IE6 keeps crashing

Dave

Feb 13, 2007, 3:14:17 PM2/13/07
Hi
Have problem with IE6 it keeps saying "IE6 has encountered a problem & needs
to close" because this keeps happening Ive disabled all plug-ins/add ons &
even tried using another browser (Firefox) but that crashes to with the same
message. I have noticed that some sites are ok so I'm assuming its a
plug-in problem can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem is

Thanks in advance of any help

Dave

Robert Aldwinckle

Feb 13, 2007, 4:58:35 PM2/13/07
(posting from ie6.setup via msnews; no access to USENET)
"Dave" <kus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

A good start to a diagnosis would be the Error Signature.
Click on the [click here] link in the Error Reporting Tool's first window.
Doubleclick in the Error Signature's text and press Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c
Then paste the result into a reply.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

philo

Feb 13, 2007, 4:45:14 PM2/13/07

"Dave" <kus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Try scanning for spyware and adware.

also, if you have AOL toolbar...remove it!

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Feb 14, 2007, 6:51:22 AM2/14/07
"Dave" <kus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Do a thorough malware check. Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
For quite a few people it's by installing Messenger Plus, whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

bar

Feb 14, 2007, 2:14:03 PM2/14/07
Here is my 2 cents worth...

1. I have read recently that main culprit in ME is pgm PCHealth, the
stuff that sends you back in time, to System Restore (a part of
PCHealth). The author recommends to get rid of it, but even if PCHealth
/System Restore is gone ME will to continue to write changes to the
hidden restore file, in C:\root, so create another, fake one, text
only, read only archive etc., in place of original. The reason is that
ME fills the hard drive. I have not done this in spite of IE6 problem
because I do not dare. Will do it after I do #2 and have ME to XP
upgrade handy, just in case. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

2. A friend of mine had the same IE6 problems with XP. He used cable but
had old dial-up modem installed and never used. He took it out for the
other reasons and the IE6 problem was gone. Misterious arre the ways of
the Lord! I will take it out soon and would also appreciate any feedback
on this.

z.