Sadly, I now realise
that unless I spend years trying to learn how to do it, it is unlikely
to happen. I obviously underestimated how much is involved!

Clearly, lots of people have a total downer on people who use Google
as a way of posting messages. I am pretty much a novice at this type
of stuff, and I am really surprised at the importance you place on
this. I'm genuinely curious about why this is - surely, providing the
message appears in the newsgroup, it does not matter how it got there!

Come on Blinky, I know we got off to a bad start, but enlighten me,
you are obviously clued up about this. Is there a genuine reason for
hating 'Gropers', or is it just a bit of snobbery on the part of
Computer experts?

Vanguard

未读,
2007年9月6日 15:18:592007/9/6
收件人
Don't bother with trolls, especially peuriles so obvious in being a
troll. You reacting to their post is what gets them off. It's their
form of masturbation.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

未读,
2007年9月6日 17:02:392007/9/6
收件人
Den wrote:

> Come on Blinky, I know we got off to a bad start, but enlighten me,
> you are obviously clued up about this. Is there a genuine reason for
> hating 'Gropers', or is it just a bit of snobbery on the part of
> Computer experts?

Actually, it is first because 95% of the spam in Usenet (and there is a
lot of it) is posted via Google Groups.

Most of the rest of GG posts are usually inane questions for which the
poster never finds his way back to get the answers.

--
-bts

Plato

未读,
2007年9月6日 17:04:012007/9/6
收件人
Den wrote:

> Hello all. I recently came on here for something, and was accused of
> being a 'Google Groper'. Although I am not actually sure if this is

Ignore any such comments and do what you want.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Dan C

未读,
2007年9月6日 17:56:322007/9/6
收件人
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:02:39 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>> Come on Blinky, I know we got off to a bad start, but enlighten me,
>> you are obviously clued up about this. Is there a genuine reason for
>> hating 'Gropers', or is it just a bit of snobbery on the part of
>> Computer experts?

> Actually, it is first because 95% of the spam in Usenet (and there is a
> lot of it) is posted via Google Groups.
> Most of the rest of GG posts are usually inane questions for which the
> poster never finds his way back to get the answers.

Which is exactly what we've got here, at least the inane part. Now if we
could just get rid of this one ("Den")...

Dan C

未读,
2007年9月6日 18:00:372007/9/6
收件人
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:00:31 -0700, Den wrote:

> I meant what I said - you should seek some help for your attitude
> problem.

I have no "attitude" problem. What I do have is a very low tolerance for
ignorance, and people who don't even try to help themselves before
screaming for "help". You fit both categories.

> Try and follow the example of the nice, reasonable people who
> realise that not everyone is an expert on everything.

Most people, however, know *something* about most things.

> I would imagine that someone as incredibly clever as you must be
> hugely financially wealthy (not unlike the creators of AOL and Google,
> I would imagine). Just goes to show eh, money does not make you happy!

Great logic there. Yeah.

I'd have to say that I'm not "hugely financially wealthy" (is that
English?), but am quite well off by most people's standards. I'm also
quite happy, although I don't see what that has to do with this discussion.

Can you just run along now, and go bother the special-education folks, or
something?

Mara

未读,
2007年9月6日 18:20:052007/9/6
收件人
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:21:06 -0700, Den <denm...@excite.com> wrote:

>Come on Blinky, I know we got off to a bad start, but enlighten me,
>you are obviously clued up about this. Is there a genuine reason for
>hating 'Gropers', or is it just a bit of snobbery on the part of
>Computer experts?

It basically started when AOL sent their cluebies to google groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

The average google group post is incomprehensible, inane, and "full of sound and
fury; signifying nothing.” (With apologies to The Bard)

plen...@yahoo.com

未读,
2007年9月7日 14:51:392007/9/7
收件人

> I have no "attitude" problem. What I do have is a very low tolerance for
> ignorance

Considering how ignorant you are about people and about life,
that is a very ironic position to take. Obviously, you have
a big ego and very little character.

plen...@yahoo.com

未读,
2007年9月7日 14:53:512007/9/7
收件人

> More correctly, it appears that you were born stupid, and are destined to
> remain so for all eternity.

You lack character.

Den

未读,
2007年9月7日 15:01:322007/9/7
收件人

Thank God for that! I was beginning to think I was the only one who
found the Guy unpleasant!

I'm glad he's not my Boss!

Dan C

未读,
2007年9月7日 22:37:032007/9/7
收件人

Sounds like you're related to him.

Bugger off, Google-Groper.

plen...@yahoo.com

未读,
2007年9月8日 21:48:092007/9/8
收件人
On Sep 7, 10:37 pm, Dan C <youmustbejok...@lan.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:53:51 -0700, plenty560 wrote:
> >> More correctly, it appears that you were born stupid, and are destined to
> >> remain so for all eternity.
> > You lack character.
>
> Sounds like you're related to him.
> Bugger off, Google-Groper.

How charming. Where did you get your social skills, as a prize out of
a cereal box?

Dan C

未读,
2007年9月8日 23:50:072007/9/8
收件人
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:48:09 -0700, plenty560 wrote:

>> Sounds like you're related to him.
>> Bugger off, Google-Groper.

> How charming. Where did you get your social skills, as a prize out of
> a cereal box?

You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. I'll bet
you couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. You
are a canker. A sore that won't go away. I would rather kiss a lawyer than
be seen with you.

You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm
deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, a
weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a
revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly
with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this
world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by
the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and then killed
themselves in recognition of what they had done.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species
as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very
thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you.
You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the
dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell?

You snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive its
beak into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to fly
briefly before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink shame of
your ignoble blood. May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea of
your own trite, foolish beliefs.

You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid, nasty
and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus.

Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you. You are
unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that
reality forgot.

And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements
of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you
hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more
weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle,
waiting for the bite of the snake?

You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and
obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living
emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease,
you puerile one-handed slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.

On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool. You are deficient
in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You
are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source of
all unpleasantness. You spread misery and sorrow wherever you go.

You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off, pillock.
You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You clouted boggish
foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You gormless
crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You
cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry pisshead cockup pratting
naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted
fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are degenerate,
noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. I despise
everything about you, and I wish you would go away.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid.
Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the
stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are
trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that
even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no
intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on
Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy
emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Nothing in our universe can really be
this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original
big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by
anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm
sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this,
you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength
left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about
unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh.

0 个新帖子