Vista keeps BSOD all the time - Blue screen - any ideas?

BertieB...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 7:05:54 AM4/23/09
Seems to be almost at random but within a few minutes of boot up. BSOD
error message is usually a memory error?

Is it worth re-installing Vista or does this sound like a physical
memory problem?

Bigguy

Apr 23, 2009, 7:08:01 AM4/23/09
It sounds very much like faulty memory.

Guy

TompangBuddy.Com

Apr 23, 2009, 7:17:51 AM4/23/09
Hello,

Well you almost nailed it - memory faulty. To verify, you will need to
either do a memory test using something like MemTest86+.

The other way is to open up your PC and remove one memory chip (assuming you
have 2 chips), if the problem persists, switch to using the other chip on
its own to narrow down the faulty chip.

___________
http://www.tompangbuddy.com
Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
VCD/DVD
<BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Peter Foldes

Apr 23, 2009, 7:50:55 AM4/23/09
What it sounds like is nothing if you do not post the exact Stop (BSOD) error that
it is showing. With knowing it we can usually pinpoint the issue or fix

--
Peter

philo

Apr 23, 2009, 8:01:41 AM4/23/09
TompangBuddy.Com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well you almost nailed it - memory faulty. To verify, you will need to
> either do a memory test using something like MemTest86+.
>
> The other way is to open up your PC and remove one memory chip (assuming you
> have 2 chips), if the problem persists, switch to using the other chip on
> its own to narrow down the faulty chip.

Yes I agree that it very well might be a RAM problem

Vista does have a built in memory diagnostic utiltiy
so you do not even have to get memtest

Mike Hall - MVP

Apr 23, 2009, 10:10:43 AM4/23/09
<BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message

No, re-installing will not help one iota.. Use this to test memory..

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

richard

Apr 23, 2009, 10:23:22 AM4/23/09
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:10:43 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
<mike...@mvps.org> wrote:

><BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Seems to be almost at random but within a few minutes of boot up. BSOD
>> error message is usually a memory error?
>>
>> Is it worth re-installing Vista or does this sound like a physical
>> memory problem?
>>

>No, re-installing will not help one iota.. Use this to test memory..
>
>http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

You should have mentioned that to perform this test he needs a working
computer with CD drive.
Otherwise, attempting to do so on the same machine is like totally
futile and useless.

richard

Apr 23, 2009, 10:25:34 AM4/23/09

So how does one go about testing memory on a computer who's OS won't
even fully boot?

John Barnett MVP

Apr 23, 2009, 11:13:49 AM4/23/09
I would be inclined to use a diagnostic application such as MemTest86
(http://www.memtest86.com) Get someone to download the free ISO version and
burn it to a CD. Start your PC, quickly insert the CD and get it to test the
memory.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Apr 23, 2009, 11:33:24 AM4/23/09
In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, John Barnett MVP wrote:

> Start your PC, quickly insert the CD and ...

You must have awfully fast fingers, Sir.

--
-bts

R. C. White

Apr 23, 2009, 11:54:40 AM4/23/09
Hi, Bertie.

"Random" BSODs are almost always hardware errors - but not always memory
problems. There are MANY other types of hardware errors, all the way from
dust bunny buildup to excess heat to RF interference - and many more.

Since your problem occurs "within a few minutes of boot up", it's not likely
to be from heat. Does your computer boot all the way to the desktop? Or
does the BSOD happen before Vista is fully loaded? Does it happen when one
of your startup applications is loading? Or is it after everything seems to
be working - and then BSOD after a few minutes of Vista actually running,
when a particular memory location might be accessed for the first time?

Have you had your computer case open recently? Cable problems can pop up at
any time, but especially after hardware changes. Ditto with graphics cards
or other boards not fully seated into their slots on the motherboard.

Obviously - and unfortunately - we are all just shooting in the dark. All
we know about your computer is what you've told us - which isn't much. We
don't know make and model or if you built it yourself. We don't even know
if it is a desktop or laptop. We don't know if you have 1 stick of memory
or 4 or some other number.

Please tell us more about your computer so that we have a better chance to
help you. Wouldn't hurt to mention your exact Vista version, too.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

John Barnett MVP

Apr 23, 2009, 12:56:07 PM4/23/09
I do :-)

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

mail/post..

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in message

Peter Foldes

Apr 23, 2009, 1:17:26 PM4/23/09
R.C.

Perfectly correct. That is why I asked the OP at the beginning of this thread for
the BSOD message which he still has not complied with posting it

--
Peter

"R. C. White" <r...@grandecom.net> wrote in message

Hans

Apr 23, 2009, 1:52:54 PM4/23/09
You don't give any information about your system. Did your system worked
before.
Reset your bios to default. No overclocking!
Do you have the last bios update?

<BertieB...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

Mike Hall - MVP

Apr 23, 2009, 2:31:26 PM4/23/09
"richard" <mem...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

The instructions are for a floppy OR a CD..

Gene E. Bloch

Apr 23, 2009, 2:35:00 PM4/23/09

On another computer you download one of the free memory tester ISO files &
burn it to a CD. Then you boot the problem computer from the CD.

memtest86 and DrMem are two names that I remember (or possibly
misremember).

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Gene E. Bloch

Apr 23, 2009, 2:38:30 PM4/23/09
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:56:07 +0100, John Barnett MVP wrote:

> I do :-)
>
> --

But slowpokes like me and Shagnasty can still do it - just open the drive
while you can. Insert the CD, close the drive, & restart; use the power
switch if you can't restart otherwise.

Unanswered question: what happens with slot-loading drives?