should I really upgrade my IE 6.0??

MB_

Aug 15, 2009, 11:18:38 AM8/15/09
I have IE 6.x at home and IE 7.0 at work. I prefer IE to Firefox and I do
NOT want to use IE 8.0 at this time.

But I also prefer the look and feel of IE 6.x compared to 7.0.

However, I have also heard that I should upgrade to at least IE 7.0 for
security reasons.

Is this true? I still always utilize the Microsoft security upgrades. So do
I really need to go from 6.x to 7.0?

Mel

Mike Easter

Aug 15, 2009, 12:10:29 PM8/15/09
MB_ wrote:
> I have IE 6.x at home

IE 6 is hopelessly outdated and unable to properly display modern
webpages.

> and IE 7.0 at work. I prefer IE to Firefox and I
> do NOT want to use IE 8.0 at this time.

OK.

> But I also prefer the look and feel of IE 6.x compared to 7.0.

Whatever that means.

> However, I have also heard that I should upgrade to at least IE 7.0
for
> security reasons.

Security and proper display of modern webpages.

> Is this true? I still always utilize the Microsoft security upgrades.
> So do I really need to go from 6.x to 7.0?

You need to do something that doesn't involve using 6. Opera, Safari,
Chrome, Firefox, IE7. Name your poison.

You might be able to run 6 securely if you disable enough stuff, but I
quit running IE6 some time ago, and (even tho') I'm running Win98se
right now, if that tells you anything about how bad I would consider 6
and its weaknesses compared to some other things such as an old
unsupported MS OS. Naturally part of my personal problem with 6 is that
W98 wasn't able to up to IE6SP2 making 6 even worse on a W98 machine
than an XP one.

But even XP should go to a different browser than 6.

On my XP installs I use Firefox and/or Chrome. On my Vista install I'm
presently running IE7. On my numerous linux installs I usually use
Firefox. On my W98 install I usually run Opera, currently v. 10beta3.

Notice that there are no IE6es in there. Nowhere.

--
Mike Easter

OldGringo38

Aug 15, 2009, 12:30:30 PM8/15/09
Two Cents To The MB_ Post:
Express your freedom of choice. If you prefer sitting in the dark,
then do so.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

*Less*

Aug 15, 2009, 12:30:22 PM8/15/09

"MB_" <m...@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message ..
Hi Mel,

It looks we can use IE6,x till 2014,

http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?s=9433af0b1e02896ced9375b84954df49&p=1914785#post1914785

I am still with IE6, but when IE6 is lazy to open certain Websites I
switch to Firefox and Voila,
Firefox is faster than IE6,x. Firefox is not set as a default browser in
my Computer the reason
is I have to decide if Thunderbird or Seamonkey works better with Firefox
then I will set FF.as a default.

Good Luck

*Less*

Message has been deleted

1PW

Aug 15, 2009, 5:00:30 PM8/15/09

Hello Mel:

Strictly from an attack vector position, the IE7 Window Injection
Vulnerability is still *unsolvable* yet is somewhat preferable over
IE6 where nothing else will do. IE8 is problematic on a resource
starved system and has given problems to many who have tried it.

I would seriously rethink your browser position, if only from a system
security standpoint. You are /undeniably/ jeopardizing yourself now
with IE6 or IE7.

--
Pete

John Dean

Aug 15, 2009, 6:48:55 PM8/15/09

I'm still running 6 on the PC but will have to change to 7 soon as I already
have on the laptop - too many sites not responding well to 6 and quite a few
sites (eg YouTube) flashing up messages that they are to discontinue support
for 6. So I suggest we bite the bullet, but, like you, I'm in no hurry to
run 8.
One thing I don't get - what's the difference between opening up something
in a tab and opening it in a new window? What are the advantages?
--
John Dean
Oxford

Nathans_ie8team

Aug 18, 2009, 2:53:11 AM8/18/09

Hello, my name is Nate and Iï¿œm a member of the IE8
Outreach Team. John is correct; a number of popular sites including
YouTube will be discontinuing support for IE6. I would also like to
point out that a recent independent study conducted by a third party,
NSS Labs, reported that IE8 has a higher block rate for both malware
and phishing than other leading web browsers. For more information
about the study, visit the IE8 Blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/08/13/real-world-protection-with-ie8-s-smartscreen-filter.aspx?ocid=ie8_sm_a

In addition to increased security, IE8 has a number of features like
webslices, accelerators, and InPrivate browsing that enhance the user
experience. That is why although Microsoft will continue to provide
support for IE6, we recommend upgrading to IE8 by visiting:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx?ocid=ie8_sm_a

Best,
Nate

*Less*

Aug 18, 2009, 10:06:53 AM8/18/09

"Nathans_ie8team" <Nathans...@live-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message .

Hello Nathans,

I have visited the IE8 Blog, it looks very impressive on top of the Blog,
but I took the Time to read some of the Posts on the Bottom of the Blog
Page,
and look what I have found:

# re: Real-World Protection With IE8's SmartScreen FilterT
Friday, August 14, 2009 11:00 AM by Wuuuut
The NSS Labs report is exposed right here:

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200912/3268/Can-you-trust-the-NSS-Labs-report-touting-the-benefits-of-IE8

Lying much, Microsoft?

Don't get me wrong I am still using IE6,x and have Firefox as a backup for
the Websites that IE6,x is too lazy to open. When IE6, will die I will set
Firefox as my
default browser and test it.

*Less*

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Aug 18, 2009, 10:52:30 AM8/18/09
*Less* wrote:

> Don't get me wrong I am still using IE6,x and have Firefox as a backup
> for the Websites that IE6,x is too lazy to open. When IE6, will die I
> will set Firefox as my default browser and test it.

Normally, recommendations are "the other way 'round" there, Less. Use
Firefox (no ActiveX vulnerabilities, after all), and maybe use IE6 for
the extremely few sites that a) you trust, and b) need the dreaded
ActiveX to actually work.

Personally, I avoid sites like that. Even my bank works just fine with
all browsers.

IE6 has been "dead" for several years.

--
-bts

*Less*

Aug 19, 2009, 2:20:43 AM8/19/09

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in message .

My problem is I am using IE6,x and OE6,x for the last eight Years,
and got used to use them, I like Firefox it seems faster than IE6,x, but I
have to learn more on how to
customize and use it, then I have to decide which one to install between
Seamonkey or
Thunderbird to replace OE6,x.

*Less*

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Aug 19, 2009, 8:17:15 AM8/19/09
*Less* wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in message .

>> IE6 has been "dead" for several years.
>>

>> [Please snip signatures]

> My problem is I am using IE6,x and OE6,x for the last eight Years, and
> got used to use them, I like Firefox it seems faster than IE6,x, but
> I have to learn more on how to customize and use it, then I have to
> decide which one to install between Seamonkey or Thunderbird to
> replace OE6,x.

Use Thunderbird. It's the companion email and news program to Firefox.
When you install it, T-bird will offer to import all your account
settings, email, and address book. It will not import your news account,
though (neither will SeaMonkey, I believe.)

SeaMonkey is a "suite" of programs (containing other things you probably
won't need), and is updated less often.

*Less*

Aug 19, 2009, 9:30:49 AM8/19/09

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in message .

You are right, for what I read in Newsgroups most of Mozilla Firefox Users
do
recommend Thunderbird over SeaMonkey, soon I will dive and install
"Thunderbird",
and set Firefox as a default Browser.

Thanks for Your Advice,

*Less*