Building a new PC

Richard

Feb 8, 2008, 6:51:25 PM2/8/08
When most people build a new PC they build it and then take the hard drive
with there OS and stick it in there and a few clicks of the mouse your set.
However your new PC is more than likely corrupt, the OS anyway. So wouldn't
it be better to just rebuild the entire C drive from scratch so you know you
have a clean system on your new hardware. I have Vista upgrade. I think you
can just take the upgrade and install it and when it ask where is your XP
you just stick your disk in there and it say Oh gee you really have it so go
ahead and continue with your Vista installation, instead of installing the
entire XP OS and then the Vista over that which is just more room for
mistakes. You can do that with an Office upgrade. I've been out of the field
so long I just thought I would ask. As far as all of you young whip err
snappers out there just save your sly remakes for someone else because I'm
60 years old and my nerves just can't take it any more.

Thank you
The old man

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Feb 8, 2008, 7:58:02 PM2/8/08
"Richard" <mille...@cox.net> wrote:

Yes it's better to start the OS from scratch, this is why it's best to
have multiple Partitions, one for the OS (and expendable) the rest for
your files; stuff you keep handy, and data files from the programs
your used to and will install with the new OS.

You can always move all your files from one partition and use it as
your OS partition, doesn't have to be C:\ drive. of course this won't
work with an Upgrade OS (XP > Vista).

--

Gulp
http://images.usefulzero.com/d/209

Anthropy

Feb 8, 2008, 9:21:42 PM2/8/08

Definitely, clean install is always best where appropriate.

Message has been deleted

elaich

Feb 8, 2008, 10:55:08 PM2/8/08
"Richard" <mille...@cox.net> wrote in

> When most people build a new PC they build it and then take the hard
> drive with there OS and stick it in there and a few clicks of the
> mouse your set.

Please explain how this could even work to begin with. The installed OS
finds all different hardware, and will most likely crash. I tried it once
with Windows 2000. That's what happened.

rf

Feb 8, 2008, 11:25:51 PM2/8/08

"elaich" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:614mgsF...@mid.individual.net...

Then you did something wrong, probably missing drivers or some such.

I do this all the time and it does work. The OS does not care what hardware
it may have been running on in the past. It only cares about what it finds
on this boot.

--
Richard.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Feb 9, 2008, 12:07:14 AM2/9/08
elaich <|@|.|> wrote:

>> When most people build a new PC they build it and then take the hard
>> drive with there OS and stick it in there and a few clicks of the
>> mouse your set.

>Please explain how this could even work to begin with. The installed OS
>finds all different hardware, and will most likely crash. I tried it once
>with Windows 2000. That's what happened.

With Win2000 you would do a repair install to install all the drivers.

I would dual boot Win98/2000, Win98 didn't care where it was, it just
loaded drivers and continued on; didn't skip a beat :)

--

Vista rant.
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=446922&cid=22350458

wisdomkiller & pain

Feb 9, 2008, 2:43:42 AM2/9/08
rf wrote:

Now imagine you have XP or 2K on a PATA disk from the old PC with chipset#1,
and want to transfer it to a brand new mainboard with SATA ports and (if
you are lucky) one leftover PATA, with chipset#2.
You can try to install the mainboard drivers of chipset#2 from the supplied
CD (if there is any, for XP or - beware - 2K) beforehand. Most of the time
the installer will just barf something like "matching hardware not found"
and quit.
Ok, you may be able to extract the infs and cabs and whatever, but it will
be a P.I.T.A at least.
Btw., win98 was fine regarding moving hardware - except it often would not
recognize the cd drive on the new hardware, and therefore was unable to
load the new drivers, though detected .... you might work around that by
These days, even linux has difficulties booting from changed hardware.
The best portable OS was NT4.

wisdomkiller & pain

Feb 9, 2008, 2:56:34 AM2/9/08
Richard wrote:

From what I heard, Vista Upgrade requires a _running_ predecessor OS to
install. Though, there are workarounds.
Translated from a German site
http://www.vista-blog.de/trick-ermoeglicht-clean-install-mit-upgrade-version/

1. boot from Vista Upgrade dvd, do NOT enter product key, select correct
version (the one you have the key for)
2. re-run install program after the first startup and enter the product key
3. select "user defined", NOT "upgrade". Vista will install a 2nd time
4. activate vista and delete "windows.old" folder

John Holmes

Feb 9, 2008, 7:12:26 AM2/9/08
Anthropy "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

Not true in all cases. I've succesfully upgraded major components like
mainboard, processor, memory and video card all at once, using the
original harddrive a few times. A repair install fixes it in most cases.
I'd suggest to try this exercise first. If some goes wrong, one can
always perform a clean install. Don't forget to backup the precious pr0n
collection first!
;-)

--
Your mother was an impudent office clerk who was so incompetent she had
to be kept in a large vat of porridge.

Richard

Feb 9, 2008, 8:22:46 AM2/9/08

"elaich" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:614mgsF...@mid.individual.net...

I have build a 1,000 computers in Silicon Valley and I have took a hard
drive with the C:\ and stuck it on a new computer maybe 20 or 30 times and
it takes about 30 min. because it is finding all kind of new hardware. So
after about 50 clicks form your mouse and 3 or 4 reboots your in and it
works but it's not a good idea to do it. I haven't tried it in 5 years so
now a days I don't know, I did it mostly with 95 and 98. It is best to just
re build the OS. It sounds like a lot of work but if you know your computer
it's not so bad.and you'll be glad you did.

Aardvark

Feb 9, 2008, 8:24:23 AM2/9/08
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 22:22:38 -0500, richard wrote:

> Personally, I'd do a clean install from scratch.

Personally, I'd do a clean install from a CD with the OS on. Dunno where
to buy scratch. :-)

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

philo

Feb 9, 2008, 9:00:32 AM2/9/08

"Richard" <mille...@cox.net> wrote in message

Win9x would usually re-configure if introduced to a new H/W environment...
but Win2k/XP usually require a repair install.
Most of the time a repair install will do the trick...but once in a while a
clean install is required

Christopher Jahn

Feb 9, 2008, 6:39:30 PM2/9/08
John Holmes <nospam...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Not true in all cases. I've succesfully upgraded major
> components like mainboard, processor, memory and video card
> all at once, using the original harddrive a few times.

I've transplanted HDD into new computers and booted; yes, it can
be done. But I don't recommend it, either. Unless you're using
nearly identical hardware, it takes longer for the registry to
update the new drivers than it would to do a clean install.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Where do all the characters you BACKSPACE over go?

Star@*.*

Feb 10, 2008, 2:31:36 AM2/10/08
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:51:25 -0700, "Richard" <mille...@cox.net>
wrote:

With Vista Upgrade the old method of show it the CD/DVD doesn't work.
To use the Vista Upgrade you must have the qualifing product installed
on the HDD and the product must be activated.
Next you can use the Vista Upgrade DVD to do a clean install but you
need to do 2 installs. For the first install you do not put in a key
then on the second install you enter the key.
Do a search on Google for "clean install vista upgrade dvd" for the
detailed info.
Don't worry about the 2 installs Vista installs pretty quick.

Art

Plato

Feb 15, 2008, 4:23:02 AM2/15/08

Get with the program. I had to. I may even be older than you are. . .

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Feb 15, 2008, 4:23:04 AM2/15/08
Penn...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

> Yes it's better to start the OS from scratch, this is why it's best to
> have multiple Partitions, one for the OS (and expendable) the rest for

Cant argue with that, tho I wich I could :)

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/