Google Grupper understøtter ikke længere nye Usenet-opslag eller -abonnementer. Tidligere indhold er fortsat synligt.

Defragmenting problems

0 visninger
Gå til det første ulæste opslag

Leonard

ulæst,
22. maj 2004, 14.20.3122.05.2004
til
Recently when defragmenting upon completion the message tells me that some
files could not be defragmented then it offers details of which files
weren't moved but there are no details to be found , I'm using XP home any
ideas ?

riz

ulæst,
22. maj 2004, 18.20.2422.05.2004
til
I thought it was normal that some files can't be moved?

"Leonard" <len.th...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Kevin O'Neill at dot

ulæst,
22. maj 2004, 20.16.4222.05.2004
til
"Leonard" <len.th...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Like you, I have Windows XP home, but because I'm somewhat new to this
game you also should consider opinions from another respondents.

If you have antivirus software and a firewall and update both regularly,
then it
is unlikely you have a problem.

The files that could not be defragmented or moved probably are system files.
If this is the case, there's nothing to worry about. You can defragment
again
and see what happens -- it can't hurt anything but probably would be a waste
of time.

Occasionally computer files can become corrupted -- I don't know all the
possible causes, but improper shut-down (e.g., from a power interruption)
is one. I don't know what the defragmenter does when it encounters a
corrupted file, but Kim Komando (komando.com) recommends
"Error-checking" before defragmenting. (The Error-checking function is
started in the same window where you start the defragmenter.) Error
checking takes a lot more time than defragmenting does -- don't sit and
wait during an error-checking session; go do something else for a while.

I think viruses also can corrupt computer files; in this case,
error-checking
might not repair the corruption (damage).

When you press "View Report" at the end of a defragmenting session, you
might not see the names of the files that were not defragmented because of
the relative positioning of the headings in the "Files that did not
defragment:"
window. Try dragging the vertical lines that separate the column titles
("Fragments," "File Size," and "File Name ") in that window to change the
widths of the columns displayed -- some trial-and error is necessary.

Kevin O'Neill

P.S. System files are normally "hidden" (their icons are not shown to
prevent
accidental editing or deletion), although "unhiding" them (described in the
next
paragraph) will not change the fact that the defragmenter "avoids" them.

To see the icons for those files, right click on any folder (e.g., a folder
on
your desktop), then select "Explore" (this opens windows explorer).
Near the top of the explorer window, click on "Tools," then select "Folder
Options." In the Folder Options window, click on the "View" tab, then
look below in "Advanced Settings:" for "Hidden files and folders." Then you
can check (or uncheck as needed) to make the hidden folders visible.

Also, there are several other viewing options you can select that are not
related to hidden folders that make using XP more convenient than the
default folder-viewing settings.

0 nye opslag