Wireelss networking problem

JOHNNY 5

Apr 26, 2006, 2:41:37 PM4/26/06
I have a pc in my bedroom which is connected to broadband via a usb cable.I
have just bought a wireless cable router and a wireless pci card.
What i am trying to do is move my computer into another room away from the
router and modem and pick up the internet via the pci wireless card.
I have.Connected the modem to the router.Put the pci card in the computer
and moved the computer to another room but i am not receiving any signal.

Reading the instructions it says i have to connect the router to an ethernet
card in the computer.My friend has his laptop set up the way i described
although obviously he has a pcmcia card in the laptop.

Is it possible to do what i want.If i connect to an ethernet card via the
router,then i dont have wireless connection and this is what i want to
achieve.
Any help here would be most welcome.

why?

Apr 26, 2006, 2:57:48 PM4/26/06

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:41:37 GMT, JOHNNY 5 wrote:

>I have a pc in my bedroom which is connected to broadband via a usb cable.I
>have just bought a wireless cable router and a wireless pci card.
>What i am trying to do is move my computer into another room away from the
>router and modem and pick up the internet via the pci wireless card.
>I have.Connected the modem to the router.Put the pci card in the computer
>and moved the computer to another room but i am not receiving any signal.
>
>Reading the instructions it says i have to connect the router to an ethernet
>card in the computer.My friend has his laptop set up the way i described
>although obviously he has a pcmcia card in the laptop.

Read the instructions again carefully, starting at step 1. Read then
through a few times before you start configuring anything.

>Is it possible to do what i want.If i connect to an ethernet card via the

Yes, that what you get with the cable modem connected to a wireless
router and a PC/laptop with a wireless card.

>router,then i dont have wireless connection and this is what i want to
>achieve.

Read the instructions again.

>Any help here would be most welcome.

You connect the router to a PC using a wired connection. Most commonly
this is done so that you can connect to the web based configuration of
the wireless router. From there you setup the SSID, security level WEP /
WPA (WPA is better), allowed MAC addresses (the MAC address of your PCs
PCI wireless card) this is used to tell the wireless router to only
allow your PC to connect.

Once the wireless router is configured you unplug the PC, enable the
wireless connection, and configure it, using the SSID, same WEP/WPA
settings etc.

Search previous posts in 24HSHD

In the last few days there have been several posts of the usual home
networking links.

Me

Duane Arnold

Apr 26, 2006, 3:31:34 PM4/26/06

"JOHNNY 5" <john...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I suggest you get on the phone with the router's tech support and let them
help you set things up.

Duane :)

Whiskers

Apr 26, 2006, 4:25:00 PM4/26/06

Probably, the wireless router is set up in the factory with the wireless
function turned off, so that you do not have to have an un-configured and
un-restricted wireless access point available to everyone within range
(and potentially opening your computer to the whole world) while you get
the initial configuration set up.

Once you have used a wired connection to get the internet working and set
up the wireless system securely, then you can activate the wireless feature
and use it normally.

--
-- Whiskers